The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Relaxing the law to providefor foreign special professionals and foreign senior professionals who meet the criteria for being insured as employers or self-employed business owners under Article 10 Paragraph 1 Subparagraph 1 Item 4 of the National Health Insurance Act, together with their dependent relatives, to join the NHI system without having to wait for six months. (Article 18 of the amended draft)

For the content of the draft amendments, please refer to the General Explanation and the Terms of the Act as appended below. We welcome you to submit your comments and suggestions in the discussion area at the bottom of the page. We will continue to collect issues of concern submitted from all quarters during the notice period, for subsequent consideration in revising the draft amendments.

1 Like

Yes and no. Being covered by a private insurance for the whole duration of the DNV in Estonia is mandatory, while in Taiwan it is up to the Gold Card holder to purchase one or not and. I mean, I will do it, but maybe others won’t. Also, the six months are part of a legislation that applies to most ARC categories, not only to the Gold Card. There are ongoing discussions (seasoned Forumosans correct me if I’m wrong) to waive it in the future and let Gold Card holders access to NHI straight away.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: You read my mind man.

1 Like

employed ARC/gold-card holders and their dependents are already exempted from the 6 months.

1 Like

Dafuq, when did they change that? I just got my new gold card after updating the address, and suddenly it is not blue any more - it’s gold. Ish. Fugly as hell :rofl:

Seems somehow during the last year they changed it, and despite following this thread I missed it.

Yeah, Google says they changed in February: https://www.ndc.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=0E2DCBAA6CB72F12&sms=B079565EECDD8520&s=9354B7BF7F83AF06

1 Like

wow, May Lin born on 8/8/88 (or 88/8/8), how auspicious! (I’m assuming it is a fake example)

1 Like

I collected mine just now. Looking forward to trying to explain to people that yes it’s a legit ARC :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry @tando I tagged the wrong person.

2 Likes

Yeah, I admit it’s not mine. Even though the passport number seems almost identical :ponder:

1 Like

How did you manage to get your appointment? I’ve emailed them and they gave me a number to call with an extension. I’ve literally called dozens of times, emailed back, and left a voicemail with no answer. Is there a specific day/time I should be calling? Do they take like a week to get back to you? Any help would be great as I can’t get my passport verified since I can’t reach anyone! Thanks. :slight_smile:

I’m referring to the LA TECO here.

Persistence. I called a lot…

Thanks. Glad to hear I’m on the right track. Do you remember what you pressed after dialing the main number to get to someone? No joke I must’ve called 50+ times at all hours of the day so far…

I think I tried all the combinations. I eventually got an extension but can’t track it down. Will PM you if I find it.

1 Like

This stage took me weeks in Atlanta too. Just keep trying. My Mandarin teacher (who lives abroad) told me anecdotally that a lot of Taiwanese are going back home right now and in doing so are getting visas for their foreign spouses, so TECOs are overwhelmed.

1 Like

Does anyone here have experience “working” the salary requirement?

Judging by the official requirement

1. Previously or currently holding a position in a foreign state or in the ROC with a most recent monthly salary of at least NT$160,000.

I “technically” pass the requirement. This is my situation:

I have been working as a Software Developer from 2014-2019 in Germany with a monthly salary under the 160k requirement. I quit my Job and worked freelance in 2019 earning more than 160k in July of 2019. This was my “most recent monthly salary” as I have been travelling since, ending up in Taiwan on a working holiday visa which will be running out soon.

Judging by feeling I don’t really qualify (I also read in this thread that freelance income might not be counted).

Does anyone have experience with a similar case or advice for me wether to try or not to?

Thanks a lot!

From my experience they only accept tax documentation. I was able to get 1099 misc (self employment income) from the US accepted for gold card purposes. If you just have a bank statement showing income, it’s not accepted.

1 Like

I wrote to them about freelance, they said self employment doesnt count.

Clearly we have a discrepancy here. I too have been under this exact impression…that officially self-employment doesn’t count yet there was at least one person who was able to make it work.

Yes, very strange with two possibilities. 1 self employed is ok or 2 that person got lucky. I asked twice and their response was extremely detailed saying that self employment definitely doesnt count.

If you have tax forms proving the self-employment and it’s from a legit company it should be fine. If it’s half a dozen 1099 misc forms from unknown companies, or you’re not able to prove that you’re paying any taxes on the self employment income then I’d understand why they might not accept it. I called about my 1099 misc tax form after I submitted my application and they said it’s acceptable, it was a single form for 100k+ USD for the year from a tech company. I also have to pay Taiwan taxes on it going forward according to my Taiwan CPA.