The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Just a note to add my own timeline here. I submitted mine on 06/14 and it is already at this step “Review by the Workforce Development Agency”, (following the info on this page).

However, it is possible it will have an initial rejection as I did not realize that the steps on the Gold Card site continue with detailed info about the application even after you’ve clicked the application link that launches a new window and I did not interpret the form 100% correctly. (But this is apparently common and they accept corrections after the initial review.)

Yesterday I waited for gold card approval email but when i didn’t get any email, I called the officer and came to know officer was on leave. Today I got approval. When will my card be ready for pick up? I plan to arrive on 30 or 31/8 to pick my card and leave on 3/9. Essentially i will have just one working day in TW. Will my card be ready by that time and is one working day enough to pick it? Expecting i will not have to get an appointment.

Usually ready within a few days of getting the approval email. It only takes a few minutes to pick up the card, no appointment needed. Download and use the Resident Authorization Certificate to enter Taiwan.

1 Like

Changes coming to the Gold Card program? 鼓勵外國學生來台唸書就業 總統:4年提供萬名獎學金 - 自由財經

1 Like

Program, nothing more than normal. Office, yes. Basically since the Gold Card has been (by TW gov standards) successful, the Office behind it since 2021 has been promoted and will expand and cover more things. So, hopefully a variety of new things will start running with that level of service you know and love. Expect more substantial news in October. There’s … quite a bit to do.

8 Likes

If Gold card holders could qualify for dual citizenship I’d be satisfied.

2 Likes

Perhaps some might but the majority will not. Just having a gold card does not mean you have contributed anything to Taiwan.

1 Like

What will the age limit for these scholarship?

Unfortunately, I have no idea on that at the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are a couple English articles. No new information though :slight_smile:

1 Like

15-May — Initial application under “Economic criteria”
26-May — I was asked to submit current employment certificate. I submitted “Employment certificate”
31-May — Changed to “Consulting Ministry of National Science and Tech affairs"
07-Jun — Changed to “Review by WDA”
08-Jun — I was asked to re-apply under “Digital affairs”. So applied under “Digital Affairs”
14-Jun — Changed to “Consulting ministry of Digital affairs”
28-Jun — Changed to “Review by WDA”
05-July — Changed to “Review by NIA”
06-July — Got a message asking me to accept to cancel my current ARC in-order to get my gold card. I agreed
06-July — Changed to “IC Card in Process” and got an email saying gold card is approved

5 Likes

A few questions for the group, which I hope might be useful to other people too:

1. For people in software or software adjacent fields like data science, would it be better to apply under the new digital category or the science and technology category ? My assumption is that the digital category is going to be way friendlier because moda is a way friendlier agency than MOST and will therefore ask for less documents and nobel prizes and stuff. Additionally, after reading through other people’s responses, it seems like despite the word “technology” in the category’s name, the science and technology category is much more focused on getting people in the hard sciences and engineering than people in the software part of the “tech” industry.

That’s just the spidey sense I got from reading news articles and this forum though, I’d love to hear the perspective of anyone who has more direct experience with these two categories.

1. I know this has been asked before, but what’s the best way to explain to the reviewers that even though your employer isn’t in X field, the work you do for them is still very much in X field?

I work in a data engineering/ software job for state government in the US, so I’m pretty sure I can make a strong case that my actual job is in the digital field, but I don’t want them getting hung up on the fact that government is typically not considered part of the tech industry. :sweat_smile:

1. Is there any advantage to translating the cover letter and my explanation of the documents I attached to Chinese? I started doing it, but I find translating my own writing slow, tedious and boooorrring, :smiley: so I’m thinking about giving up and just sending everything in English unless it will substantially help my application.

2. Sort of on a similar vain as question 3, are there any unpublished things that people suspect are part of the criteria? Chinese language test scores, degrees from Taiwanese universities and other things that demonstrate familiarity with Taiwan seem to help applications for other government programs such as scholarships: https://taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw/web/images/pages/95dc55a9-9390-4565-8e5f-33ca872294c4.pdf and some categories of work permits: EZ Work Taiwan-Apply by New Scoring Criteria for Foreign and Overseas Chinese Students to Work in Taiwan.

So this question is about me specifically, should I add sections describing my previous experience in Taiwan and language scores, because it might push a borderline application into the approved category, or is it just going to get ignored because they only look at salary and experience in a digital field?

And then more generally, for everyone who’s considering submitting an application, does anyone have any insight into any things that the reviewers seem to view positively, (or negatively!?), even if it’s not officially published criteria?

2 Likes

I can’t answer specifics about what materials to submit, but for this one:

Yes, absolutely, 100% go digital. In my experience MOST has no idea how to evaluate industry work, and I would only recommend that route if your background is more academic.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’ve found myself in a very difficult situation, and any advice would be welcome.

