The Hiking Thread 2009

[quote=“Chris”]We’re thinking of driving south to Kaohsiung…what are the camping circumstances on Hsiao Liuchiu?

Anyone interested in a road trip?[/quote]

There is a great campsite on the island. I did not include it last time in LP as I had been informed that the owner of the campsite tossed a stray dog off a cliff (he was rescued by staff). Just couldn’t in good conscience bring business to that bastard.

I’d love to - am open to anything - would love, love love to give my sister a chance to see the real Taiwan (ie the mountains).

Between moving and working 20 days straight, I haven’t had a chance to actually plan anything ( but what else is new?).

We’re still deciding what to do…we may end up staying in Taipei, but we can do some daytrips and hikes…this way there will be more flexibility.

My doctor suggested I should acutally stop hiking for 4-6 months, I almost cried when I learned his suggestion. But I still planned few easy hikes for myself.

Monday: Hiking in Jiajiuliao=>Strolling Wulai old street=>Enjoying hot spring
Tuesday: Hiking in Ergeshan=>Working at home=>Visiting friends
Saturday: Sanxia Pig Festival=>Hiking in Yuanshan=>Patio 28

There are few days left unplanned. I will plan more short hikes, but I will relocate myself after Chinese New Year so I probably need some free days to pack my stuff, and I have to work on my experiment and visit some friends in Taipei as well.

Do you and Kitty join in this kind of easy hikes?

Monday is family day.

I’d love to do a hike at Wulai and visit Wulai Old Street! (Will the restaurants be open Chinese New Year?)

Could we do that on Tuesday or Wednesday instead?

[quote=“Chris”]Monday is family day.

I’d love to do a hike at Wulai and visit Wulai Old Street! (Will the restaurants be open Chinese New Year?)

Could we do that on Tuesday or Wednesday instead?[/quote]

I see, how about Wednesday? I have to meet friends in Tuesday evening, that would limit my time.

I will still go hiking in Jiajiuliao tomorrow. It’s cold but dry, perfect for hiking there. And I will check if there is any restaurant open in the Wulai old street.

[quote=“Chris”]I’d love to do a hike at Wulai and visit Wulai Old Street! (Will the restaurants be open Chinese New Year?)
ditto…

Why did the Dr. suggest you take a break? Your knees acting up? :frowning:

[quote=“kage”][quote=“Chris”]I’d love to do a hike at Wulai and visit Wulai Old Street! (Will the restaurants be open Chinese New Year?)
ditto…

Why did the Dr. suggest you take a break? Your knees acting up? :frowning:[/quote]

It’s transformed into a kind of chronic pain, but I think I can deal with it as long as I have enough preparation.

So, how about a (an?) Wulai hike Tuesday?

Tuesday is okay. But I will have to go to the trailhead by scooter, because I will have to get to my sister’s place as soon as possible. Can you and Kitty use your car tomorrow?

Yes, we’ll take the car. kage, we can meet you somewhere and pick you up.

By the way, I’ll be out of Internet range until tonight.

[quote=“Chris”]Yes, we’ll take the car. kage, we can meet you somewhere and pick you up.
By the way, I’ll be out of Internet range until tonight.[/quote]

I just got back from Jiajiuliao. The trail was very nice even though I had to hike in the rain.
A lot of cars headed to Wulai and parked along outside of hot spring resorts, but the traffic was fine on my way back home. It would be really nice to go hiking and enjoy hot spring after the hike.

We can at the pavilion at the red bridge front at 10:30 tomorrow, and hike to the cabinet to have lunch and hike back to the trailhead, taking us probably 3 to 3.5 hours to complete the hike. Rain gear is required.

Cool. Afterwards we can eat at a restaurant I know on Wulai Old Street that has interesting Aboriginal food, both vegetarian and meatatarian. (If the restaurant is open…but it’s a tourist area so it probably is).

MM expressed interest in joining us tomorrow. We can then discuss other hiking for the week.

Chris

There’re free and frequent shuttle bus service between the XinCheng train station and Taroko valley during CNY. It may be a good time to explore some wonderful trails in this area. This area is behind some 3000m mountain so the weather there should be quite dry. There’re also some good camping place.

news.pchome.com.tw/living/nownew … 62009.html

Hmm … sounds good. I will be in touch. Is there room for two people in the car (me + 1)?

Taroko Valley sounds lovely - anyone up for that as well?

[quote=“kage”]Hmm … sounds good. I will be in touch. Is there room for two people in the car (me + 1)?

Taroko Valley sounds lovely - anyone up for that as well?[/quote]

I think there would be Chris, Kitty, MM, and you; so there would be a spare seat for your friend. I will ride there so it will be fine. But we need Chris to confirm my assumption.

And thank trail_hacker for this news link. I checked some information about hiking trails there online before and have interest in this region.

By the way, I don’t know why other users PM to Taipei Hiking Club were sent to my PM box! What happened!?

by the way, all private cars are banned from entering Taroko valley so it may be the precious moment that one can cycle or walk on the cross-island highway gracefully.

[quote=“kate.lin”][quote=“kage”]Hmm … sounds good. I will be in touch. Is there room for two people in the car (me + 1)?

Taroko Valley sounds lovely - anyone up for that as well?[/quote]

I think there would be Chris, Kitty, MM, and you; so there would be a spare seat for your friend. I will ride there so it will be fine. But we need Chris to confirm my assumption.[/quote]
Yes, you’re right. I can take kage and her sister. Where should we meet?

We can use tomorrow as an opportunity to discuss other plans for the week.

Should we prepare for hot springs too?

Where and what time are you meeting? I will go for the hike but not the rest. Have an article to write.

[quote=“Chris”]
Yes, you’re right. I can take kage and her sister. Where should we meet?[/quote]

Okay, how about meeting at MRT Xindian station at 10:00?
I will be there with my scooter and will follow your car to the trailhead, so that we can arrive at the trailhead all togather.

[quote]We can use tomorrow as an opportunity to discuss other plans for the week.
Should we prepare for hot springs too?[/quote]

That will be up to you, Kitty, and kage. I wish I could enjoy hot spring, though.
I’ve postponed a lunch with my sister and her family and can’t escape a dinner with them, so I’ll have to get to her place around 5:00 in the evening.
(Edit: I didn’t mean to say I hate my relatives, I just don’t like to be overfed with too much food.)

See you guys tomorrow.