The Hall of Shame

I think its admirable that the admin takes the time to send out an explanation of why someone is banned. I wonder if relevant chat that mods have about a user, might not also be sent to them.

In a particular case, I remember someone saying there was 15 pages on Fred, which made me wonder if he was privy to the discussion taking place about himself. Would he have kept pushing the envelope that lead to him being banned ? More interestingly, how many involved in discussing his case, went out of their way to push buttons that they know would facilitate his banning. Besides, more people might actually volunteer to help if they know it didn’t also compromise their ethics of not forming little groups to discuss another behind their back.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]And that’s my sad pathetic story.[/quote]No, no, trust me. Sad and pathetic is when you got banned/suspended so many times that you would like to have a hall of shame thread so that you could actually remember what you were sent to the bench for each time. :hand:

marboulette

Bottom line is that this site is about helping others. Don’t be crapping on others and be nice. All that being said, I know that I have a bad habit of having a few extra brew and inviting abuse. Just don’t do it too often and stay with us as a community.

I got banned from Formosa on a more or less permanent basis after that time I jumped over the rails at customs in the airport and tried to escape by hailing a cab but the pigs got to me first and wrestled me to the ground, and as I was getting hauled off by the authorities in full view of local TV cameras, in a desperate gamble I pled for help, “Chen Shui Bian, help me! I love Taiwan!” but the pigs kicked my ass off of Formosa anyway. That greaseball Chen didn’t lift a finger to help me, the bastard. Like many I am personally disappointed in the man.

Lots of people getting suspended recently…including a mod. It would be nice to know what’s going on. Bring on the Hall of Shame!

We should combine the hall of shame with some kind of betting pool. Whoever guesses the most reasonably accurate reason wins a golden codpiece.

I’m going to check the Apple Daily for Quentin’s story. They draw pictures.

If this site is about helping others and not crapping on people, then the IP and TP forums should be killed. They do not help a God Damn Thing, and that is where so much of the crapping starts.

And the D&R forum. That place is brutal.

Holy crap. I just realized that Sandman is suspended? This is a serious argument in favor of a Hall of Shame. Sandman has been heaping scornful, vulgar abuse on posters ever since I came to Forumosa, but NOW he has violated a rule and is suspended? How are we to know where the line is? Suspensions and bannings could serve as a guide for the rest of us to understand what the mods will allow and what they won’t. The way it is now, they only provide fodder for idle PM gossip.

It suspect it had something to do with the D&R forum.

Yeah, well Sandman owed me money. And he snickered at my waistline. Enough is enough I say.

Seriously, though, if I thought any good would come from discussing the specific sins of posters and the contexts in which their offences were committed, I would be in favour of it. In fact the flame forum used to be visible to all, but I found that it just allowed people’s grievances to fester like an open sore. Out of sight, out of mind. And while I’m pretty silent on the boards about this, I’m not unapproachable via e-mail or on the phone, although it might take a while for me to respond to e-mails if I’m having a busy week. You can always call me for a quicker response: 0935-560-995. If I don’t answer, leave a message - I’ll get back to you quickly.

I’m much ruder than all of those, and whatever I do I can never get banned, it’s so unfair.
I feel left out :cry:

I’m actually surprised that Maoman finally put his foot down. It reflects poorly on administration when some posters seem immunized to being suspended. There has been many, MANY occasions where sandman should have gotten time off over the years and Maoman always lets him get away with it. That’s, of course, if you look at what other posters get suspended for.

This said, this place would not be the same without the old fart injecting the boards with his vulgar, but often thoughtful, witty and informative tenure.

You have two weeks to amend yourself, sandman. :laughing: I’m afraid that’s not going to cut it. :moon:

marboulette

Bollocks to that! is what he would say if he was reading this.

I perscribe a couple of weeks among the bonny hills of Scotland. That’ll clear what’s ailin’ ya.

What was that about Bonny’s hills? :howyoudoin:

Just FYI, suspensions and bannings are done by admin, not mods. Mods just move, edit, temp or flame things.

You don’t really need a blow-by-blow account of who gets suspended for what – if you read and follow the rules, you needn’t worry about every getting suspended or banned.

As for where the line is, well, my observation is that on average, mild insults generally get temped or flamed, moderate ones and inflammatory bits tend to get flamed, and egregious insults and bigotry often get a suspension, while particularly offensive behavior and repeated offenses may result in banning. There seems to be some leniency (e.g., flame but don’t suspend) if the person being insulted obviously had it coming :laughing:, or if a poster has generally been a good member of the community, and some strictness in application of the rules if the person comes out swinging and hitting below the belt from their very first post.

Is it consistent? You can judge for yourself. Is it perfect? No, but that’s probably too much to ask of a site run by admins as a hobby and staffed by many volunteer mods. Does the overall system work fairly well? I personally think so.

We need a Forumosa Enquirer or a Forumosa Apple Daily with artistic recreations and everything.

[quote]
Is it consistent? You can judge for yourself. Is it perfect? No, but that’s probably too much to ask of a site run by admins as a hobby and staffed by many volunteer mods. Does the overall system work fairly well? I personally think so.[/quote]

You’re biased. It’s a car crash. But that’s why I’ve always like it.

What’s the point in suspending a mod? Does that mean he’s ‘fired’? Or are you of the opinion that regular posters will see it as ‘sending a message’ or ‘being consistent’? :laughing:

Allow mods to be ‘Ignored’. That would be the best solution and make things more harmonious.