The Coffee Thread

Hahaha! Refining? Really?

“FamilyMart’s coffee sales have shown steady growth thanks to the company’s membership program and the refining of its brews, and it aims this year to bring in NT$3.5 billion in coffee revenue, fresh foods department head Huang Cheng-tien (黃正田) said.”

"As coffee drinkers are generally loyal to one vendor and have a constant demand for the drink, FamilyMart said it decided last year to launch a line of coffees, each made from a specific farm’s beans to give consumers a taste for where the coffee is grown.

In just six months, it has sold NT$150 million of the “single origin, single bean” brewed coffee at its chain stores across Taiwan, Huang said."

To be honest, I’ve never seen this at FamilyMart.

1 Like

if you have Family Mart App, you can buy coffee servings in bulk at discount. Just save the big cup (maybe bring your own, which I have not tried yet).
Price comes out to like NT$48 for iced coffee 特大杯 (super-big cup).
However, if you want hot coffee, just ask them for 熱咖啡大杯 as an alternate, and they even give you a few cents back in change. They also give you one of those paper holders around the cup if it’s hot coffee.

I buy my coffee in Cama, they sell the coffee just rosted in the same day or day before, and I use a hang grinder

These extreme sports are really getting out of hand.

1 Like

lol I didn’t have my coffee this morning!

1 Like

I tried The Gold Blend once … ughhh. I will stick to my Nescafé original … yum yum :yum:

Family Mart Gold Blend or Cama Gold Blend?

FM normal coffee flavor okay (but I add milk from home)

I am not a coffee connoisseur. It’s just a substitute for water :smirk: I prefer a cup at 7/11 if I’m attempting to be “hip”.:blush:Normal dark brown Nescafé original at Welcome etc , is just fine and dandy .

1 Like

Yeah, same here. Nescafe Gold Blend is just hype. There is one instant from DE that’s not too bad, I think it’s called Kaffa. The rest are pfft.

When I were a wee lad the best coffee you could buy was Folgers pre-ground in steel cans (although restaurants did served better coffee). They came with the lid key pinned to the side of the can. Used the key to peel back the steel top. The can sighed, shrunk, and the smell was heaven.

Nowadays just give me some hot water and some Nescafe and I’m a happy camper.

1 Like

Probably won’t sell well in South Africa :thinking:

Yes, remember the 70s well and Maxwell House good-to-the-last-drop commercial.
In another forum elsewhere, a person in the US mentioning it’s hard to find Maxwell House, and another person answering that it’s a Nestle product [now] and changes occurring to product offerings.

https://g.co/kgs/1Cx453

These guys, Toucan coffee. Best Nicaraguan coffee. Check them out at Food Taipei,TWTC.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjjkgIO3Ck

3 Likes

“well so’s your coffee” lol

coffee with steak? what an abomination

Not sure why Folgers thought that Norwegian Mrs. Olsen was the perfect spokeswoman for their coffee (undeniably caucasian, there is that), but yeah I totally remember those commercials with her.

Hilarious to watch them now. The sexist manipulativeness wasn’t remarkable at the time, it was pretty much how many food and personal health things were marketed back then. It is a little cringeworthy when viewed from 2019, I have to say. :grin:

Edit: get NT$3 back each time, but it might be because I bring back my own paper coffee cup.

BTW, if another person also has Family Mart App, you can “send over” any amount of cups of coffee you’ve already bought, which the missus did for my App. Just need other person’s cell phone # that is linked to the App.

So she can check on you where you stroll about!

1 Like

13 years later, is it still the best coffee, @jdsmith? :wink: Ever find it again?

I think we may have frightened him away after calling him “Jack” , He is a friendly giant though, our JD