The GOP's House of Representatives Thread

Sure.

1 Like

First link is subscription only.

From the LAT:

“I think people are gonna be sitting in a recession, and they’re not going to write a blank check to Ukraine,” McCarthy told Punchbowl News on Tuesday, while adding that “Ukraine is important.”

Not exactly nefarious or incendiary comments.

And as if it were even necessary, Pence chirped in

Pence’s rebuttal to McCarthy and his explicit support for continued aid amounted to an endorsement of Biden’s strategy on the war in Ukraine.

The last part seems opinionishy to me.

From NBC:

Amid concerns that a new Congress could take a more skeptical view of aid to Ukraine, lawmakers from both parties are looking to lock in billions of dollars in military assistance to Kyiv before newly elected members are sworn in in January, according to a lawmaker and congressional staffers.

Line up at the trough! Get in on the ground floor. Somehow hook your state or county to the war effort.

Congress last month approved $12 billion in military and economic aid to Ukraine, but the package being contemplated would be dramatically larger, the sources said.

The amount would be enough “to make sure [Ukraine] can get through the year,” a Republican senator with knowledge of the matter told NBC News. “It’ll make the $12 billion look like pocket change.”

So when McCarthy says

House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy of California, who is poised to take over as speaker if the GOP wins a majority in the House in the November midterm elections, warned this week that his fellow party members are “not going to write a blank check to Ukraine.”

People see not a quagmire but an opportunity to save democracy?

And this:

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/23/republican-wave-midterms-congress?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab

And cutting some of its own off from campaign funds isn’t a bad idea. The fewer blind Trumpers, the better.

Reality check: Far-right Senate candidates are still a drag on the GOP. The Mitch McConnell-aligned Senate Leadership Fund announced Friday it was cutting $5.6 millionintended to help Republican Don Bolduc in New Hampshire, earmarking it for other Senate battlegrounds, according to an SLF spokesman.

And this:

Facts are coming in like free votes.

1 Like
1 Like

I was streaming a hockey game (instead of watching the Yankees lose :grinning:) and the stream would run political ads. I found them absolutely amazing. I haven’t really seen American political ads before.

They were full of doom and gloom and well over the top. Basically, if you vote for the other guy, the world as you know it will come to an end.

1 Like

Same here. It’s like, commercial and damn! It’s like rushing the viewer. Fifteen yards.

And this to add to the GOP’s chances:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3701464-cook-report-moves-democratic-house-campaign-arm-chair-maloneys-new-york-house-race-to-toss-up/

The guy is playing all the cards he has.

Look, I’m a gay guy with an interracial family in a Trump district; I didn’t win this seat five times by not worrying about it,” Maloney said in an interview with Times Union that was published on Sunday. “You have to do your work. You have to go out and make your case.”

Can I see your ID, Sir?

I’m looking forward to two years of riveting laptop discussions.

Oh my god, this is literally what you and yours did, like literally.

Right-wing extremists already have a plan to literally steal the next presidential election, and they’re not making a secret of it.

Is that the unwritten rule, that you have to make a secret of it?

Did you have to include the nightmare fodder in your post? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Better?

She stole the election? For what NY senator? I must have missed that.

This false equivalence game sounds really exhausting.

1 Like

Much :+1:

Anyone watch the Fetterman Oz debate? Hearing it was disastrous for Fetterman.

Stealing a march in election denial must seem like a good tactic these days.

Just saw clips on the news. It was as if somebody had put his brain in a blender. Really sad to watch. He should’ve just withdrawn.

Didn’t get off to a great start.

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1585060068932063233

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/editorials/2022/10/30/pennsylvania-senate-endorsement-mehmet-oz-john-fetterman/stories/202210210102

“We don’t really really like this guy, but we think he’s way better than the other guy.”

Unlike most Republican politicians, candidate Oz spent a lot of time in poor urban neighborhoods, talking to people and, most important, listening and learning. He is more moderate on some issues than portrayed. We don’t believe he will be a stooge for the far right or Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. We hope that Mr. Oz will disappoint them and serve in the Pennsylvania tradition of moderate Republicans, such U.S. Sens. John Heinz, Hugh Scott, and Richard Schweiker.

We’re encouraged that Mr. Oz is portraying himself as a unifier who will work with Democrats to get things done for Pennsylvania. It remains to be seen whether he can pull that off, but he has the potential to become an influential, thoughtful and independent senator. Mr. Oz is likable, engaging, extremely smart and a good listener. Yes, he can sound like a smooth-talking salesman, but that may be what it takes to get deals done in Washington.

In a race on which much depends and little is certain, Mehmet Oz has shown he is better equipped to lead and deliver for Pennsylvania.

Well, I see the Great Fox New/Republican Politician Halloween Fentanyl Panic of 2022 turned out to be bs, like all other such scares- marijuana then heroin then LSD then cocaine in candy (they’re drug dealers- why would they want to give away their product for free?) and is quickly dropped. The right-wingers who spread the stories never believed it, of course, but they knew Qanon supporters, the Christian Right and other such MAGA types would listen and repeat. Now that it didn’t happen, it will be bought on the back shelf with the migrant caravans etc., to be rolled out next year.

Wot? Every news agency runs that garbage. It isn’t a left or right thing.

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/04/house-republicans-fbi-justice-department-investigation

I hope they’ve got more than that.

• It’s an eleventh-hour political move by the minority members of the Judiciary Committee to stir up former President Trump’s base days before the election.

Ha, I don’t think so. I used to like Axios, they’ve gotten pretty ah-dah.

• Trump’s grievances against the FBI — reignited by federal agents’ search of Mar-a-Lago in August — have long been an obsession on the right.

lol

1 Like