The increasing irrelevance of degrees

It’s not because NTU or Tsinghua are such good schools, it’s because you have to be the top students (with highest scores on the exams) to get in these schools. And in Chinese world (and most Asian countries) scores, degrees, diplomats represent everything about you, and all that people care about.

2 Likes

I assure you that the part of your statement appearing in bold is not strictly correct.

Guy

It’s just a box to tick for general people. It’s necessary for particular jobs.

I first came to Taiwan on a working holiday, decided I wanted to live there but had no degree. I was planning to get an associates degree just to tick the minimums for visa sponsorship. Then I met my husband and long story short still no degree. This didn’t hinder me though as I had the right to work. I worked at public schools, cram schools, kindergartens, voice ‘acting’ for English listening exams, mystery shopping, I had a fair few offers at private schools to that I never ended up taking (usually due to deciding the location wasn’t for me). The most I earned in a month was $150,000nt, least, $0, average probably around $75,000nt and I didn’t work very hard.

In Australia employers value the education they provide but not education you sought yourself, at previous employers or at universities. It’s a total waste of money and you won’t get a return on investment with the exception of certain industries/jobs. Least I earned in Australia was $8.44/hour (15 years old first started working), most $87,000/year and I’m on track for $100,000 the next financial year. But I work much harder in Australia.

There are jobs and money everywhere in both Australia and Taiwan, you just have to look for it and have a good attitude.

Having a good attitude towards work has been way more valuable to me than spending 10s -100s of thousands of dollars on a degree that would mean I couldn’t work full-time for 2-4 years.

3 Likes

Like most serious answers to complicated things in life, it depends. What degree, what are you hoping to get out of it, and what are the tradeoffs? You’re looking to upskill - ok, what does upskilling do for you and what do you want out of it? If it’s purely financial, it’s a relatively simple trade (with some sensitivities to assumptions). If it’s something else, well, it depends .:wink:

3 Likes

How about something old-fashioned: actually getting an education.

I agree however that for many people in some parts of the anglophone world, the university system and its ludicrous pricing do look like a racket.

Guy

3 Likes

Fair enough, but do those things justify the money and time that you invested in it? For me they wouldn’t be. I gauge my employer’s respect for me by how much they pay me, and I’m of an age where people are supposed to give me respect regardless, the poor buggers.

Statistically speaking, most people get only a marginal financial benefit from their degree; it does pay for itself, but that’s about it. People with stupid degrees often end up out-of-pocket.

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

@Hubert_Golightly 's point is that a degree from NTU (despite its institutional shortcomings) is not a “stupid degree” insofar as it helps to generate reputational capital, among other potential benefits, in Taiwan.

Guy

1 Like

Respect from the in laws: priceless

5 Likes

Yes, I know. People take “NTU” as a magic incantation. But my point was: even taking that into account, is it still worth it? I wasn’t suggesting that he personally has a stupid degree, it’s just that down at the “degree mill” end of the curve, a lot of people end up wasting their money.

:rofl:

Guy

See the posts above and decide for yourself.

Guy

I can’t. There is insufficient information. That’s why I was asking him if there are any other benefits other than respect from in-laws, which has only subjective value.

2 Likes

Yes, degrees are as relevant as they ever were. Especially for new hires because beside ambition it’s also a track record. A college degree shows one can commit to and finish a number and variety of tasks. I resented getting one until about midway through and came to recognize their significance/value. No guarantee of utility or potential of the employee, but a good indicator the person can adapt and figure stuff out - they got stick.

3 Likes

NTU is absolutely a good school.

A master’s from NTU didn’t really cost anything but time (I let my two-year stipend of 6,000 TWD a month accrue and then used it to pay the tuition for a third year).

2 Likes

Wow - that makes all the difference, I guess. In the West people are chucking large sums of money down the toilet on a degree - the sort of money that could buy you at least a smallish house.

2 Likes

I know. I considered becoming a licensed teacher by returning to the UK and spending a year on that, but the fees are astronomical.

2 Likes

I don’t know why being respected by the in-laws, with whom my relationship (and thus my wife’s relationship with them) had completely broken down, is considered quite so amusing.

1 Like

I think it has a value that can’t be measured

2 Likes