The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Thanks, Andrew. If I may ask: What was your “opinion” about?

It was honestly nothing special. This is the version I have saved on my computer that I wanted to write:

As discussed with Mr. Huang at the Ministry of Labor, I would like to apply under the Education category as a person holding a PhD from a top 200 university. I have changed the category on the system accordingly and attempted to upload an additional cover letter explaining this, although the online platform appears to not have updated automatically. If there are any issues, please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can provide the documents I’ve just uploaded.

That wouldn’t fit though, so I apparently changed it to:

As discussed with Mr. Huang at the Ministry of Labor, I would like to apply under the Education category as a person holding a PhD from a top 200 university. If there are any issues, please do not hesitate to contact me.

So I don’t think they’re expecting too much (or at least weren’t at that time).

1 Like

It is easier to read “opinion” as “explanatory comments”.

Did your application portal update already after submitting the passport? I also went to the Houston office and had to do the whole notarize the passport copy thing. The person took 1 look at my passport and then returned it on the spot. They kept the notarized copy and then told me to pick it up later. I was like why do I need the notarize copy back, she couldn’t answer me. So far I haven’t been back cuz parking there is super expensive. It’s been more than a week and my status in the application portal is still “Passport Submission by Bureau of Consular Affairs or Overseas Missions of R.O.C. (Taiwan)”

Hey. My status updated from Passport Submission to Card In Progress (or whatever) about two days after my visit. Got an email notification as well.

Yeah, sounds like the same process as me except they mailed me back the notarized copy and their letter of authenticity. They told me it’s take a week for approval but it only took the two days. Dunno why yours is taking so long.

I’ve been meaning to post an update. I landed in Taipei yesterday. The process at the airport was pretty easy, as there’s plenty of people to guide you. It’s also not tense or serious in any way, as I thought it might be. Just feels normal. The woman in immigration had to ask someone about my entry permit, who then had to ask someone, who asked someone… Weird, I’d think they encounter this every few days at minimum. Flight was about 60% full actually - was expecting less.

Taxi driver spoke perfect English, as everyone at the airport did (they give the driver your hotel address for you, in Chinese) and check-in at hotel was super easy as well. I’m staying at Royal Biz Taipei and would recommend it. Food is decent.

If you want to order food from outside, UberEats delivery is ONE dollar. Also I highly recommend an app called Tap Translate Screen, which can translate anything on screen, including apps. Pleco is useful, as I’ve seen recommended here, but it won’t translate a lot of things. Also, I found deepl.com which does better translation than Google.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update, I’ll give it another week and then go ask the people at TECO Houston. Did they send you the physical card while you were in the US or did you enter Taiwan with printed out permit from the online portal?

What do you mean? Are you talking about the normal Uber Eats delivery fee of NT$25 or whatever it is, or saying that the hotel charges you an extra NT$1 per delivery?

I entered with the printed form. Supposed to pick up my card in Taichung

1 Like

Yeah I just mean the fee that UE charges. Hotel doesn’t charge anything

In the US food delivery often costs as much as the food itself. Very cheap here

If you’re in quarantine for the next couple of weeks and intending to use it a lot, you could also get the Uber Eats Pass for free delivery - I think it’s NT$120 per month, so it pays for itself after 5 deliveries.

welcome… look foward to the next GC meet-up to hear your tales

1 Like

Is there a “GC meet-up” other than the annual or semi-annual photo-shoot opportunities organized by the government?

About every month. Info through member groups on FB and Line

Do you happen to have the link to those groups? Looking to meet other GC’ers once I get back to TW next month

LINE group introduction can be done through:
http://bit.ly/community-goldies

We’re a group of 150+ Gold Card Holders (called ourselves “Goldies”)

I can’t stand the name “goldies” haha - it literally makes me cringe every time I hear it. It might actually be one of the bigger reasons I’ve felt disinclined to attend any of the social events so far. :grin:

I don’t know if anyone else had their application under review for several months and ended up getting approved, but I submitted my application on January 19, so it’s been three months, and the status is still showing “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency.”

I did a Case Status Check, only to get the error “No Data.” So I emailed the Gold Card Office, and they told me it’s still being reviewed by the WDA and unfortunately can’t give me an estimate of how long it might take.

I assume it’s not likely I will get it, but thought I’d share and see if anyone else was in the same boat.