The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Congratulations :tada:

1 Like

Congrats! Yay!

1 Like

When the Gold Card gets approved does it become effective right at that moment of approval or when you enter Taiwan?

Iā€™m planning to go at the end of this year but since applications are taking longer I rather do it ahead of time, nevertheless, I wouldnā€™t want to consume the time Iā€™m given by not being in Taiwan yet.

It becomes effective when the card is issued, so the time between it being issued and you arriving in Taiwan would indeed be ā€œlostā€.

3 Likes

I see, Iā€™d still like to apply ahead of time even if that means losing some months. That said, Iā€™m thinking then of applying for the maximum time even if the fee is higher, which I think is 3 years.

Are they more strict with the application if you choose a longer stay period? Iā€™m just wondering if wanting more time would in fact make things more complicated.

I see, Iā€™d still like to apply ahead of time even if that means losing some months. That said, Iā€™m thinking then of applying for the maximum time even if the fee is higher, which I think is 3 years.

Are they more strict with the application if you choose a longer stay period? Iā€™m just wondering if wanting more time would in fact make things more complicated.

Andrew is right on the mark about it starting as soon as it is issued, so the only control you have in timing the process is after your preliminary approval you have to go and do the passport submission as the final step before issuance. There were guidelines somewhere that indicate you are ā€œrequiredā€ to do this within 30 days of the preliminary approval, yet during the pandemic there were instances where people were forced to wait longer due to various restrictions at the overseas offices, so not sure how ā€œstrictā€ the guideline truly is. I, for one, am in the same position as you are and I will be waiting about 30 days to do my passport submission. I donā€™t want to push it beyond that because I donā€™t think itā€™s worth taking any risk, but Iā€™ll get in touch with my office and feel them out. Thankfully for me the TECO Miami is 15 minutes from my house so itā€™s easy to arrange a last-minute visit.

There havenā€™t been any indications that the acceptance process or rate is any different.

Good for you, thatā€™s awesome.

1 Like

The problem you may have is finding a co-working space that has availability. I looked last fall and couldnā€™t find any. At least not among the ones that were English-friendly

wow thats insane. I spent hours and had other 80 pages worth of documents and got rejected for the artsā€¦

can you provide more info, was there a reason noted for the rejection?

Nothing.

Does anyone here recommend hiring a consultant to navigate the visa process or should I go through this solo using as much information as I can gather from this thread.

Thanks

Well, after three months I finally received an email informing me that I needed to provide ā€œmodified/supplementary documents.ā€ When I go into my case (which has now moved to ā€œApplication Awaiting Supplementary Documentsā€), I get a long message, part of which Iā€™ve copied and pasted below:

Application result: documentation is insufficient. 1. The Ministry of Labor had consulted the Ministry of Economic Affairs on 4 March 2021 regarding this case. According to the Ministryā€™s reply on 17 March 2021, the applicant currently works as a lawyer in [name of my previous employer], which mainly operates legal affairs service. However, it is not within the economy field. Therefore, it is advised that you change to another category or field of which you may meet the criteria. 2. Or please still provide the following documents: (1) The tax statement or salary certificate showing that within other work unit and three years prior to applying you hold a position with monthly salary of at least NT$160,000. (the tax statement or salary certificate refers to either one of the following: 1. Tax withholding statement or official tax certification. (In the case where the official certification is not available according to tax related regulations, the tax certification, after detailing that regulations, may be replaced by the employerā€™s statement.) 2. Employment contract with potential future employer in Taiwan. (2) The personal CV (including education experience, name of current employer, job title and role, address, official website URL, web pages, and primary areas of operation) with proof of service (signed and stamped by the issuing agency) that the applicant has worked domestically or abroad in economy-related industries or fields within 3 years of this application submission. Documents should include the stamp, seal or signature of (the representative of) the entity by which the paper was issued. If you have any further questions regarding the documents required, please contact the officers for more information: Ministry of Economic Affairs ā€“ Ms. Fang 02-33435726; Ministry of Labor - Mrs. Chien 02-23801724.

I currently work as an attorney at a financial technology-related company. I donā€™t suppose that counts as ā€œeconomy-relatedā€ industry work? Otherwise, I may be out of moves. The legal category, as discussed above, is next to impossible to be approved for.

How about technology or finance fields, depending on what exactly your company does?

1 Like

My last job before moving back to Taiwan was also in Fintech, if it can help. I had put together plenty of materials about my former companyā€™s technology (at least those that I was allowed to disclose) and my role in it, as my original plan was to apply under Science/Tech. You may want to try that route since Economy seems to have become much harder than it used to be last year. Knowing the sector and its challenges, I am pretty sure that you have a lot on your plate on the legal side :muscle:

1 Like

Yeah I might have to look into the requirements and see if I can try one of thoseā€¦ thanks.

Thanks, thatā€™s interesting. Did you get approved under Science/Tech? I can probably disclose enough to show that itā€™s a FinTech company. And if I get in trouble, itā€™ll be with myself. Jk. :grimacing:

I had all materials ready, but eventually decided to just go for Economy, which last year pretty much only required a salary slip.

Ah I see. Well maybe Iā€™ll try to call them and explain my situation to see what they recommend. Hopefully they will be able to understand my Chinglish. Thanks.