The decline of English language newspapers in Taiwan

Why don’t local English newspapers cover local issues that affect their readers?

publish.gio.gov.tw/FCJ/current/06080441.html

Eric, you may have a very valid point. It’s also true that they don’t really (if at all) cover issues that may affect us expats. On the other hand, the first six months I spent in Taiwan was in a little village out in the mountains of Kaohsuing county. I had no contact with foreigners, everyone spoke Taiwanese and there were no English magazines, books or newspapers anywhere to be seen. I didn’t even know of things like ICRT, that English newspapers were available in Taiwan (I just thought - from what I saw on a daily basis - that being a Chinese country these things were just not available here) or English forums like Forumosa and tealit.

When I moved to Tainan I was so suprised and bought a car loads worth of magazines and newspapers. It was just such a thrill to be able to read things in English again. On a trip to Taipei I was even more awestruck by the amount of English materials available on a daily basis.

Now I don’t really even read the English newspapers anymore. I read my news online and watch the local English news channel on TV.

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]Why don’t local English newspapers cover local issues that affect their readers?

[/quote]

i always figured it was because it is too embarrassing.

[quote]
“The English-language media won’t go away,” he asserted. "Different sections of society need it for different reasons. " [/quote]

for me, sopping up the extra moisture from the slippers on leaving the bathroom.

Yep good news channels like SABCA Mnet & Sky News for Bismark… who needs CNN ?? :smiley: :smiley: