The constructive HH smoking thread

JBs sounds like a good compromise venue, and I love the idea of being able to eat in a n/s environment normally, but it does segregate people during HHs.

Most smokers don’t seem to mind popping out for a ciggie, and then come back in to mingle with everyone. This is good. It’s better than having a zone (3/4 of the pub) that is not pleasant to be in but full of people you want to talk to. In the interests of the widest possible social interaction I would still advocate a ‘one-space’ policy with the rules changing at some agreed point in time, rather than having the rules change at some point in space for the whole time.

Or, as Nama suggested, go outdoors and hope the rain holds off.

[quote=“Loretta”]
Most smokers don’t seem to mind popping out for a ciggie, and then come back in to mingle with everyone. This is good[/quote]

I actually prefer to do this…I like smoking outside. :sunglasses:

Loretta is right, we need a single space policy, otherwise we end up with effectively two happy hours going on at the same place and time. However, if we go for a single space establishment then it needs to be one where either the owner already has a non smoking policy, or is prepared to close his doors to any one other than forumosans for the evening. If not then it becomes a somewhat pointless exercise. Having smoking forumosans step outside for a ciggie, but leave the regular smoking customers puffing away inside really resolves nothing.

Outside would resolve the issue, but would leave us totally in the hands of the weather, and given the weather for the last few days probably not a good idea.

Ventilation is really the main problem, most pubs here are not properly ventilated, the air cons are there primarily to cool things down. Find a nice bar with good ventilation and then i think the problem would go for most people, though i accept maybe not everyone.

I certainly do not know every pub and bar in Taipei, but that must be some of a decent size etc that also provide decent ventilation where smokers can non smokers can enjoy each others company.

Hell yes. Wednesday was maybe my favourite HH precisely because it was quite quiet and it was possible to actually sit and enjoy Loretta’s primitive grunts and clicks that for her pass for conversation.

As for future events, the rain won’t go on forever. I think its time we started inundating JBs laoban with complaints about how long its taking him to get his upstairs beer garden up and running. It would be a nearly perfect venue, IMO – outside, with greenery, nice food, good drinks, central, very close to the MRT.

Excellent point, my friend! Which is why I put forward the idea of asking the smoking Forumosans NOT to step outside, but to yield the outside patio at Alleycat’s Neihu, for example, to the non-smokers. Of course there might be one or two non-Forumosans smoking there, but one or two in an outdoor area is negligible. This also avoids the problem of a large group of non-smokers outside disturbing the neighbors.

I continue to feel this was a very logical and simply solution and am utterly perplexed at why it was turned down immediately by Alleycat and ignored by other posters. Feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking, of course.

As for the comment about there being few folks at the Neihu HH, and the conclusion that it was because it was a non-central location, although this sounds reasonable on the surface, I’d point out that:

1. The grand opening there, 2 weeks prior, was packed, including large numbers of Forumosans, so location is probably not such an issue, and
  2. There were other factors involved in the low turnout, including folks boycotting it over the switch from a non-smoking venue, which really had a bunch of long-frustrated non-smokers’ hopes up, to a smoking one inside and out, which was such a major disappointment that we all gave it a miss.

So I’d recommend that in addition to showing up this Monday to thank Alleycat for his wise and wonderful decision to make Mondays smoke-free, we ALSO give this location one more shot, with the above patio=non-smoking as a “suggested self-guideline for Forumosan patrons” (since we can’t decide Alleycat’s own rules; that’s his choice), and see if it works.

On the “central” location issue, everyone’s idea of what’s central will vary. If I put up a map and asked folks who actually plan to attend HH regularly where they live/work, we would have a better idea of what is really central vis-a-vis the HH group.

For those of us living in Neihu, Donghu, Xizhi and Nangang, of course, the Shi-da area pubs are quite distant.

What I’d recommend is that we alternate, so that some are in the Shida area, some are near the WTC, some are in Neihu, etc.

Personally, I think the Tavern is in a great location, but like all small, sealed pubs, it’s a carcinogenic death trap. If our friend, the owner would consider better ventilation and/or a non-smoking period one day a week, I’d be delighted to give him my business!!!

Excellent point, my friend! Which is why I put forward the idea of asking the smoking Forumosans NOT to step outside, but to yield the outside patio at Alleycat’s Neihu, for example, to the non-smokers. Of course there might be one or two non-Forumosans smoking there, but one or two in an outdoor area is negligible. This also avoids the problem of a large group of non-smokers outside disturbing the neighbors.

I continue to feel this was a very logical and simply solution and am utterly perplexed at why it was turned down immediately by Alleycat and ignored by other posters. Feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking, of course. [/quote]

DB, to be honest i do not think it resolves the problem for every happy hour. To my knowledge there are not very many places that have an outside patio or similar area, so whilst on the odd occasion when Alleycats Neihu is used it might work for the others it may not help.

What is really required, as i mentioned earlier, is a list of bars/pubs that either have a patio, separate smoking areas or are large enough with good ventilation that the smoke does not become an issue.

