The Chinois are a coming

the Chinese are coming, the Chinese are coming. I personally think (and of course thats just me folks, no need for hate mail and minuetae hashers as yet) that Taiwan should open itself up to Mainland Chinese tourists. We need to defuse the tension across the straits. Let your average Chinese know about Taiwan and its people as friends not as enemies. Although there is going to be technical problems. Cultural problems. The mainlanders are going to look like Taiwanese but act different, etc, etc etc. There are going to be issues, but Taiwan cant be ostrich like and just continue to refuse mainland Tourists. More then a Million Taiwanese live in China apparently. Lets let the average Chinese come here and see for themselves a different ‘country’ then theirs.

i predict within a year or two, regular charter flights of the same airlines to the same destinations as currently practiced on holidays. Those will start as twice a week kind of things, progressing to once daily soon enough. And it wont be long before ANYONE can fly on those direct flights. Wont be long before regular Chinese citizens can get 30 day visas and all that stuff.

will there be problems? yes. Will it perhaps change the underlying TAiwanese-ness of Taiwan? Yes. Is that a good thing? Yes and no. The Chinese tourists may not be desirable to all, but in the long run, Taiwan cant avoid China forever. WE have to interact with China and hopefully only in peaceful and mutually agreeable ways.

will HELLO KITTY become HELLO PANDA??

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003331951

In a previous thread you asked, “Is Taiwan really ready for hordes of Mainland tourists?”

Now you say, the Chinese are coming.

So does this mean we are ready for them? :laughing:

[quote=“stan”]In a previous thread you asked, “Is Taiwan really ready for hordes of Mainland tourists?”

Now you say, the Chinese are coming.

So does this mean we are ready for them? :laughing:[/quote]

:slight_smile::slight_smile: i donno if we are ready? but they IS a comin !!!

Chino suave, like myself, are welcomed in the south. :laughing:

You know, after CSB was elected in 2004, I honestly (swear to God) decided I’d give him a chance. I don’t really care much about party history, and I have no special love for the KMT. After a very divisive campaign that year, I thought he might choose to go the compromise practical route.

And one key element of that practical route, for me, was exactly what you’re talking about above. But the truth is, it just hasn’t happened. I haven’t seen any hint of easing. The only cross-strait “direct” charters that have been put into place are scheduled around major holidays, and clearly only for the benefit of Taiwanese living on the mainland… ie, potential voters.

[quote=“cctang”]You know, after CSB was elected in 2004, I honestly (swear to God) decided I’d give him a chance. I don’t really care much about party history, and I have no special love for the KMT. After a very divisive campaign that year, I thought he might choose to go the compromise practical route.

And one key element of that practical route, for me, was exactly what you’re talking about above. But the truth is, it just hasn’t happened. I haven’t seen any hint of easing. The only cross-strait “direct” charters that have been put into place are scheduled around major holidays, and clearly only for the benefit of Taiwanese living on the mainland… ie, potential voters.[/quote]

the Taiwanese (and im guilty of the same) are constant procrastinators when it comes to controversial things to do. Why do something today when you can do it tomorrow? And many things move at a truly glacial pace. Many people hope the unhappy situation will change by the time they have to do anything about it. Taiwanese bureaucrats are born experts at this type of thing. Sometimes you have to wait for the relevant party to retire almost before something gets done.

however, you will be surprised at the relative speed this thing is going forward !! First we had the Taiwanese planes flying over ONLY on chinese new year to China and having to stop over in HK first. then we had NOTHING cuz Taiwan wouldnt agree to Chinese airlines flying over to Taiwan. Then we had that happen , but only for CNY. And now we have that happening for several major holidays a year. And there is more and more talk bout the particulars of having the tourists over. They no longer have to touch down in HK, and only just skirt HK airspace now. Theres an agreement coming soon about using CHEJU airspace for northern china flights. Theres talk of how many tourists allowed per day and exact tour packages to be set up.

So by Taiwanese bureaucratic standards, things are moving along at RAPID PACE !!

CSB has nothing to do with opening up with China. He is an OSTRICH where China is concerned. Definitely of the "if you dont think about it China will go away " camp. And more glacial in dealings with China then TEN bureaucrats . :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The PEOPLE of Taiwan want to liase further with China . Thats the driving force. Right now the driving force for direct and scheduled passenger flights are the million or so Taiwanese living in China. They want daily and many many flights available back and forth. And when these flights happen they will soon open up to anyone who wanted to use these flights. And soon after that you can imagine the Chinese tourists may want the same rights as other ‘foreigners’ in Taiwan and want to be able to come visit individually instead of in a group. And want to be able to stay say 30 days at a time, and whatever. These things are coming. Slowly yes, but coming. JUst dont hold your breath. You may get married and have your kid in kindergarten before it all comes to pass but? its headin that way