The Forumosan Recipe Thread

Pork can be served a little under now. Getting a thermometer is the best way so you know right when it’s done. How long are you cooking them for?

I usually do 1.5 min each side.

When searing your pan should be just at the smoking point, as hot as you can get it. Maybe you need a hotter pan and let cooking time. Remember it keeps cooking when you take it off

Today I bake 2 together, cheese scones and mystyle flapjacks.

I make flapjacks once a week to use as cycling energy bars my Recipe.

200g of wholemeal flour
200g of whole rolled oats
50g of dark brown sugar
Hand full Dried fruit any type in small pieces & nuts if you want
200g of good butter (french not US)
50g of honey

Using a metal or glass baking raised tray coat inside with butter using a little butter and wrapping that butter comes in.

Stir all oats, sugar, flour, fruit together.
Melt 200g of butter & honey in microwace in glass jug for like 30sec then another 20sec stir together so nicely mixed. Pour into flour oat mixture stir well until absorbed.
Tip into baking dish spread evenly pushing down firmly with a spatula.
Can sprinkle some fine sugar over the top before baking for crispy top.

Place i prehated oven 180 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
Important: after baking cut shapes rectangle or whatever you want whilst still hot almost impossible when cooled. Cool for a bit bfore placing in fridge.

I buy all ingrediants from Welcome, though not cheap to make: butter and whole oats!!
Very tasty.

3 Likes

Cheese scones.

250g of all purpose flour
1 tsp of baking powder
60g of good quality butter.
1 egg
80ml of milk
cheese I don’t measure.
Some grated Parmesan
Small cubes of cheddar (not grated very important)
Half tsp English mustard powder (not essential but does enhance cheese flavour)

Mix flour, baking soda together, add cubed butter and grated parmesan.
Mix with your fingers until butter has got into flour and you have a grainy type texture can take about 10 minutes, add cubed cheddar stir.
Whisk egg and milk together in a jug, pour into flour butter mixture, stir well in using large flatish spoon.
When becomes no sticky get your hands in and mix with them.
remove from bowl onto lightly floured surface, knead and roll about until flour all mixed in try to make round smooth ball.
Press down with your hands as even as you can to a heigh of 25mm or over.
No metal scone cutter? try to find somethin circular with sharpish edge, I have used top of a glass before.
Place on baking paper on baking tray.
Beat another egg using a brush or your fingers brush beaten egg over top of scone, should be 6 to 8.

Pre heated oven at 180c for 18 -20 minutes.

Remove and eat one still hot delicous.

3 Likes

I made a bologney sandwich. But I used Italian ciaccino and mortadella. Mortadella is what boloney is supposed to be because it’s from Bologna. But the American kind is really gross compared to the real stuff.

3 Likes

I’m in charge of dinner for this month. Food Panda doesn’t deliver to our area (I’m out in the boonies). The only service that will deliver to me is Carrefour.

I’m a dad of two small kids. Here’s my repertoire of recipes I can currently cook:

1. Bring water to a boil. All dumplings.
  2. Bring water to a boil. Add hot pot mix, frozen meat, and chopped carrots.
  3. Put frozen veggie burgers into the oven. I can also do frozen french fries. (I am not a vegetarian. I just do veggie burgers because I can’t find meat patties.)
  4. Put frozen veggie mix into a pan. Bring it to a heat. Add barbecue sauce from Costco.

My kids hate recipe #4. I’m trying to come up with some other ideas so that I don’t have to use that one this month…

Any other very very simple recipes anyone can suggest?

Please don’t post anything too complicated.

Thanks!

Pasta and tomato sauce. Kids love it. Do you need a recipe?

1 Like

Wonderful! Thanks!

Can you put your hands on some fresh cilantro?

If you can then do this:

1. Buy a whole chicken (make sure giblets are removed). Size no matter.
  2. Place in stockpot, with breast on the bottom of the pot.
  3. Add a spoonful of salt.
  4. Get a finger’s length of fresh ginger, chop it into thinnish slices (don’t have to remove peel unless y’all are squeamish; if so then peel), add slices to stockpot.
  5. Add a handful of chopped cilantro (this is optional).
  6. Add enough water to stockpot to cover all but top 2cm of chicken’s back.
  7. Cook contents on high until the water boils.
  8. Turn the temp down enough so that boiling water is only simmering (on low).
  9. Put lid on pot, and ignore it for an hour.

The chicken will fall off the bone after an hour of cooking. Serve with fresh or cooked (ie boiled briefly) veg of your choice. Throw a pinch of salt, some pepper, maybe some soy sauce on the veg. The stock makes a great soup all by itself.

Serve it up.

Easiest delicious recipe I know of.

2 Likes

Hmm… I’ll give it a try. What’s a stockpot?

Any big metal pot will do. Sides should be taller by several inches than your chicken as it lies on its breast.