Personally i prefer the latter of those options as any separation will have the effect of creating two happy hours, a smoking one and a non smoking one by the physical devide.

Do such bars exist in Taipei, not sure, someone must know surely.

I know for sure that JB’s are promoting their ventilation system, but as I am a heavy smoker and imune to smoke, I could not tell.

I recommend a few of our non-smokers to check out JB’s 2nd floor, and report back if ventilation/air quality is acceptable for a mixed smoker/non-smoker venue.

The fact is that smokers will insist to smoke, either on location or by leaving the premises - or at least I will.

No point asking me either. I get pissed off when people light up ten feet away if I’m on the patio. No ventilation system is ever going to be ‘good enough’, as even being outdoors with a bunch of smokers can be unpleasant. Fresh air is for enjoying, not polluting. I doubt that the majority of non-smokers are as extreme as me, but I guess that’s part of the problem. You’ll never have a solution that makes everyone happy, because of the range of opinions.

But honestly, I’ve never been anywhere that has really effective ventilation, although it can mitigate things a lot and is better than nothing.

I’m still advocating ONE location without any segregation so that there is just one happy hour where we all mingle. As most people are happy to step outside for a smoke this makes most sense, at least during the earlier part of the evening while people are eating.

As for the question of non-forumosans, I’d like to point out that the establishment in question is free to be a non-smoking venue at its own discretion. (Or is it supposed to be, as Feiren suggested?) The Tavern went entirely non-smoking for the early part of one event a while back, and that wasn’t limited to forumosans.

Can we go somewhere completely different from the usual suspects? How about, for instance, designating a restaurant and encouraging everyone to book tables? (Warn the management, of course, and ask that they implement whatever smoking policy is decided on.)

With extremists for either camp, it will be difficult to meet any consesus on this matter, but I think the the middle way would be a non-smoking inside and a nice outdoor are with tables (to put the beer on) for the smokers. The risk being that the smokers stay out all the time, just going inside for more beer…then some of the non-smokers venture out to chat with the smokers, and almost none is inside.

The solution is to reprogram the matrix so that the smokers don’t notice the smoke!

Or, the smokers could smoke charcoal with bits of sausage meat in. I love the smell of barbecue!!

Oops, I posted this in the Floundered thread before seeing this one:

[quote]My thoughts:

With Happy Hours in bar/restaurants we won’t really have any control over the smoking policy. Most bars are smoking, and we don’t exclusively have the venue for the night.

When choosing a venue we should not say “it must have a non-smoking area” or “it must allow smoking” to cater for specific people, just as we wouldn’t say “zit must have good vegetarian food” just to cater for me and fellow vegetarians. No venue will be perfect for everyone.

I think Happy Hours should continue to be held in bars or bar/restaurants. That’s why they’re called Happy Hours. The fact that there are few if any non-smoking bars in Taipei would mean that we wouldn’t be having non-smoking Happy Hours. To have non-smoking ‘Happy Hours’ would effectively mean no more Happy Hours. But:

As mentioned in another thread, I think it would be good to organise regular (monthly) official Forumosa social events that are not Happy Hours. Picnics, beach days, outings, etc.

I think this solution should please everyone. I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to keep having monthly ‘Happy Hours’ in bars. The reality of this situation means that most (if not all) Happy Hours will have people smoking (even if all Forumosan smokers agreed not to smoke, or to smoke outside other people there would be smoking). So let’s have a monthly social event in a non-smoking venue.

Brian[/quote]

I think we should have the HH’s in a variety of different bars, and it would be difficult top ask the proprietors to declare the premsies smoke-free just for us. It seems very unusual for a private group at a bar to make such a request. Perhaps it oculd happen occassionally but I would hate for our sleection of venues to be restircted by the criteria that they must ban smoking.

Whether or not such an assumption is being made is irrelevant. Most (all that I know of) bars in Taipei allow smoking. This is reality. If Happy Hour means in a pub (and I think it does) that means (due to realistic constraints) smoking.

[quote]
I like getting pissed and behaving badly, that’s what bars are for, [/quote]

Are bars for getting pissed and behaving badly in? Should those of us that don’t wish to get pissed have to put up with drunken idiots as the price for wanting to go to a bar?

[quote]
Why do non-smokers have to get poisoned as the price for that?[/quote]

Because people smoke in bars in Taipei. Happy Hour is a bar event. If you really don’t want to go to Happy Hour you can always go to one of many other regular Forumosa events.

Brian

bump

OK, I’ll bite.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6635117.stm - story about the enforcer in Edinburgh, tasked with patrolling the pubs and making sure nobody smokes.

[quote=“Loretta”]OK, I’ll bite.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6635117.stm - story about the enforcer in Edinburgh, tasked with patrolling the pubs and making sure nobody smokes.[/quote]

Every article I’ve read, including that one says the same thing about enforced smoking bans.
More people go out to the bars/clubs after they are in place.
Surprise, surprise.
Taiwan, your day is coming soon.