The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I think, for salary proof, either one of the following is okay according to Field of Economy | Taiwan Gold Card

• A tax statement and/or salary statements from your employer to prove your salary was above 160,000NT (eg Australia PAYG payment summary, Canada T4, Israel 106 form, Russia 2-NDFL, Poland PIT-11, UK P60, US W-2)
  • The employment contract of intended future employment in the ROC

I submitted the later one.

2 Likes

Then yeah you should be fine. I haven’t seen many apply under the 2nd bullet point, so best of luck!

1 Like

I did. It’s the only way that people from non-western countries can obtain the gold card under this category. (Unless you’re massively overpaid in your country)

Okay, today I got an appointment for an interview at TECO Toronto for May 21. They asked me to carry my passport, letter of passport submission and my work permit (Canada), and a prepaid envelope with my address. Any suggestion on what sort of questions can they ask?

Did you apply for economy field? How much time did it take after “Professional review by workforce development agency” to approve? Did you apply recently?

can anyone remind me what currently is the best email address for contacting the gold card office with questions?

2 years ago. Took 20 days start to finish.

2 Likes

Most people here didn’t get asked a lot of questions. But I was asked, like:

• Why do you want to go to Taiwan?
  • What’s your plan for when you get there?
  • What do you currently teach and research on? Is that what you’ll teach / research in Taiwan? My answer was: Nope, Imma be just another English teacher in a cram school
  • What visa are you currently on (in this third country)? Why are you here? How long have you been here for?
  • Was the professional review done by the ministry of education?

And so on 

1 Like

There were a few other people in my shoes, wondering how we can delay the start of our 3-year clock with the Gold Card. I am currently 3 weeks into the passport submission phase, and I wrote to the Gold Card office asking how long I can wait to complete this step since I won’t be coming to Taiwan any time soon and I am trying to limit external interactions due to the pandemic. This was their reply:

Hi Maxwell,

There is no time limit for passport inspection.
Shall you have any questions about submitting your passport, please contact the Miami TECO. https://www.roc-taiwan.org/usmia_en/index.html

Thank you!

Taiwan Employment Gold Card Office
ć°çŁć°±æ„­é‡‘ćĄèŸŠć…Źćź€

Hi folks! I’m working on my application via the Science & Technology salary requirement, and in the application it asks for two things which seem the same to me:

Document verifying domestic or foreign service relating to employment at a technology company or in a technological field

Personal curriculum vitae at a technology company or in a technological field

Does anyone know what the difference between these two is? I tried searching it, but couldn’t find anything specifically related.

Document verifying domestic or foreign service relating to employment at a technology company or in a technological field

Verification of Employment letter from your technology company or company in a technological field.

Personal curriculum vitae at a technology company or in a technological field

Your CV

1 Like

Hi, would really like to receive the contact information of the person you recommend to assist with the Gold Card Application. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification! That makes total sense.

For confirmation, I asked again if I could wait, for example, 3 months, and the reply was “Yes, no worries.”

unless the policy changes in the meantime.

2 Likes

Hi all, please find below my timeline for my application which unfortunately has not yet been approved. I submitted my case 4,5 months ago and my case is now considered a “cross-industry case” which got a bit stuck.

I work at a big4 company with >8 years experience in consultancy and I meet the salary requirement.

Timeline:
29 December 2020: application submitted under ‘Economy’ (salary criteria). Payslips and tax assessments submitted (back then no additional proof for industry required).
8 January 2021: Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency
21 February 2021: Request for additional documents to proof industry and received advice from Workforce Development agency to change to ‘Finance’ because I work for a big four company.
22 February 2021: Changed industry to ‘Finance’ and submitted additional documents such as employment certificates, additional explanations about industry etc.
7 April 2021: Contacted by Finance department explaining that ‘Finance’ is only for financial institutes, not for accounting firms and definitely not for consulting roles.
22 April 2021: System (finally) opened and I changed category to ‘Economy’ (Salary) and submitted additional documents to support economy industry.
11 May 2021: Called the workforce development agency to check status and was informed that Economy department suggested to change to Finance. The Workforce Development Agency (and the Helpdesk) suggested to try again via e.g. experience subcategory within ‘Economy’.

Next steps and request for help:
At this moment I’m waiting for the system to open again. Do you think it would make sense to apply under a different subcategory (Experience instead of Salary)? Would the result really be different if the issue is not related to my salary?

Maybe to avoid the “big crowd” applying under the salary category of Economy at least the turnaround time may be quicker?

Do you have any suggestions on how to make case for Economy industry (Consulting) stronger with specific documents/explanations? I’m planning to add the earlier shared list of sectors for Economy, which also shows that Management Consulting falls under Economy.

Anything else that could help?

I have already submitted all the documents that are listed, even if they were optional (payslips, tax documents, employment contract, employment certificate, explanations including a translation in Chinese etc.).

I have to say that the contact person of the Workforce Development Agency and the Helpdesk have been very friendly. They can only give some advice, but they cannot challenge any results from the Economy or Finance departments or provide more details regarding their decisions. Without contact details of the Economy department I find it difficult to receive more clarity on what their exact reasoning is to not approve my case or what kind of supporting information is lacking.

Does anyone maybe have a suggestion for a third party to assist with my case?

New Policy developments for “cross-industry” cases
Perhaps relevant for others here too: the workforce development agency and the gold card helpdesk informed me that they are still working on changing the policy to have less “cross-industry” cases like mine that may not fit into the existing criteria, . However, they can’t provide any estimates on timelines for this policy change other than that it may take a while.

Sounds like Ministry of Economic Affairs (‘Economy’) is utterly slammed. This is the response I finally received from Mr. Wang less than an hour ago from my email to him dated 04/15/2021:

Sorry for my late reply, because the reply from the Ministry of Economic Affairs last time is not clear, so we had to forward the application to it again on April 23.

For now we have not received its reply yet.

Thank you.

My initial application was with ‘Technology’ on 12/08/2020 and moved to ‘Economic’ on 01/13/2021 under salary requirements with W-2s, 1099s and CV as proof. So as of 04/23/2021, the Ministry of Economic Affairs has my application
 again.

1 Like

Currently in Day 6 of quarantine.

Thinking ahead of time, is there anything I need to do anything prior to stopping by the NIA office to pick up my Gold Card?

Or do I just show up with my Resident Authorization form and application receipt.

ehhh
 passport maybe ?
plus whatever originals of documents you had previously had notarized, legalized, and so on

just make sure you have all stuff ready in your bag so you can pull one more rabbit out of the hat and cause immense disappointment to the clerk who might be trying to put one more hurdle in your way

I have skimmed through this lengthy thread
 if my question has already been answered, please point it out and I’ll appologize.

My three year “gold” ARC (actually blue, since it’s an early one) will expire in a little over 4 months. My current card was approved as a financial professional supported by salary/tax documents. As I am not working, so salary won’t cut it this time, I’d like to renew or reapply under “PhD from top 200 university”.

Can anyone confirm, 1) that I need to wait 3 months before expiry to start the new application (I read that somewhere in this thread)? All that is needed is a scan of my PhD diploma? It doesn’t need to be TECO certified in the country of origin (US), and they have no need of a certified transcript? If I apply early, does it extend the current expiry by 3 years, or do I lose a couple of months duration due to approval overlap.

I’m thinking about this early because I know the process can take tine, especially if I have to round up TECO certified diplomas and transcripts from the US, while I’m in Taiwan.

Thanks