1 Like

Stupid questions:

Does this picture show the chicken breast down?

Should I place it in that orientation in the pot? Or should it be flipped upside down?

Also, when you say that the water should cover all but two centimeters of the chicken… Does that mean that a tiny bit of the chicken should be poking out of the water? (Not completely submerged?)

Easy stuff my kids liked.

1. Roast chicken seasoned with lemon, salt, pepper, olive oil. Roast some veggies at the same time.
  2. spaghetti of any kind. (Sneak in small amounts of vegetables) I like to saute a little onion, garlic, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a chopped dried tomato, and whatever seasoning I want for the sauce. Cook pasta in boiling water then add to the sauce. Top with a fresh grate of parmesan.
  3. grilled sandwiches or burritos
  4. for salads and sandwiches, poach some chicken breasts
  5. hummus with fresh veggies, fruit
    My kids often helped me cook and I believe that’s why they liked everything. They’re both great cooks today. Find a recipe on YouTube and do it together. If they help, they will accept new things and criticize less. It’s more work to involve them because you have to prepare for them but it really pays off later.
5 Likes

No, that chicken’s breast is up. Flip it over.

Yes.

1 Like

Another super easy pasta recipe (I think this is even kinda authentic Italian of one region or another).

If you have two pots, then boil the noodles (spaghetti, fettuccine, doesn’t matter) in one and make the sauce (below) in the other. If you have only one pot then in this heat, in Taiwan, you can boil the pasta until it’s done to your liking (after 4-6 minutes for 400g of dried pasta, you should start carefully snagging a noodle out to see if it’s soft enough to your kids preference). Drain the water off and pour the pasta out into a serving bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of butter. Stir the butter into the noodles. This is to keep the noodles from sticking together, so mix it up good. Just let the noodles sit until the next part is done (5-6 minutes or so).

The sauce is dead easy.

Ingredients. You can get all at Costco, fwiw.

1. 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed by the flat of a knife (smash against any clean, hard surface). Just put the cloves on that surface, put the flat of the knife on top, and hit with the bottom of your fist … in a way that does not cut you.
  2. 8oz or one stick of butter (salted or unsalted, no matter to kids).
  3. 1 cup of heavy cream.
  4. 2 cups grated Parmesan.
  5. A pinch each of salt and pepper.

Instructions-

1. Slowly melt butter until it’s simmering. You will notice some bubbling: that’s water in the butter boiling away; wait until most of the bubbling goes away (not a showstopper if you miss the mark).
  2. Add crushed garlic and allow to fry in butter for a minute or until you smell it cooking.
  3. Add cream as you stir the mixture. The butter will slowly incorporate into the cream. Add salt and pepper, stir a couple times so they dissolve.
  4. Once you see the cream mixture start to boil, add the cheese and stir it into the cream mixture. It’ll melt in a couple minutes or so.
  5. Once you can’t see any unmelted cheese pieces, turn the heat off.

Pour sauce over noodles, serve. You can pour all sauce over all noodles, mix it up, and serve it that way or you can pour some sauce over each kid’s bowl/plate of buttered noodles.

2 Likes

I just made this. My wife was super impressed!

This is the most involved (but the most delicious!) recipe I’ve ever made :banana:

4 Likes

Mom made this for me in quarantine

9 Likes

Mom’s are cool.

3 Likes

These look amazing. I gotta try doing this one day.

* 1/4 cup unsalted, melted butter (and a little more for greasing muffin tin)

• 2 cups Mochiko rice flour (for a gooier mochi muffin feel free to use regular glutinous rice flour)
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ~13 ounce can full fat coconut milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 tablespoons Thai Tea leaves (<- this brand of thai tea is one that I’ve seen been used all over Asia and is soooo good!)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1.5 teaspoons each black and white sesame seeds

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease a 9-cup muffin tin with some butter.
  3. Place a saucepan over medium heat and pour the full can of coconut milk into it.
  4. Constantly stir until the coconut milk just begins to boil and then add in the Thai Tea leaves.
  5. Stir the leaves for a minute in the coconut milk and then remove from the stove. Place a lid over the saucepan and leave to steep for 7 minutes.
  6. In a medium sized bowl mix together the dry ingredients (Mochiko, dark brown sugar, baking powder, and salt).
  7. In a large bowl strain out the Thai tea leaves from the coconut milk and discard the leaves once done. Then add in the rest of the wet ingredients to this large bowl (eggs, vanilla, melted butter) and mix it all together.
  8. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients from the small bowl, into the wet ingredients in the large bowl and mix until everything is well combined.
  9. Divide the batter into the buttered muffin tin and fill until a quarter inch away from the top.
  10. Sprinkle the black and white sesame seeds over the top of the batter.
  11. Bake for 55-65 minutes (until the top looks slightly crisp and an inserted knife comes out cleanly).
  12. Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Then enjoy!
2 Likes