I overstayed in Taiwan after I was divorced and my spouse visa cancelled (explanation of circumstances below). I am citizen of a Western country. Other than the overstay I don’t have any criminal record or other issues in or outside of Taiwan. I recently left Taiwan voluntarily during the Department of Immigration’s amnesty period: a publicly stated condition of this amnesty, confirmed many times with Immigration Department officials, was that there would be no ban on overstayers returning to Taiwan on valid visas. I am however banned on entering Taiwan visa-free for one year, and there’s a stamp in my passport saying: “Visa required: bearer is not eligible for visa-free before X date.”

I left Taiwan for a nearby country where I applied for the Gold Card. I was required to tick “yes” to a question about overstay history, I passed through the initial immigration department verification stage and the qualifications verification stage, and received an email telling me to print out the passport submission notice and take it to the local Taiwan Office for verification. Within hours, however, before I could submit the passport, I received an email stating that my Gold Card application had been rejected.

In spite of multiple emails and phone calls to the Immigration Department and the local Taiwan office, the only advice I have received is general advice to make sure all my documents are complete and then apply again. All the documents were complete the first time, however (I’m applying on the basis of a top 50 PhD, and this was already signed off on by the Labor Department). It is clear that the problem with application is not a lack of documents, but the overstay record. I repeatedly hit a wall where I’m fobbed off with general advice that is clearly not applicable to my situation.

All the immigration officials I have spoken to have confirmed that overstay records would not count against applicants for visas who turned themselves in during the amnesty period. I do not believe the immigration department’s amnesty was in bad faith with no intention to honor the promise of no re-entry bans; I suspect, however, that the amnesty policy has not been communicated to staff processing gold card and other visa applications and that someone at the immigration “automatically” rejected my gold card application without checking my records and without being aware of the amnesty policy.

Any help or advice in this difficult and stressful situation would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Oh yes, and although it’s probably no longer relevant, these were the circumstances of me becoming an overstayer. I came to Taiwan on a spouse visa, and my partner later left me. We lived apart for a year and a half but I had not signed the divorce papers. My partner was in contact with me from time to time during this period. When I was ready to sign the divorce papers and apply for the Gold Card or another visa (months before my spouse visa was set to expire), I was shocked to discover that almost a year before a divorce had been granted without my knowledge and my spouse visa had been cancelled. No steps were taken to attempt to inform me that there was a divorce case and giving me a chance to appear in court (because of this, I believe the Taiwanese divorce could be contested in my home country, where we were married). A post factum notification of the divorce was sent out, but my official address was still my partner’s address and I never received it. I had therefore unwittingly become an overstayer in Taiwan for almost a year, and was told I would face a three year ban on re-entry. This was at the height of Covid, when returning to my home country was difficult. Also, I had by this time met my current partner, who has an elderly parent to care for and cannot easily immigrate outside of the Taiwan with me. In these circumstances I stayed on in Taiwan illegally, resigning my job immediately so as not to work illegally and living off my savings. When the amnesty was announced this year, I wanted to seize this chance to come back to Taiwan and stay and work legally.

Maybe at @fifieldt can help resolve this

2 Likes

Well there you go. You were contacted at your primary residence address but you didn’t change it.

Yes, this must be done within 15 days.

2 Likes

You could submit a petition on the rejection to MOI.
If they reject it, you could submit a petition to Exective Yuan.

https://aarc.moi.gov.tw/QA

3 Likes

Looking at the amnesty program it seams the information given is will just have to pay the minimum fine, no entry ban and no detention. It doesn’t seam to mention an exception to the Immigration Act article 24:

National Immigration Agency shall not permit an alien’s application for residence or the alien’s application for modification of reasons for residence which was submitted pursuant to the preceding Paragraph if the alien meets one of the following circumstances:

10. Has overstayed a visit or the period of residence.
Immigration Act - Article Search/Content Search Result - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

Though as mention it does give an exception to article 18:

National Immigration Agency shall prohibit an alien from entering the State if he/she meets one of the following circumstances:

12. Has overstayed his/her visit or the period of his/her residence or has worked illegally.
Immigration Act - Article Search/Content Search Result - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

3 Likes

This probably means your application was rejected by the local embassy in the country you applied. Knowing how gov works, it’s possible that the NIA didn’t communicate the amnesty well to the far-flung embassies.

From what I can see here it looks like your case is not dead :slight_smile: Keep in contact with whoever you are in contact with. Having said that, it’s reasonably likely you’ll need to apply again even if it is resolved, simply because the application portal sucks and can’t deal with an application being resurrected.

9 Likes