The Hatred of President Bush by the Lib/Left

I don’t hate Bush.

But I’m in the US, and for the first time in my life you can safely start a conversation with practically anyone you meet by some variation of “Bush is (insane/an idiot/throwing away lives/etc.)” That has NEVER been the case before with any President. I am including lifelong Republicans in this statement as well.

These people don’t hate him either. But they sure don’t respect him.

I’m planning on running my dog Charlie for president. His slogan will be, “Charlie for President. Because any son of a bitch would be better than Bush.”

And it’s true, pretty much.

Did it? It may have changed for the US, and obviously Afghanistan and Iraq, possibly parts of W. Europe, but the rest of the world everything’s more or less the same.

The only real extra security I’ve seen in Asia was in boarding an Indian Airlines flight from Kathmandu to Varanasi a few weeks after 9/11. And that only consisted of an extra metal detector at the foot of the stairs to the plane. And that had been put in place because the Taliban had hijacked an Indian Air flight from Ktm about a year earlier - it had little to do with 9/11.

But other than that, there’s no major differences between pre 9/11 and post 9/11, in Asia at least. And Asia is where the majority of the world lives.

9/11 changed things for a small section of the world, but for most of the world, it’s business as usual.

Also Eisenhower. Ike believed strongly in balanced budgets. If Ike saw the extent Bush was overspending more than he received in revenues, he would be rolling in his grave. Case in point being the massive tax cuts in 2002 without compensating for it with a decrease in spending.

I despised Reagan’s policies. However I liked him a lot for who he was. I disagreed with 90% of his policies, but still would have voted for him.

I don’t hate Bush. In fact I wouldn’t mind having a beer with Bush in a guys night out. But I went with my head instead of my heart in 2000. Even though I liked Bush personally, I voted against him twice.

The key difference I saw between Reagan and Bush is that Reagan was a big man capable of doing big things. I didn’t see that in Bush in 2000.

I’m a Democrat, but not a hardcore partisan one. Among the current Republican candidates, I would consider voting for Mike Huckabee if he won the nomination.

According to latest Economist, US deficit as percentage of GDP is 1.2 percent. Compare this with many Western nations… much lower. Taiwan is 2.3 percent.

I am not a fan of his excessive spending or enlarged government BUT let’s put things in perspective.

I get a kick out of the people who say they would like to have a beer with Bush. The problem of course is that Bush wouldn’t have a beer with them. They are not rich enough, and they would be too likely to ask intelligent questions that would fuck him up. Bush doesn’t like intelligent questions that fuck him up, and he doesn’t “care” about you or your family. Ironic, rather, when you think about it.

[quote]I’m planning on running my dog Charlie for president. His slogan will be, “Charlie for President. Because any son of a bitch would be better than Bush.”

And it’s true, pretty much.[/quote]

Another example of how otherwise reasonable people project.

And BTW, I disagree with this comment:

This has been true with every resident I can remember. And I remember them back to Eisenhower. They have all had their detractors ready to make their disagreements public. However, as mentioned, I have never seen such hatred seep into such wide-spread acceptance by thise who claim to be such champions of ‘acceptance’ and diversity.

Yes, Clinton* inspired dis-like (and for good reasons which keep surfacing) and Carter is another who many feel is worthy of contempt, and I agree whole heartedly with them, but Bush-hating has become an accepted, almost obligatory mantra.

An interesting phenomena.

People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Projection is a psychological defense mechanism by which a person “projects” his own faults, which he does not want to admit to, on to another person who he can then blame for whatever the problem is. Are you seriously saying that Ironlady subconsciously knows that she is an evil idiot but rather than admit to those qualities she projects them on to a dog who will become president? Is that what you are saying?

Brizzle brabble higgity higgity lobbity bobbity…humph!

I suppose it remains ironic even when you don’t think about it. As for whether or not it remains ironic even while thinking about not thinking about it, well, I don’t even want to think about that.

I suppose it remains ironic even when you don’t think about it. As for whether or not it remains ironic even while thinking about not thinking about it, well, I don’t even want to think about that.[/quote]
:flog:

Just for the record, this is some bullshit spin, like when they try to pin the cluster-f*ck in Iraq on congress, when in fact it was, is, and remains, a Republican war. Just check the record.

