"The Fu Bar" at Fulong Beach

Morning all!

The private event we had today has been cancelled, so we are open all weekend as usual. We will however be closed for a private event on October 23rd.

@ cake: We are at this stage only open on the weekends, but if you give me a shout on my mobile I am usually in town and can shoot round to the shop if I know you are coming. :slight_smile: Sorry you struggled to find the place. We are going to have a big sign put up on the roof soon. Have also had a chat with the information desk up near the station to remind them we are here.

@ olm: Baby steps mate, baby steps. :slight_smile:) We might have some advertising happening next year.

Went to Fu Bar last night. It isn’t such a trek to get there as you might think. Just take the train for 60-80 minutes depending on the train. Train tickets are ridiculously cheap. My ticket for the express train was NT$112 one way.

Follow the Grillmaster’s directions above and you will find it no problem. It is about 5-7 minutes walk from the station. After you cross the main road just follow it to the end and turn right. You won’t see the YMCA until after you turn right. Also, remember to turn left and follow the road immediately after you cross the bridge.

We went straight for the grilled meats ordering the lamb chops, the boerewors, and the steak kebab. All three were serve with pap (with tomato sauce) and a simple salad.

The lamb chops are grilled with a tangy mint sauce that really highlights the flavor of the lamb. You can ask for more for a dipping sauce. The boerewors was the best that I have ever eaten. The steak kebab (sorry I can’t remember the real name – ensanada, espenada, help me please) was succulent and really tender and grilled with a mild curry rub.

Washed down with beer and Hunter’s cider (god how many?) everything was fantastic.

But we haven’t even started yet.

Etienne and Brigitte. Woohoo! Absolutely spectacular hosts. Besides sincere care about the preparation and service, their love for what they are doing shines through and makes your experience truly special. Chatting with Etienne next to the outdoor grill while the “Grillmaster” is doing his thing, having great conversations with them during and after the meal, and meeting a new friend at the next table are some of the things that make this place special. The 4 hours we were there flew by. As we were leaving to catch the last train back to Taipei, Sam at the next table offered to drive us to the station. He ended up driving us all the way back to Taipei.

Plus the location is isolated and next to the beach so the gentle breeze off the ocean makes you really feel like you are on vacation even though you are only about an hour away from Taipei.

Get your butt off that couch and take your family and friends there now.

I used to own a bar in Honduras (Roatan) named “THE FUBAR” Great name.

@ elektronisk Was great to meet you mate, thanks for coming down! Look forward to seeing you guys again. The word you were looking for is “espetada”, Portuguese for “sword”. The missus’s family are Portuguese and we have a few special recipes from her gran.

@michaelcrace Cheers mate. The Chinese name is 福吧 which worked out really well for us as it is the same Fu as Fulong.

Notice: We are fully booked for this Saturday afternoon and evening, sorry for any inconvenience caused to others who were thinking of coming. Sunday is still open though!

Great spot! Highly recommended.

Agree, hardworking good people! :wink:

Hi all,

Fulong is not looking too great weatherwise this weekend. We have a slight water issue to sort out with the roof and will not be open this weekend. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Now to find a decent roofer who understands that restaurants should be waterproof.

Hi all,

We are back up and running, business as usual this weekend. Even if it rains. And the wind howls. And it rains some more. How do we turn the sun back on?

It’ll come back in around the end of May next year,

If someone knows how to contact the owners, perhaps you could let them know of the Pig Party that is being suggested here:

If they want to pm me, I will assist in any way I can. I also have a friend in Hsinchu that has a pig farm but Fubar folks may have their own supplier.

Hi Enigma,

Will respond in the other thread too, my number is 0955 496 175 or shoot me a pm.

Sounds like a place worth visiting next time we are in Taiwan. Do you guys have a web site yet? I usually bookmark all the things I am going to visit in taiwan in my web browser so I can remember them (:

Try bookmarking this :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, then i would be like, wtf do I have a forumosa thread bookmarked here (:

They have a page on facebook. :sunglasses:

A free meal to the first tech inclined person down this weekend who successfully installs our wireless access point. Come and save me from throwing the stupid thing into the water.

After that, we’ll have wireless access on the beach. :slight_smile:

I suggest that you announce your pig roast.
I and friends want to go but we don’t have the number of people to justify our own pig roast. A heads up of an upcoming event would be appreciated.

Working on a solution, will let you all know once we have ironed out the details.

Regards,

Etienne

I would be very interested in joining, as long as schedule permits. I love Etienne and Brigid’s place, and I’ve wanted to meet Enigma (or have we already met? not sure). I imagine we could pull together some other kindred souls for a gathering given enough notice. Maybe a Forumosa happy hour/pig roast on a Saturday afternoon?

Time to push this thread up again. Is “The Fu Bar” still going strong? Next time I am up at Fulong Beach I will report back, if noone else checked lately, or the Grillmaster himself shows up here to confirm :slight_smile: