The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Thank you for the reply.
I’ve literally just given them my offer letters for some big companies I’ve worked for, paystub, my w2’s for last 3 yrs. But it sounds like they may need some achievements (which I don’t have)

I just dont want to be in a position 3-4 weeks from now where they ask for more stuff and I dont have it, hence changing the category putting me in the back of the line and waiting again.

For me? I applied on Dec 8th and my passport passed verification on Jan 11th.

under the economic category?

Yep, just salary

would you guys suggest to submit another application under economic or keep it on tech and have the possibility of it getting denied or having Request for materials that i may not have?
Welcome to advice…

I applied under economy/salary, using a K1 tax form, and after about 30 days was requested to provide more evidence of qualifying salary, as they wouldn’t accept the K1. Their response seemed to indicate that an explanation would suffice, so I submitted that. I hired someone in Taiwan to help me with the application and she made some calls and talked to the person who would be reviewing my application, who told her that an explanation wouldn’t suffice, and basically nothing I could provide would suffice other than a tax form specifically showing salary (no letter from an employer, etc).

So, it was determined that I could qualify under economy for 8 years of experience in the IT sector. It’s similar to the Tech qualification but without as strict requirements (patents etc).

She tried and tried to get them to update my application with the new qualification (same category! economy) or reject my application and let me add additional documents, etc, but they wouldn’t do it.

• Reject your application early: NO
  • Review your application early: NO
  • Send it back to you to let you modify your case: NO
  • Provide them supporting document via email: NO

They said lots of people call in thinking that will help move things along or that they can change the process, and that it’s not possible.

I’ve seen cases here where it does happen (and also cases of a K1 being accepted…) so they’re a bit inconsistent, but just a heads-up on what to expect.

(I’m going to have to cancel my application using the dashboard and file a new one, paying the $300 fee again… I could wait til they reject my application, and then modify [I’m told], but the help desk told me the current wait is 50-60 days [not sure if that’s accurate].)

I did just that. Just cancel the old one and pay again for a new one. O would do it if not applied already over 10 days ago

I submitted my additional documents two weeks ago. What’s crazy is I see that they didn’t accept your self-employment income at first, and when you called they said just to write a letter explaining it, and the they approved you 12 days later. This is basically my scenario except when we call and ask they specifically say that an explanation isn’t good enough, only tax forms that specifically say salary.
I could wait and see if I get approved with the explanation I sent but the woman who said that is the one who will be reviewing my application so…

Well, they never had documents from Austria. And self employment income is like salary in Europe. Meaning I paid taxes, social insurances and so on for all.of it. Just like freelancing income that they accept.
They could also see that I paid around 22.000 euros for social insurance (that’s where it’s capped, if your income is 72.000 euros or more) and XX.000 euros on taxes.

Dividend income/profit you take out of your LTD company like you are trying is very different.

I actually also sent them my full profit/loss statement plus other detailed tax sheets.

1 Like

True.

Question for anyone: Does it hurt to submit a new application without canceling an existing one? In case the first one is unexpectedly approved? I need to submit a new app, but do I really need to cancel the first one?

EDIT:
New application in different category is ok, without canceling first. Same category but different qualification, the person I talked to wasn’t sure.

For those that applied in the last few weeks of December, what stage are you currently at? I applied on 12/18 in the Economic category with all the relevant documents etc and am still at the “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency”.

Seems like the previous typical time to next step is ~4 weeks, is this still the case for most folks who applied in December?

My husband who applied on 12/11, and had to fix a passport error on 12/16 just got to the passport submission stage yesterday. Also economic. You’ll probably be coming up soon!

3 Likes

How are you all handling booking a quarantine hotel? Did anyone do the government quarantine facility? Got my card and will need to book hotel shortly but they all appear booked not sure how to figure out where I can quarantine.

I called the hotlines for the city and they found hotel rooms based on certain specs (size, price, window, etc).

Not sure how long extra rooms for the group quarantine centers will last. My understanding was that the increase of group quarantine rooms were limited during Jan.

heres the list:

Does anyone know what qualifies as niche and in demand? I have a masters in applied social and political psychology and am considering trying to set up a consultancy business in ux research or consumer insights with eventually moving into foreign affairs consultancy (applied psychological research on foreign affairs between Taiwan and America/Europe/Australia).

Would this be considered niche enough? How do they determine this? Currently a school teacher (less than 1 year experience) but trying to move into a research career while still moving back to Taiwan. Any ideas?

(Previously I was thinking about just continuing teaching but after starting up at public school in America this semester I realized it might be better to follow what I really love if it’s possible)

1 Like

I am in the US and entering the application process for the gold card visa, and I am having to select now whether I am wanting to collect the gold card in the US or in Taiwan. Will opting to pick it up in Taiwan cause any problems getting a flight there and obtaining it with the current Covid restrictions? I have read that picking it up in Taiwan would save some time but unsure if I should just get the card sent here prior to traveling. Thanks!

You’ll get something to print out that will let you board. Best to pick up in Taiwan.

Thanks, we’ll opt to wait until Taiwan. Another question: for the income requirement, would we run into trouble if we didn’t work the entire year? I was making about $6600 USD per month at my first job from July 2019 until July 2020, when I lost my job due to Covid. If you looked at my two W2s and assumed a full year of income, it would appear that I didn’t make enough per month when in reality I did. Should I include my paystubs or employment contract to help show the start date and the higher monthly income?

1 Like

I was told that for a partial year, you can submit other evidence (eg contract).
For a full year I’m told only tax returns.

It’s a good idea to search this thread for various keywords that might relate to what you want to do and read others’ experience.