The House of Pain

Sometimes I sit out here and write about certain aspects of my life that make my skin crawl. Much to the dismay of some of you because I can feel the eyes rollin. But as I do so, I am keen to pick up on others and how they feel as well. I can feel certain posters and their angst, detached regret and often their sadness. I’d also like to believe that I can feel their happiness or at least their contentment.

Have any of you noticed certain quips or comments made by posters that are truly revealing? I realise that this could be a hard topic to discuss because most of us don’t like to make an ass out of ourselves when making an ASSumption but hey…whether you see it or not; this forum seems to be therapy for most of us. I’m wondering how constructive it is to jump down the throat of someone else online without compassion, when it’s obvious that you don’t know them in ‘real’ life? Is it something some of you do to feel superior? How is it satisfying to degrade or physically challange people online?

I’ve always wondered how most people can walk through life stepping on others and who don’t stop to think where exactly either party is comming from. Even if you can’t fathom it - why not think about it? It is that frightening? or perhaps most people feed off of others weaknesses?

To know ones self is not a weakness - it’s a strength - but it’s also about control that makes the difference.

I realise it’s easy to say you don’t care and conceal your feelings. Most people would say that it’s just about a good time and don’t think too much but in reality, these threads speak of something to the contrary.

Thoughts?

I hope you’re saving these OP’s in a folder.

Ha!

:sunglasses:

I’m new here and from a fresh perspective I’d say alot of people on this board are depressed and very pissed off. Maybe that’s from living in Taiwan?
I’ve been here since the late 70’s and could never imagine so much negativity from people who come to live half way across the world.
I thought I’d get in here and find some interesting input from the foreigners but seems to be alot of squabbling instead.

Maybe I should go back to my hemit lifestyle.

[quote=“Hongda”]I’m new here and from a fresh perspective I’d say alot of people on this board are depressed and very pissed off. Maybe that’s from living in Taiwan?
I’ve been here since the late 70’s and could never imagine so much negativity from people who come to live half way across the world.
I thought I’d get in here and find some interesting input from the foreigners but seems to be alot of squabbling instead.

Maybe I should go back to my hemit lifestyle.[/quote]

A grain of salt does the trick for most of it but when you can feel the bite, that’s the time to stand up and take notice. But I agree with ya 100%.

:astonished: JEEEEZUS!!! You must be a hundred years old! Do you teach English? :grandpa:

Meet them in real life and most are great happy friendly folk, who do not rip apart what you last said. :slight_smile:

You friggin’ jerk. :wink:

That was a nice post monster.

The way I see it practically any social communication is theraputic. It doesn’t matter whether you are typing away here or jaw boning it with your buddies at the gym or what. At odd intervals people will do all kinds of things, share a joke, get pissed off, be sarcastic, extend a little compassion and understanding, be rude and/or cruel…

Most of the regulars here are just guys who share some basic life experience. All of us went to corn dog high schools in the west, some of us went to college, got a job, got married, got divorced, noticed how cute chinese girls were and came here. Since then we’ve been struggling with the enormity of the differences btwn here and back home. It is easy to shoot the shit with each other basically because we have quite a bit in common and are, to some extent, locked out of the local culture. A lot of us are just looking for a way to be sociable without enduring the traffic.

That about sums it up I think.

It seems to me that the more pleasant the climate the snotier the people are. On average. The best people I’ve met have been from Canada’s North and the Maratimes.

The worst people I’ve met were in California and Flordia when I visited. Also the more affulent the Area the worse the peoples personalites.

There could be something in that. The easier you’ve got it, the more you can afford to be shitty and nasty. The harder you’ve got it, the more you need to pull together and work as a unit.

As a wise man told me not too long ago: Some people are looking to be offended at any avenue they see fit.

Alot of people blow off steam out on F.com and I’m assuming that’s what this place is here for. But on the other hand, the snide remarks of those who obviously think they’re above another make me stop and think “Hmmm Do you even have a clue?”.

I myself have been catching alot of flack lately because people tend to view my posts as egotiscle or as showing off. But in reality, flip the script and see what I’m showing you. My message for the most part is: Violence is bad ummm kay. But I am met with threats of physical violence in which I welcome but would rather not engage. I am not threatened by anyone out here but I am sometimes left in awe. In fact, I take the time to share my feelings and experiences with certain posters who obviously seem scared and confused. This is what most of us should be about and there’s a good number of us who are. Openminded.

If you’re too cool for school - stay out of class. You aren’t ready for the course.

I realise that age has alot to do with it but not in all cases. Are people that void of feeling? Sometimes it just blows my mind and this is a lesson that I myself have to learn. It’s not weakness to show alittle compassion. So why don’t more people show it?

No one is playin a violin for me nor do I want them to. This isn’t about me per se but I would like to point out that some of you out there may need a lesson or two. Not up to me to give it though because I’m sure they’ll find it one day.

I openly use myself as an example for others. Do as I say…not as I have done.

P’z

[quote=“M0NSTER”]I am met with threats of physical violence in which I welcome but would rather not.[/quote]And on a tangent, I would like to publicly say - anyone threatening this young man with violence has obviously never met him in person. I mean seriously.

I’m very cynical these days. I don’t think Taiwan has much to do with it - I think the more I learn the less I want to find out and the more diillusioned I become, although I don’t think I have the personality to ever become depressed.
I try not to make snyde comments but I do like to use sarcasm - most people can’t understand it though.

I’ve just got planning permission for a sandpit so i can stick my head in it some days.

I’m new here on this forum that is.

Meet them in real life and most are great happy friendly folk, who do not rip apart what you last said. :slight_smile:[/quote]

It is indeed a unique phenomenon–people who can be aggressively obnoxious online turn out to be extremely sweet people in person. I’ve never been able to figure it out. Passive-aggressiveness?

Bob wrote with wisdom there, BTW. Nice job, Bob.

:astonished: JEEEEZUS!!! You must be a hundred years old! Do you teach English? :grandpa:[/quote]

:laughing: feel like it sometimes but actually I’m only 47. I came here in 78.
I quit teaching aound 1983. Got tired of being jerked around by the language schools and got into other things.

I liked the song “Jump around,” but the rest was garbage.

:bravo: :bravo: :notworthy: :notworthy: