The COVID humbug thread (2021 edition)

You mean, like?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Y70vcs3oV14/hqdefault.jpg

I mean making sure that - at minimum - you have some means of obtaining clean water in an absolute worst-case scenario. Portable filters are cheap and readily available right now. You can then add other things like alternative sources of food/income (what would you do if you were barred from the supermarket because you hadn’t had your vaccination this week?), depending on your level of paranoia :slight_smile:

Nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain.

1 Like

IIRC the basic totalitarian thesis of Orwell’s 1984 was that a lack of prosperity was required to maintain the basic inequalities which supported the power structure. This was achieved by war, which soaked up surplus production, keeping the masses down.

I don’t think I buy that (basic inequalities seemed to be maintained just fine pre-COVID) but if you did buy it covoid controls would be a safer way of doing it in a nuclear weapons era.

1 Like

There was a bit more to it than that - he described a multi-pronged approach whereby the majority were content to live in marginal squalor (and largely left alone), while those who wanted to live above a bestial level of existence would find themselves caught up in the workings of the visible State. Orwell described the modern welfare class to a T - content to subsist on mystery meat and chips, and doing nothing with their lives except eating, sleeping, watching TV and breeding; what’s interesting, though, is that the most vocal opposition to COVIBollocks has come from the working class - ordinary people with jobs and brains but with no ambition to own an SUV and take their kids to piano lessons - which didn’t even seem to exist in Orwell’s world.

Inequality is the natural state of humanity; in and of itself, it doesn’t support totalitarian government.

I agree, though, that if you wanted to create a Nineteen Eighty Four scenario, then an endless medical emergency would be inspired genius. Bear in mind that Nineteen Eighty Four’s “war” was pure propaganda; it didn’t exist. Or at least it was implied in the story that there was no evidence of its existence. Therefore “surplus production” - what little of it that there was - ended up in the pockets of the elite.

It’s entirely possible that there is no intent at all behind the COVID lark, not even power for the sake of power. It could be that TPTB understand so little about the nature of pandemics that they’re caught up in their own lies, and that the hysteria goes all the way up to the top. There might be some of that: the “scientists” pushing their zero-COVID agenda have almost certainly lost the plot and belong in a padded cell. The people pulling the levers of power … not so sure. You don’t get to that position by being gullible and fearful.

1 Like

There is a video of professor whitty at 2:45 saying that the vaccines only reduce the chances of catching and spreading the virus by 75%. Gonna be a lot of cases in the Uk I guess. And everywhere else.

Professor Mary-Louise McLaws, an epidemiologist and adviser with the World Health Organisation’s Covid response is one of the main people in Australia pushing the ‘lockdown forever’ mantra. She repeated this again yesterday - saying that you cannot let people out of house arrest until well after the number of new cases that were infectious in the community comes down to zero. Sydney’s lockdown is currently scheduled to end next Friday, July 30.

“We still need another three to four weeks because we need to get that proportion [of cases in people who haven’t been in full lockdown] to zero. Once we’ve got that to zero, then we need that to continue for 14 days to ensure we’ve mitigated everything,” she said.

“Now, you could lift some small restrictions off, but you wouldn’t be able to lift all of them off until 28 days after that first zero of anybody out in the community that hadn’t been in full lockdown.

I guess there’s people like this lady all over the world. Down under she’s one of the main people pushing eternal ‘voluntary’ house arrest. I say ‘eternal’ becuase what she is pushing is unattainable. There’s no such thing as ‘zero Covid,’ not now, and maybe not ever. It’s simply anti-science.

I think it is because these people like to conduct experiments on lab rats and rabbits and so forth, pumping them full of viruses to see the effects. They keep these animals in cages. It makes you cruel and heartless and you lose your humanity, leading you to think of fellow humans as lab specimens. People like this professor of madness think that humans should be similarly caged and experimented on.

At least we appear to have a little more sense in TW.

“When asked whether Taiwan might then face a cycle of outbreaks and lockdowns, Chen responded that it was an exceedingly tough task to achieve a zero-case scenario. Noting that to reach zero cases is not the immediate goal, Chen said…”

2 Likes

When will people get sick of this type of leader? More Australian madness. “Locking down to avoid lockdowns.” It’s all bs, all about control and power and clearly some other agenda. There’s gonna be no ending of cases.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the lockdown will be extended beyond Tuesday at midnight.

