The Documentary Thread

I watched Dancing Outlaw last night, parts I and II. A very interesting story…but damn, DAMN!

Don’t huff lighter fluid and gasoline fumes kids.

The tapping and hillbilly geetar was pretty sweet.

Gunner Palace:[quote]
This diary, compiled by Gunner Palace directors Mike Tucker and Petra Epperlein, consists of notes from the production of the film in 2003-2004 and emails sent from 2/3 FA soldiers during their 410 day deployment to Baghdad and Najaf[/quote]
gunnerpalace.com/content/

Not a politician in the bunch.

A very interesting reallife look at soldiers in Iraq, 2003-4.

The documentary begins late April 2002 in the blooming poppy fields of Badakstan in northern Afghanistan then follows the shipment of the harvest to the hidden heroin laboratories, across the Pianj river, by foot through treacherous mountain passes in Tajikistan and then by road, rail and air through the Silk Road nations of Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan and then its journey to the most profitable market in Europe.

On route we meet the impoverished farmers (Sayed Ahmad), the compromised border guards (Colonel Vladimir Makushin and the Russian border guard), drug agents (General Rustan Nazarov), traffickers (Boris Petrovicjh and Zharina), corrupt customs officers (name withheld), and the regions top UN drug control official (Antonella Deledda). The story also includes comments from Robert Baer, ex-CIA agent from Tajikistan who is critical of US policy in the area.

The documentary returns to Afghanistan to see what can be done about reducing the production of opium and heroin at source. During the Talibans reign, the regime taxed poppy production to fund their activities, later banning it in an attempt to gain good PR points from the West while profiting from the huge stockpiles. But there are no good guys in this story. In those parts of the country controlled by the Northern Alliance, heroin labs continue unhindered and production thrives. They still do. Americas response to this point has been to waive narcotics sanctions against Afghanistan now it has a friendly leader in place in Kabul. But its a thorn in the side of the new Afghan government of Hamid Karzai, enriching the regional warlords and inhibiting the project of rebuilding the nation. Karzais new vice president Abdul Qadir who is interviewed in the film was assassinated in Kabul in broad daylight in July this year. Many suspect his death was drug related.

A classic documentary set in a stunning landscape, Afghanistan: Drugs, Guns and Money is an unblinking look at a story of treachery, corruption and the most unholy of alliancesthe outcome of which may have dire consequences for all of us.
[/quote]
Wow, what a beautiful country!

It should be one of the richest nations on Earth.
enhancetv.com.au/shop/produc … 319&page=1

The Most Hated Family in America.[quote]
If you haven’t heard of the Westborough Baptist Church by now, it’s only a matter of time. This group of religious fanatics, lead by certified asshole Fred Phelps, Sr., are best known for their radical protests and offensive tactics. With such slogans as ‘God Hates America’, ‘Pray for More Dead Soldiers’ and ‘God Killed Your Kids’, it’s no wonder this absurd family have recieved so much negative attention. The BBC’s Louis Theroux gives us an inside look at this fucked up bunch of god fearing folks otherwise known as ‘The Most Hated Family in America’. Check out the video below and watch them live up to that name. For those of you interested in reading more about the Phelps and their ‘church’, you can visit their website at… wait for it…www.godhatesfags.com.[/quote]
thedocumentaryblog.com/index … n-america/
Oh my god. :frowning:

Just saw “War Photographer” which is about James Nachtwey, whom many consider to be the greatest war photographer to ever live. He’s been covering war, famine, poverty etc since the early 1980s, won numerous awards and has been wounded a few times. He comes across as a very softly spoken, almost shy man.

It’s not for the weak of stomach - there are a few icky scenes, plus some great close-up footage of what happens when you get hit by tear gas.

[quote=“cfimages”]Just saw “War Photographer” which is about James Nachtwey, whom many consider to be the greatest war photographer to ever live. He’s been covering war, famine, poverty etc since the early 1980s, won numerous awards and has been wounded a few times. He comes across as a very softly spoken, almost shy man.

It’s not for the weak of stomach - there are a few icky scenes, plus some great close-up footage of what happens when you get hit by tear gas.[/quote]

Looks good cf. I’m getting it now.

btw, here’s a torrent site with thousands of documentaries and bbc specials. I have to say the beeb does GREAT animal documentaries. My son and I just watched Gorillas, about the lowland gorillas in The Congo. Just absolutely fantastic stuff. We have eagles, crocodiles ane wolf in the waiting.

great if you have kids or students interested in nature/science.
meganova.org/subcat/30.html

Thanks for the link, JDS. Some good stuff on there. I’m getting an al-jazeera doco about hippies. That should be interesting.

Bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV04zyfLyN4

Interesting how the Sierra Club and Greenpeace just dismiss this guy. smh