The Hiking Thread 2009

Hi Mucha_Man,
Some hiking club already put Biyahao trail on their schedule and claim that the trail-clearing work is already finished even not yet officially declared.

I’ll mostly stay at Daxi during CNY so I’d grad to join the Biyahao hike!

[quote=“trail_hacker”]Hi Mucha_Man,
Some hiking club already put Biyahao trail on their schedule and claim that the trail-clearing work is already finished even not yet officially declared.

I’ll mostly stay at Daxi during CNY so I’d grad to join the Biyahao hike![/quote]

Well that is the best news I could hear. Can you link to the group’s website?

Okay, as an Ilan resident, what is the weather like this time of year? I expect rain but is it just the drizzle of the north? We need to cross some small streams and river trace up to the hot springs so we have to make sure we won’t have problems with flooded rivers.

yilanma.url.tw/active9801.html
They do the Biyahao hike 18,jan, next weekend, as a long dayhike.

The winter drizzle is geneally quite gentle and periodic. No risk of flooding but leech could be annoying. Anyway, we’ve a long CNY so we can wait for two dry days to do the hike!

[quote=“trail_hacker”]http://www.yilanma.url.tw/active9801.html
They do the Biyahao hike 18,jan, next weekend, as a long dayhike.

The winter drizzle is geneally quite gentle and periodic. No risk of flooding but leech could be annoying. Anyway, we’ve a long CNY so we can wait for two dry days to do the hike![/quote]

Great but I can’t see anything on that site here in Canada on my brother’s computer (no script recognition). In any case, they are saying they can reach the geysers in a day, or just the Old Wuta Village? I thought it was 2 days in and two days out? Or 4-5 days linear? Hmm. Maybe with the trail in good shape it is easier. I hope not too easy.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]http://www.yilanma.url.tw/active9801.html
They do the Biyahao hike 18,jan, next weekend, as a long dayhike.[/quote] :frowning: that is a workday for me - make up for the extra day on CNY

[quote]
The winter drizzle is generally quite gentle and periodic. No risk of flooding but leech could be annoying.[/quote] We’ll just put MM first as the leech-magnet! (Volviic, please don’t let them know how I am with leeches on me - thanks :blush: )

They don’t mention about the geysers and I think it’s too long as a group dayhike even the trail is good. They probably head for the LiuXin elementary school which is about five km from the geyser.

Hi

Anyone plan trip for hiking after CNY?

azman

No, the year of the ox is not an auspicious year for hiking. All hiking stops CNY eve.

Just kidding. There will be heaps of hikes in the new year - lots to look forward to!

[quote=“kage”]No, the year of the ox is not an auspicious year for hiking. All hiking stops CNY eve.[quote]

It’s okay. We just go slower.

BTW, it’s snowing outside my window as I write this. Sleeting, really. God I can’t wait to get back to the Wan.

Mucha_Man,
Have you ever visit this folding kayak company at Vancouvre? They construct the best folding kayaks in the market. How about bring a kayak back to Taiwan and start kayaking this year?

feathercraft.com/

[quote=“trail_hacker”]Mucha_Man,
Have you ever visit this folding kayak company at Vancouvre? They construct the best folding kayaks in the market. How about bring a kayak back to Taiwan and start kayaking this year?

feathercraft.com/[/quote]

A little out of my budget for fiscal 2009.

Any word on that hiking site about their trek up the Biyahao?

Welcome back, MM!!

Mucha_Man,

No words yet about Biyahao hike on the site.
You know that 18,jan is the great day that gov distribute the lovely consumption voucher to his humble suject so there could be nobody shown on the trail. :laughing:
edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiap … .vouchers/

Welcome back MM! We used up the cold spell and saved this warm weather for you.
I am still interested in Biyahao (or some other such trip).

kage, I’m still thinking of an extended hike. The Biyahao still is the front runner. Will depend on how the weather looks. Really don’t want to do this in the rain.

If it goes, I am thinking late next week: maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

Okay, I’ve been doing a little research with maps and the info katelin provided earlier and it seems the trip to the springs will be 3 days.

Day one would be a hike from Jinyang Village near Nanao to the Taipower hut near 布蕭丸溪 (Buxiaowan Stream). Looks pretty straightforward though it will involve some stream and river crossings.

From the camp it’s 1km to the Mohen Stream (莫很溪). From here it is about 2km up the river to the geysers. The distance on the map is similar to what we do on the Daxi River. So day two would be a trace up the river to the geysers with a return to the campsite.

Day three would see us returning to Nanao.

Looking at the pics on the websites katelin provided (dar999.pixnet.net/album/set/13515671/1) the rivers look like they will provide enough of a challenge that I don’t want to be doing this with people I don’t know. Life jackets, river tracing boots, and helmets will be manditory for all.

A couple concerns:

First, if it’s a 2-night camping trip, Wed-Thu-Fri would be far better for us: we need to settle other plans for the vacation.

Second, river tracing in the dead of winter, with expected drizzle in the midst of a cold front, doesn’t sound wise…it sounds miserable, and possibly not good healthwise. How much river tracing will there be? Or would we stick to paths with the occasional river crossing?

The weather is a major concern.

I hadn’t looked at the weather for next week when I wrote the above. It certainly looks bleak and with the temp drop you are correct that slogging through water would be miserable. That said, I at least have neoprene underwear so my guys are safe. :slight_smile:

Take a look at the pics linked above to get a sense of how much tracing there is.

But in short, this does not look likely. But given that it is a 3-day trip I think we can plan for another time, with people perhaps taking a day off work.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I hadn’t looked at the weather for next week when I wrote the above. It certainly looks bleak and with the temp drop you are correct that slogging through water would be miserable. That said, I at least have neoprene underwear so my guys are safe. :slight_smile:

Take a look at the pics linked above to get a sense of how much tracing there is.

But in short, this does not look likely. But given that it is a 3-day trip I think we can plan for another time, with people perhaps taking a day off work.[/quote]

Welcome back, MM.

The weather for next week doesn’t look good, but it would be heavy rain. Do you guys have any interest in hiking nice muddy trails during Chinese New Year?

We did Hapen trails last year, I am thinking of hiking Tonghou trail this year. :slight_smile:

We’re thinking of driving south to Kaohsiung…what are the camping circumstances on Hsiao Liuchiu?

Anyone interested in a road trip?