The end of China as we know it?

maybe, just maybe… The end of China as we know it?

this could spell the beginning of the end of the Chinese Communists dictatorship. Really. By putting a US-based CNN type of Chinese broadcast on a satellite feed worldwide to Chinese and Taiwanese everywhere, wow, this could undo all the mindcontrol propaganda that CCTV tries to put out. Watch this nail in the coffin of the Chicoms grow and grow. What do you think, Juba, and other old China hands here. Does this mean the end of China as we know it?

Chinese language news network in US finds perils of facing Beijing

By Szabolcs Toth, Boston Globe Correspondent,

8/24/2003

NEW YORK – Zhong Lee, president of New Tang Dynasty Television, is dreaming about building up the ‘‘Chinese CNN.’’ But the Chinese government may not be happy about the idea.

‘‘We want to be number one’’ for the Chinese viewer, Lee said recently in the company’s cramped Manhattan headquarters.

boston.com/dailyglobe2/236/n … ing-.shtml

I am not sure. Information in China has been available for some years to those the CCP believes can be trusted with it. Foreign newspapers and broadcasts have been available in hotels and luxury apartments to anyone who can get into them. A mate of mine had BBC World in his flat in Shanghai, and there were Chinese living there. What I believe the CCP would be worried about is media available to the masses. The masses do not get satellite TV, waltz about in 5-star hotels, or rent luxury apartments. Don’t forget the government owns the analogue TV broadcast masts in China, as well as the internet gateway, and mobile phone network. There is a long way to go, but the CCP may eventually run out of fingers with which to plug the dam. Don’t hold your breath.

news.com.com/2100-1028-997101.html?tag=fd_top

It won’t matter.

I met plenty of Mainlanders in the States who, despite having total unrestricted access to news and info from around the world, relied on media sources that gave them what they wanted to read/hear/see… an uncritical and one-sided interpretation of world events that flattered China, Chinese people, and Chinese leadership (although not necessarily the CCP’s policies).

China.com and sohu.com are perfect examples. They are crap.

The inevitable ‘CNN of China’ will be nothing more than toned-down propoganda that the masses will gladly suck in. The idea that 1.3 billion will see a report on what really happened at Tiananmen in '89 and suddenly overthrough the CCP is too… optimistic.

[quote=“WarMonkey”]It won’t matter.

I met plenty of Mainlanders in the States who, despite having total unrestricted access to news and info from around the world, relied on media sources that gave them what they wanted to read/hear/see… an uncritical and one-sided interpretation of world events that flattered China, Chinese people, and Chinese leadership (although not necessarily the CCP’s policies).

China.com and sohu.com are perfect examples. They are crap.

The inevitable ‘CNN of China’ will be nothing more than toned-down propoganda that the masses will gladly suck in. The idea that 1.3 billion will see a report on what really happened at Tiananmen in '89 and suddenly overthrough the CCP is too… optimistic.[/quote]

That even applies to non-Mainland Chinese if in a slightly different way. E.g. ppl from HK who immigrate to the US will still buy the HK papers which will be biased towards China (not the PRC necessarily), Chinese culture/people ascendency, etc…

[quote=“blueface666”]
news.com.com/2100-1028-997101.html?tag=fd_top[/quote]

Seems like people would have figured out how to do this a long time ago. Sounds something like a proxy server-type method. Don’t they have pay websites out there that allow you to access the internet through them so everything you view is “untraceable?” Isn’t this software doing a similar free thing?

Anyhow, I imagine Beijing would be pretty ticked about this. Intentionally developing software to undermine their censoring? In the end I’m sure they’ll either find some way to censor this too, or just let it go b/c it’ll never catch on widely enough. As Warmonkey eluded to, do they really want to hear, or are ready to hear, the truth? At any rate, I’d like to hear Beijings response on this.

oZzo

'‘The inevitable ‘CNN of China’ will be nothing more than toned-down propoganda that the masses will gladly suck in. The idea that 1.3 billion will see a report on what really happened at Tiananmen in ‘89 and suddenly overthrough the CCP is too… optimistic.’’ - wrote a poster above.

Yes, i am optimistic, in the same way that MEDIA played a big role in the downfall of the USSR and other world events, this CNN for CHINA thing, and note it is NOT controlled or owned by China but by an AMerican living in NYC, just might be the Trojan Horse that overthrows the CCP. I am optimistic. Why not be?

This new development gives me hope that the end is near. Let’s watch and see how it develops. IS anyone a pessimist on this?

[quote=“ozzo”][quote=“blueface666”]
news.com.com/2100-1028-997101.html?tag=fd_top[/quote]

Seems like people would have figured out how to do this a long time ago. Sounds something like a proxy server-type method. Don’t they have pay websites out there that allow you to access the internet through them so everything you view is “untraceable?” Isn’t this software doing a similar free thing?

oZzo[/quote]

Oh, you mean software like Triangle Boy … a free, open source, peer-to-peer application that will bypass firewalls and other mechanisms that attempt to block access? I heard it’s available from here:

www.triangleboy.com

Can anybody else access that website? I don’t seem to be able to.

I feel like an optimist, but nobody else believes me.

This weeks Time magazine Asia had some b.s. article comparing life in China a hundred years ago, with life as it will be in the future. There were illustrations of Chinese yuppies living in their spacious apartment, full of modern appliances. What somebody forgot to consider was that in order to sustain an extra billion people living at first-world standards of consumption, we would need to add the equivalent of another earth.

Something has to give. Plague? Famine? War? Anyway, something. Whether the CCP is still in charge when this happens, really isn’t so important in the grand scheme of things. Democracy and human rights standards can’t possibly work in such an environment. (Hell, they barely work in places like the U.S…)

Did I mention that I’m an optimist? But then, I sympathize with the Blue Team.

China is already in trouble as a result of its “one child policy”. Give it a few more years to foment and I’ll bet the desperate young bachelors will tear the heads off the members of the CCP.