“To do so would not be the right thing to do. It would be, perhaps, a few days of sunshine, and then a very high chance we would be back in lockdown again, that is what I’m trying to avoid, we are trying to do this properly and bring the cases to an end,” he said.

1 Like

It was pretty funny how Vallance (quite rightly) corrected Whitty on totally misinterpreting what he’d actually said in his first statement.

What a plonker that guy is. How is he even in charge of anything more complicated than cleaning the Whitehall toilets?

I like John Campbell; I have his “Notes” textbooks on physiology and pathophysiology, which I can thoroughly recommend. He also has a whole series of videos on COVID topics and he’s very fair-minded and focuses on evidence.

1 Like

Never thought of this. You might have a point. Although I suspect that they were cruel and heartless in the first place. I don’t think any normal person would even consider a job in an animal research lab in the first place. They go through dead animals like other people go through cuvettes.

These people really need to be told to STFU by those who (supposedly) have been elected to run the country. Australia is not a theocracy, and it’s not the job of “professors” to announce public policy.

1 Like

Possibly, although they see their jobs as necessary to prolong human life, etc.

True. However some of these professors do run Australia now, via various State of Emergency Declarations. For example,

"A State of Emergency declaration gives the Victorian Chief Health Officer (Professor Brett Sutton) broad powers to act to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health by detaining people, restricting movement, preventing entry to premises or providing any other directions considered reasonable to protect public health, slow the spread of infection, reduce the pressure on the health system and minimise the risks of COVID-19.[4]

The State of Emergency was declared using never-before-used powers under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic) ( the Act ).[5]

The other states and territories in Oz did similar. In effect, they handed control over running the country to these personality types.

Haven’t watched the full presentation:

1 Like

The good wear masks, the bad don’t…

3 Likes

I like that guy. I wonder what the followers of the True Faith would think of him. I’m sure he’s an anti-vaxer, a Covidiot, a denier, a … well, a heretic.

2 Likes

Yes, I have watched a lot of him over the past year. I do think that he comes at it from his own perspective though. I mean he always says things like if we open up, there will be more spread etc. Of course! He is pretty fair if we are just talking about the virus, but seeing as he worked for the NHS, i would have thought he would understand and talk more about how just focusing on covid affects other stuff. He mentions it sometimes. Being a retiree, he also doesn’t talk about how the economy is affected.

Basically…if we were all retired and there were no other health problems, then you couldn’t really argue with anything he has to say. But, he should know that for some people, those problems are much bigger than covid.

This is a funny word…

“But Johnson’s big day was marred by “pingdemic chaos” as a National Health Service app ordered hundreds of thousands of people to self-isolate - prompting warnings supermarket shelves could soon be emptied.”

Pingdemic! :rofl:

Yeah, well. That’s basically what happens when you execute common sense in a ditch by the side of the road and put epidemiologists, technocrats, and computers in charge of running the country.

Hold onto your hats, chaps. It probably gets a bit bumpy from here.

As for Taiwan, I’ll be really surprised if they make anything more than token adjustments to the current restrictions on the 26th. It’s just a carrot being dangled in front of our noses so that we’ll be pathetically grateful when they (temporarily) suspend some of their halfbakery.

2 Likes

Actually, I think if covid19 would kill 10% of the population - that would be the number needed to cause a great reset (cannot be much more as that would cause a huge chaos and destruction). It would be enough to smash house prices (which is really needed) - it could lead to the really needed correction in wealth away from the old generations to currently working younger generation, plus it could make people realise we need to act against climate change now (but yeah both by reducing consumption as well as by geo engineering to get less sun rays hitting the earth).

I do hope those things could happen also without a huge crisis of people dying ( It’s better to decrease population by less births) - but I feel this will never happen without a great great crisis. Usually wars were times of reset - but it’s really stupid to use a war to reset wealth… Anyhow populations growth needs to stop the sooner the better. The problem is usually big crisis led to to more birth and population explosion once the crisis was over…

The bigger the crash caused by Covid19, the longer humanity maybe can survive in decent condition on this planet which is right now destroyed by them at faster and faster speed.

This might give you some hope :wink:

Sorry, I can neither confirm nor deny my whereabouts in this dimension at any given time. :flying_saucer: :zipper_mouth_face:

:+1:

Citing of historical precedents/ scenarios are not uncommon on this forum.

Sometimes after reading various threads you’'d think Covid (or maybe just the Delta variant alone :wink:) was the next Black Plague.