The Coffee Thread

I was told by my favourite coffee shop owner in Japan a few years ago that Kalita has discontinued this nice entry level grinder. Have you seen it back on sale?

Guy

No. It was several years ago when I saw it here.

1 Like

Nice espresso here:

1 Like

Sometimes I throw the remaining of a fresh brewed pot in the fridge and then heat it up by cup in the microwave the next morning for my first cup. Tastes fine as long as nothing in the fridge is getting it’s funk into the coffee.

Anyone else drink day old brewed coffee?

Same here - I bottle the entire pot to prevent any unwanted odors. Better hot or iced coffee than the convenience store stuff. Still not as good as my Keurig brewer though.

1 Like

me, three. Drink it next day heated up, or put in fridge overnight for iced coffee the next day on hot summer day

A HWC roasters outlet opened up close to me recently. Neat coffee shop selling specialty coffee at decent prices. I picked up their blue mountain blend beans and its right on point for blue mountain . That was also the cheapest blend at 300nt/half pound.
Seems like they are based in Taichung but opening up outlets in various places.

1 Like

One is coming (soon!) on the ground floor of Taipei Main Station.

Haven’t tried them but look forward to giving them a go.

Btw, the only Taichung coffee roaster I am familiar with is Mojo Coffee, served with panache in Taipei City at Avenue and Sugar Pea. Good stuff!

Guy

I just bought this Yirgacheffe and it smells awesome even before I have opened it.

Edit - these guys are from Tainan

1 Like

I presume that’s from HWC? If you can, let us know what it’s like.

Guy

Different one , this is HWC , lanshan

It tastes classically blue mountain right away with the sour (?!?) flavour , only complaint was I couldn’t easily tell the beans origin. I don’t expect real blue mountain coffee anyway for 300ntd, and they do say ‘flavour’.
Similar to Alishan tea only about 1% of what is claimed is blue mountain is actually from blue mountain.

2 Likes

In the Taipei area and looking for a range of brews?

If so, the Taipei Coffee Festival is on today, with a plethora of vendors lined up in the NTU campus alone the pedestrian only zone of Zhoushan Road (Gongguan MRT Station Exit 2). If nothing else, it promises to deliver that much-needed shot (or shots!) of caffeine to get through yet another rainy day. : D

Guy

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I only saw this today…
:cry:

1 Like

There must be some announcements or groups or websites or something with Taipei Coffee Festivals. I bump into them unexpectedly.

I see them when I’m walking mall or an MRT station or who knows where so I think they’re like weekly or once or twice a month or something.

And it’s not like one central organization organizing them. I think it’s different coffee companies and organizations and shops that hold em and sponsor them.

Get a good thermos.

1 Like

I think there are also health concerns about drinking coffee and tea out of stainless steel. I believe ceramic is what’s most neutral.

1 Like

Having read this, I went to my neighborhood’s Cama today and asked for a porcelain mug to have my coffee, only to be told that they’ve stopped providing mugs due to Covid. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Yeah. Now imagine what all those biandang boxes are doing.

Mmm I started looking into this because I replaced my ceramic mug with an stainless steel thermos to keep coffee hot longer.

So far, there is the normal nickel or other metals sipping in cooking with acidic ingredients like tomatoes, but BPA is still the worst enemy as the damages to health are substantial, as in both more severe and more prevalent.

Makes you think twice regarding all the soup served here in plastic bags or the acidic drinks in plasty glasses so ubiquitous.

That is one of the most terrible ideas around in Taiwan—perhaps even the champion despite heavy competition all around.

Mommy, please make them stop!

Guy

2 Likes