Speaking of the record, the OP tried to stir this up by quoting a post about the left hating Bush, but its quite plain that there are hundreds if not thousands of posts where the conservative wingnuts here rant on and on and on and on every month foaming at the mouth about Che Guevara, Noam Chomsky, Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, the red menace, or some other bogeyman that gets them into a lather.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

Oh really? You may have a hard time explaining the congressional actions that prompted the push for 17 binding UN resolutions most of which occurred under the Clinton administration. You may also wish to revisit the Iraq Liberation Act of 1997… you may also wish to re-examine the votes of the congress prior to the war… but that’s right… they were lied to? fooled? tricked? voted for the effort but did not realize that the Bush administration would x, y or z thus leading to failure… blah blah blah. haha

I laugh when I read these comparisons. You have lumped them together quite nicely. So I will just add one comment. What are the scores for political and civil liberties on those nations “ruled by” the Neocons and what are they for the above mentioned “heroes?” Yes, there is a record and it is a very sad one. Compare democracies with the communist “menace” any day and there is a very very long and detailed record. Unfortunately, you second-rate Pol Sci class at the third-rate university led to a fourth-rate education and this proves the fifth-rate adage to a “t.” There is nothing worse than a bit of knowledge about any subject…

Title of your autobiography? haha

[quote=“Toe Tag”]Just for the record, this is some bullshit spin, like when they try to pin the cluster-f*ck in Iraq on congress, when in fact it was, is, and remains, a Republican war. Just check the record.

Speaking of the record, the OP tried to stir this up by quoting a post about the left hating Bush, but its quite plain that there are hundreds if not thousands of posts where the conservative wingnuts here rant on and on and on and on every month foaming at the mouth about Che Guevara, Noam Chomsky, Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, the red menace, or some other bogeyman that gets them into a lather.

Move along people, nothing to see here.[/quote]
In your cretinous eagerness to bash those who are critical of Guevara and his ilk, you unwittingly suggest a good point: the far right’s hypocritical hype about the left hating Bush, as given in the first post in this thread, is equally as silly as the far left’s whinging about the right hating Communists and their fellow travellers. There is strawman argumentation and empty-headed partisanship on both sides of the coin here.

And furthermore, it is not just the left who loathe Bush, and it is not just the right who loathe despots such as Guevara. Centrists and nonpartisan, intellectually honest people have voiced and are voicing their disapproval of both Bush and your “bogeymen.” I know it is difficult for politically narrowminded people like yourself to grok, but sometimes people you don’t like are right. Just because Ann Coulter or Michael Moore says something doesn’t make it fatuous, though it’s mighty tempting to think otherwise (and granted, in Coulter’s case 99% of what she spews is rubbish).

It goes like this: “you lefties are irrational in your hatred of Bush” is just as moronic as “you righties are irrational in your hatred of Che.” I think the words of Robert Conquest, someone who had the temerity to challenge the political left with the inevitable outcome of Marxism-Leninism in terms of body counts, and who you undoubtedly despise for doing the very same, are somewhat apropos here (save for the first two aspects of the quote, in your case): “not even high intelligence and a sensitive spirit are of any help once the facts of a situation are deduced from a political theory, rather than vice versa.”

Reserving Space

I’ve been busy with work/travel (just finished a 110km bike tour to boot). Will post when I get the opportunity; carry on.

I found this quote from a post from almost four years ago here. It’s from a Washington Times Op Ed that isn’t there anymore.

And I just wondered if the Bush lovers are still as passionate about him as ever.

Foreign policy: for the most part yes.
Domestic spending: for the most part no.
Educational reform: for his stated ideals: yes; for his actions and implementations: no

Foreign policy: for the most part yes. [/quote]

Growing minority seems like an odd combination of words, but in the twilight zone, strange things happen.

Interesting that those who would claim to find fault with the OP can do little more than play tit-for-tat re:Che’ & Clinton*.

“Weak as water…weak as water I say”…Mrs. Slocombe.

Let no man and no woman be mistaken. I love bush. .

Show me bush, and I will bring my weedwacker.

Let the wacking begin.