The COVID humbug thread (2021 edition)

Yes, they have. And the reason they fail is that they’re being given stupid advice that can’t possibly work. So, as mentioned, they blame themselves and then settle into a position of apathy, believing that there’s something wrong with them.

Why do you think reversing obesity/diabetes is difficult? Give me some specifics.

1 Like

Have you posted your 5 step guide or whatever it might be on how to stay in shape anywhere? Since you keep saying it is so easy.

2 Likes

Imagine that.
Just as the shysters in government are about to demand a further 6 months of ‘emergency measures’, and their friends across the house vote in favour, they announce this:

Note the clown Fergusson is involved. The man who seems to have got his computer simulations wrong since the foot and mouth animal cull disaster.

Meanwhile in Brazil some protests or a rally.
Waiting for the ‘superspreader’ comments. (Funny how corony steers clear of say BLM, or climate protests).

1 Like

I can do that, but rather than hector people with “this is how you do it”, I’m attempting to drill down into why people think it’s hard in the first place.

It’s just easy to see that people have difficulty reversing it. I would like nothing better than to believe that you have the correct advice that would make it easy.

Certainly. And what is it that they are doing, and why do they think it would work? Why do they keep on thinking it would work even when it’s clear that it doesn’t?

1 Like

Starting to feel like one of these infomercials that keeps running and asking “do you know this one thing that will do x.y.z” and then keeps on going without telling you what that one thing is, after a point, I think most people lose patience waiting to hear the one thing they are being baiting with to keep listening or figure out you will never find out without some signup and fee to some teaching material.

2 Likes

I think the phrase is ‘Socratic dialog’. I’ve got nothing to sell, and I’m genuinely curious to know what people believe about this. If you’d rather wait until the punchline you can do so …

1 Like

I don’t know. Eating too much and not exercising enough, etc? It doesn’t really matter though in as much as the fact is that those people exist and do not seem to find it easy to make a change at present. It’s easy enough to hear people wanting to change it. When people try, it seems difficult. It seems to me that you’re making a prediction here that you could change it in some easier way if you had the opportunity, based on some knowledge you have. I think you might have to make some practical demonstration.

No it wouldn’t and it is quite easy to see. Well, in a perfect world it should be easy, but we don’t live in no perfect world. The current political and economic systems make it really hard to get a large percentage of people live a healthier life. Not sure who is to blame for it. It’s a circle that is hard to break. You have the people, politicians, corporations, and the media. All depend on each other and feed off each other.

Politicians (in democracies at least) worry about elections, so they need donations and support from corporations.

Companies want to (have to) make profits, so they produce stuff that sells (often unneeded and unhealthful). To sell these products, they need to do advertising.

Media needs advertising revenue, so they help the companies (refraining from negative reporting, etc.)

People see the ads, buy the crap, get hooked, want more.

Politicians need the votes, so they give the people the crap they are addicted to.

People’s health declines, in comes the pharma corporations. They want to make a profit too. Who helps them to sell their drugs? The doctors. They get incentives to prescribe drugs, patients get hooked, etc.

Investigative reporting by the media? Well if money from ad clients does not work, in comes the media campaigns by corporations, fake scientific studies (by bribed scholars), etc. Law suits? In come the corporate lawyers.

Just a very simplified way of looking at it. You get the picture.

I don’t think corporations are evil, but the main problem for me is that their main (often only) goal is to make profit. Charity efforts might exist but are often based on the good will of executives or I tied to profit motives.

A company like Coca Cola produces a product that is meant to generate profit, not to help people life a healthier life.

Imagine every company had two mandatory goals, make profit and produce something that is, without doubt beneficial to the consumer’s well-being (good luck defining that). And there lies the main problem as far as I can tell. You can easily calculate profit, but it is not possible to ask corporations to produce something that is unquestionably beneficial to the consumer. Corporation would definitely fight tooth and nail to avoid that.

Governments are not the culprits here, they are just cogs inside the machine. Lockdowns, mass vaccinations are just the logical approaches governments take because other, more idealistic approaches are not an option.

1 Like

OK, that’s what I figured. Because that’s what the newspaper and the TV and the doctors and the nutritionists tell you, right? And it’s wrong.

Ever heard fat people wail “but I hardly eat anything! Why am I so fat?”. Other people assume that they’ve got a stash of twinkies stuffed behind the sofa, but they’re telling the truth. Most fat people are actually eating too little. The tiny rations that they do eat are foods that are guaranteed to push your body towards fat storage or fat conservation.

Exercise has little to do with it. It helps a lot, but it’s not critically important.

It matters greatly. If you’re doing something wrong, you can’t possibly expect to get the right result.

So next question then: if people find it so hard, why don’t they ever think: “This isn’t working, maybe the method is wrong?”. Or if they do think that, why do they not end up at the right solution?

1 Like

I can’t disagree with anything you wrote there. What you basically said, though, is “it’s a conspiracy” :slight_smile:

So, because somebody - lots of people - benefit from fat people staying fat, they will stay fat. Levers will be pulled, subtle nudges will be nudged, to make it so.

