The Carrefour 2020 Thread

Carrefour’s inconsistency is a curse and a blessing. After I recently moved and went to a different one, I was like, "oh man, if I had known it wasn’t available here I would’ve stocked up on Colman’s mustard… but wait, what’s this… corn chips from Belgium and Coulommiers cheese. I guess maybe I’ll call it even.

It’s not a supermarket, but you can also find a selection of imported western junkfood (and stuff like foreign beer, Korean ramen, Japanese candy, etc) at POYA.

Colman’s Hot English Mustard is proof God loves us. I slather that stuff on steaks to such an excess that I’m pretty much just tasting the condiment. The meat is a secondary consideration.

I got some Colman’s at Jason’s a little while ago, but I haven’t run across it recently. Those small jars last a pretty long time, so I’m thinking of just having my parents send a care package of 4 or 5 of those tiny jars.

The sad irony ( as an English Man), is that I prefer the brown mild mustard they do . They label it as , “French”. One can buy the yellow stuff but not my French . :disappointed_relieved:

About colmans, I never had it before coming to taiwan, and it was a revelation. Started with the pre-mix but the cool thing is Carrefour also had the powder, so you can mix it and tweak it if so inclined.

Anyone seen Bisto gravy anywhere . Seems to have gone ?

I saw it (Colemans’s) at Dollars store in their Kaoshiung store. For anyone that cares they have good EU/Japan beer sale for the moon fest holiday : (see page 5 of ad) http://www.dols.com.tw/OnlineDM.php#

1 Like

Thank you, kind sir.

Your up early like me, at Sunrise haha!

Buy all your underwear at RT Mart. They have a brand called In Extenso. You’ll thank me later.

Hot English Mustard was a revelation indeed. I had no idea.

They got French’s Worcestershire Sauce now, been having at that with the steak.

If anyone happens to see the EE Fire-Roasted Diced tomatoes available, I’d like to know. My stockpile has almost run out.

I also miss the cheaper Carrefour mozzarella balls. Haven’t seen those in the Danshui Carrefour in a while - not sure about other branches. But at least the Danshui branch has, so far at least, remained surprisingly international.

I’m eternally curious how supplying works (or rather, doesn’t seem to work) for grocery chains in Taiwan.

Oh, unexpected discovery at Carrefour, from a few months ago: frozen spinach! Not something I use often, but nice to have in the freezer.

I have hoarding tendencies anyway, but man, shopping for groceries in Taiwan sure doesn’t help. It’s like any given product may disappear for months or years - so you’d better buy all their stock now!

1 Like

Give PX Mart a chance. They are bringing a lot of reasonably priced good stuff. The cheese selection is pretty descents well as yogurt. Bought me some ramen soup which was truly amazing for the prize. Sauces.

Oh and ice cream. For those of you who can. I just stand there looking lovingly at the 6 freezers packed with imported goodies and drool. They had a couple of local organics which are also tasty.

The PX Marts may be even more variable than the Carrefours and Wellcomes. We’ve got one near us that’s not much bigger than a convenience store - yet others approach Carrefour in size.

One liter of Valentina. Not really familiar with this one. I think it is supposed to be super mild.
Huge amount.
Might have some difficulty with this one as I don’t really make mexican-style food when I’m in Taiwan, though I’d like to change that.

1 Like

I would saw this applies to most chain super markets in the USA as well in NZ/AU. A Ralph’s market in Downtown San Diego is much smaller than say out in suburban Orange County (Southern Los Angeles). Same in Melbourne (AU) the Coles supermarket at Southern Cross Station (Central CBD) is small and not all items, while ones outside the CBD (Cental) area are much bigger and has more.

I felt like splashing out and having some veal tonight. It’s vanished without a trace. I swear to Allah Carrefour are trying to gaslight me.

1 Like

Can someone tell which handwash do you buy at Carrefour?

I find rows and rows of shampoo and shower gels, but don’t seem to find a basic handwash.

I usually buy Little Jesus brand handwash.

EDIT: Little Jesus brand handwash

1 Like

Wow, you can’t get any more immaculate than that!