The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I’d tend to list the PhD in the education of my CV and teaching or research assistanceship in the work section as a regular job.

1 Like

Yeah, me too. I mostly mean that the people assessing the gold card applications seem quite insistent on documentary evidence, but it seems like she has letters verifying what she’s claiming, so hopefully it’s sufficient - probably more is better though (even though they might not look at everything so thoroughly).

2 Likes

Hello @smoketail

Would you be willing to share the contact info of the person who helped you with the entrepreneur visa/ ARC Gold?

Thank you so much!

Sigh, I hate how I always have to do this.

Long term expats here love tossing around old wives tales for data (ie., no there are not 10,000 people arriving per day), which is frustrating when you can get so much of this from the government itself.

You can actually find the number of emigrants here: https://ws.moi.gov.tw/001/Upload/OldFile/site_stuff/321/1/month/month_en.html

The number is going down, a lot. In 2019 42,364 ROC Residents (note this) left. But there was still a net migration to Taiwan of about 12,000 people.

tl; dr the brain drain already happened in the 90s.

Simply don’t worry… use the pdf form (once its available for you to download from the portal) to take care of travel/entry and then get a replacement card here, for example due to changing address

1 Like

Thanks for replying. Sorry, I should’ve posted an update. About two hours after I posted my message, I got an email from the immigration attaché saying my card is ready to pick up. Lol.

5 Likes

Timeline Update :
Feb 15: submitted and paid online application
Feb 17 (2 business days): status change to “待二審” (pending second review)

Now just awaiting the next phase of “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency”

I’m interested in the gold card just to have another residence option (in particular in case of emergency in my home country); there’s a good chance I wouldn’t go to Taiwan at all during the period of which I have it.

1. Does anyone know if there’s any requirement to come to Taiwan? Would my gold card e.g. become invalid if I didn’t enter for more than a year?
  2. I know the program is relatively new, but any information available on whether or not my ability to get a gold card in the future (after this one expires) would be affected by whether or not I had visited/lived in/worked in Taiwan during my previous gold card’s eligibility?
  3. Is travel to China or the ability to move there in the future at all affected by having obtained a Gold Card?

Thanks!

1. No
  2. Should be no but I can’t say with certainty.
  3. I’m guessing no…other than the increased chance you fall in love with Taiwan and decide you don’t want to live in China.
3 Likes

Anyone in the US who owns a business pays the regular income tax rate (including medicare/etc), no matter the structure of that business. Dividends are a completely different thing (and also taxed fully). I think you’re thinking of the long term capital gains tax rate. Business profits are not capital gains (only if you sell the business)

The thing is though, they may decide if you qualify for this category or that category, but if they decide it’s not the category you selected on your application, they’ll sit on it for 30 days and deny it and force you to submit a new one with the right category

Even same category but different qualification, they’ll deny and make you refile

From what I understand, there’s no final decision made until they review your application. This is slightly misleading because the 30 days is the wait for your application to be reviewed not after your application has been reviewed. You may have called earlier but that doesn’t seem to be the official review.

Just want to make sure this doesn’t mislead someone as to the time frame we’re talking about.

Yeah true. I guess what I mean is it’ll take ~30 days no matter what. I had someone call and talk to the person who was assigned to review my application, they looked and said I wouldn’t be approved, yet wouldn’t reject it early either. But yeah the total time will be about 30 days, so just don’t expect a quicker rejection (or a recategorizarion) by them looking to see what category it fits under.

Yes, I just send you a private message with the contact info of the person who helped me apply for the Entrepreneur Visa and the Gold Card. She’s very knowledgeable and saved me many, many hours of time!

Hi @smoketail, appreciate if you can share the contact person too. thank you!

Timeline Update :
Feb 15: submitted and paid online application
Feb 17 (2 business days): status change to “待二審” (pending second review)
Feb 22 (3 business days): status change to “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency”

Everything is progressing similarly to some timelines I have read in the past prior to the new “Economic” requirements. If all goes well I should be seeing some sort of update or status change around Mar 8-Mar 12.

Fingers crossed and I’ll see y’all in a couple weeks with the next update.

1 Like

Actually Saturday 20th Feb was also a business day with gold card processing as normal. I guess not many applicants overseas where aware of the “make-up day” Taiwan has so hopefully it gave some break from the phone calls for the reviewers to work through the backlog :slight_smile:

That’s very small numbers moving both ways if true. Not much fresh blood or ideas.

Of course it doesn’t capture the 'migrant workers ’ who are deliberately put on temp status even if here for 12 years (I think it’s 12 max now ).

Totally. Those are the bodies coming and going through Taiwan.

If I’m already renting a flat in Taipei and I’m looking to go back, what kind of proof should I provide regarding my place of quarantine?
Thanks.

… arriving travelers shall also provide proof of the place of quarantine where travelers stay to undergo quarantine (in principle, the place shall be a group quarantine facility or quarantine hotel; those who choose to undergo quarantine at home shall make an affidavit to declare they have met the requirement of one person per residence).

Source