In other words, millions of people die every year as a matter of deliberate intent.

And yet here we are, with civilisation crumbling around our ears, while people (including politicians) cry: “but we have to save lives!”.

Do you wonder why I call them hypocrites and liars?

Government isn’t the solution to the obesity crisis. It’s going to have to come from outside, and unfortunately that means a tussle with vested interests who have lawyers, guns and money.

1 Like

Well, uh, it makes sense to me. I don’t know, I’m not a nutritionist or a doctor.

No, I don’t think so.

You left out the rest. It doesn’t matter in as much as those people exist in fact. Surely you agree with that? If you believe you can change it, great, I will be looking forward to some demonstration.

And that’s why it’s not easy. It’s also a long-term problem. Covid is short-term. While technically people could get healthier quickly, the current conditions don’t allow for it. It’s a systemic problem. Changing the system takes time.

1 Like

In other words, governments are stopping it from happening.

They’ve shown that they’re quite willing to take on near-dictatorial power to achieve their aims, and to spend without limit. They could have done it. But they didn’t, because public health is not their goal here.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it does sound superficially plausible. Not unlike “of course lockdowns work! It’s obvious!”.

Nevertheless it’s wrong. If you want to lose weight, you must eat until you are full - avoiding, of course, food and drink that makes you fat.

Fair enough. I have. I talk to a lot of fat people. 80%-90% of them say this at some point.

hamletintaiwan mentioned that he has a lot of fat colleagues. I said I would be happy to talk them through the process, for free. No response. Most people are absolutely and firmly convinced that there’s nothing they can do about it, and the major hurdle I face - when someone does express an interest - is getting their head out of the “dieting” mindset. It can often be the single point that ruins everything and makes treatment impossible.

Anyway, the primary point I was trying to make with this meandering argument is that lack of vaccines isn’t the reason people die or end up in hospital. One huge reason - statistically speaking - is barely mentioned, and completely unaddressed. So even with never-ending lockdowns, masks, vaccine mandates, vaccine passports, and people like me being held down and forcibly jabbed, people will still die of COVID … and a whole bunch of other less interesting things.

4 Likes

Serious question, are you in any way bringing these ideas to fruition? It’s a big industry.

Great post :+1: So many good points.

I believe that at some point, after working in tandem and on behalf of these big corporations for a certain length of time, governments eventually do become culprits, and are culpable. The real world proof of this is governments all around the world currently altering internal policies to serve the interests of these corporations. I recall reading long ago even Minister Chen bemoaning the fact that these Covid vaccine pharmaceutical companies now have too much control over internal government affairs.

In effect, it seems many of these companies now run countries at arm’s length via the ‘Chief Health Officers,’ whom have signed these contracts requiring indefinite vacccination programs.

So, in many countries now, you don’t have elected officials running things any more, but literally health bureacrats working on behalf of Big Pharma, and tying countries into these programs, even if they may protest privately.

In Oz, these CHOs are making all major decisions, instead of the normal political fools, the result being a seriously unbalanced approach to managing populations and their health. And who allowed this to happen, who gave them these powers? The government.

I agree. They don’t even consider anything else an option, as they have different goals in mind. Health and safety isn’t really part of their agenda. If your aim is profit, then I guess that the ‘logic’ is to maximise that over everything else, even if it causes ill health or has other deleterious effects on society. Others, who believe that health should be the goal, would believe it is ‘logical’ to take another tack and maybe promote overall mental and physical health, strengthen population immune systems, and so on.

3 Likes

There is actually something that somewhat facilitates change, one person at a time, and that is social media (specifically Youtube).

If you are are looking for advice about anything life changing, you’ll find it on there somewhere. There might be traps and temptations luring you into wrong corners, but if you look persistently for the solutions you need, you will find them. And once you are in the right corner (well, echo chamber to be honest), listening to the right people, you will find more and deeper information about any subject, including the most desirable way to get and stay in better shape. Well, bad luck if you go to the wrong echo chamber. Intelligence might be of help finding your way through that jungle.

But that’s just my own experience. And it’s on an individual level. I don’t expect much from governments and corporations in terms of improving my own health situation. Need to be smart about it, educate oneself, listen to your body, etc.

I almost stopped watching TV completely. Advertising is the worst, can’t stand it.

3 Likes

I know :slight_smile: I’ve been working in the industry for 20 years … which is why I’m familiar with the layers and layers of BS that it’s built on. But yeah, I’ve been working on a small project to get the message out there (as are many other professionals). As mentioned I do a bit of random consulting, usually for free or some quid-pro-quo because it tends to be for acquaintances and friends-of-friends. I’ve coached people through it online and have about a dozen success stories. I’ve field-tested a “how to” manual (currently on V2.0) and had a very positive response from about 30 testers.

It’s a pitiful drop in the ocean, of course, and I’m still pondering on how to scale up. Now is the ideal opportunity to tear down this horrible edifice of propaganda that keeps people fat and ill. Some people are starting to question everything that governments have been telling us, so there’s an “in”. There are possibilities. It’s not all humbug.

3 Likes