The Incredibles -- you MUST SEE this one!

When haven’t they? More to the point they made it a principle to make sure that they continued to enjoy their abilites to the fullest, at expense of others. Besides, I never argue that the ‘talented’ couldn’t or shouldn’t be able to enjoy the fruits of their abilities. It all depends upon what you call ‘talents’ of course…[/quote]
True, the idea of talent varies according to context, but in mine it was academic, and that’s the field I have the most experience in.

As for this enjoying one’s abilities at the cost of others thing being a choice, tell that to the kids in the education system currently. They get no say - which isn’t entirely a bad thing - in whether or not they’re granted leave to freely excel.

If you were that kid shitting in class and getting shit all the times, I guess your sense of self worth would be pretty low … and any form of positive reinforcement would be welcome.[/quote]
I have no problem with positive reinforcement, but when those kids are getting all sorts of commendation and attention while the more intelligent get ignored because “it might make the other kids jealous” (and yes, I heard that myself repeatedly), then things need to be rethought.

In elementary school? All I could think about was a) why the dumb kids were getting patted on the back while I and a small group of others who had done better than the rest of the class had been pulled aside and told to just sit down and be quiet so the other kids wouldn’t be made to feel left out, b) why that kid kept shitting himself (and why he would still join us in swimming lessons without having changed his pants), and c) how much school sucked (like most kids think :slight_smile:) I don’t really think the kids, who are the ones that suffer when things are out of whack in the educational system, really have any say in “what extent they share the resources of the educational system”.

Personally, I liked my school, and despite the shittiness of the education system back home, I still gained useful knowledge by virtue of circumstance that a private education would never have given me. I agree with you, why can’t all schools be given the resources to give kids the best start to life? We don’t have enough teachers, because they get paid shit and work horrible hours, the system is underfunded, and now that we’ve got an accreditation system in high school where you can resit exams as many times as you want until you pass, educational qualifications are increasingly worthless

Who exactly is doing that? Turn on the TV and see people celebrated because they can stuff a knife down their throat… In what way are the talented being stifled? An example?..[/quote]
Well, the education system as a whole for one is doing just that; we’ve got teachers that won’t allow kids to celebrate winning sports games because it might hurt the feelings of the other team, we’ve got schools that hand out medals to everyone regardless of whether they win or lose (not that they’re allowed to even say anyone lost anymore. They just didn’t win, that’s all.) (and as a kid who sucked horribly at sports, I would’ve actually been insulted by that shit - I’m smart enough to realise I lost assholes, don’t patronise me.), we’ve got classes so overcrowded that the range of intelligence is so great that entire courses have to be dumbed down to the border of irrelevance so that the lowest percentile can stand a chance, we’ve got teachers pulling the smart kids aside and telling them not to bother answering questions or making any sort of effort lest they embarrass the other kids, we’ve got students who get 50% on their nth attempt at an exam getting certificates while the smart ones who ace it first time get ignored… there’s a lot wrong with the system. This bullshit has been going on long enough in schools that we’re now getting a generation of adults who have been so whipped into the “we’re all winners” bullshit that celebrating winning or success is actually frowned upon by a large number of people. Add to that the good ol’ New Zealand “Tall Poppy Syndrome” and you’ve got a recipe for eternal mediocrity - if there’s no acknowledgement of success, why bother even trying to succeed? And if mediocrity is acclaimed as a success in its own right, what drive is there to better oneself? If you never fail, how can you improve?

See answer above … define ‘talented’.[/quote]
Well, my post was more about the eduational system, so by that I would mean those that excel academically or athletically.

There’s nothing obligatory about it. If you don’t want to compete, you don’t have to.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Having been one of those children expected to hide their abilities and/or have to be held back and unable to learn and study and achieve at my potential just so those dumber than them can get a pat on the back for not drooling on the desk while they get chided for being better at something than many others, I just want to say:

Fuck you.

Why should people who can excel not expect to be able to enjoy their ability to the fullest? I know, beyond a doubt, that I could have learned more and done more in school had I been allowed to try and go as hard as I could rather than sit and twiddle my thumbs while kids who at 10 still shit themselves in class get congratulated for spelling their own names correctly. I’m not saying those who aren’t talented should be sacrificed, but why should we have to stifle those that are and devalue their achievements just because they’re good at something?[/quote]

I was in the same position (bold), and agree entirely.

How about splitting off all this ranting and raving? I keep comnig back to this thread thinking that people have added comments about the movie.

I liked the movie, very funny and entertaining. Just treat it as a no-brainer, sit back and enjoy the ride. The CGI and sound were awesome (seen as the ‘digital version’ at the Breeze Center) and this is a must-have-on-DVD for me.

Bravo Spack!!
But I think it’s worthwhile to start a new thread to discuss this. let’s dream a little here…I am keen to know where do you cut the pyramid to separate the gifted from the general mediocre. Or do we need more bands? I have a gifted little one that is causing me some pain in the head…I cannot find a school to fit, kinda homeschooling now, the problem I believe will only proliferate.

Btw, what do you think of skipping grades instead of having a separate program for such kids since financially it would not cost the government anything…

[quote]I dunno. The Christian Science Monitor’s reviewer suggests that this film might cause impressionable young minds to embrace Nietzschean or Ayn Rand-ian elitist Social Darwinism. Could be dangerous.
[/quote]

Actually, I thought of Rand when I saw it, for a lot of reasons. Even the little short at the beginning had a propogandistic edge to it in that regard. But who cares? I agree with most of the philosophic implications, and no matter what the movie was well-made and enjoyable in every respect.

Still on the allegorical level, for the Lefties, there’s also plenty of anti-corporate and pro-feminist stuff in there right alongside the ‘when everyone’s super, then no one will be’ Randian stuff. Plus the film doesn’t exactly slag off big expensive post WW2 government programs! Funny how we’ve become so bifercated that we have to always see things in these terms, eh?

YYYYAAAWWWWNNNN… ANYWAY, the animation just blew my mind, especially the island scenes and the starlit sky at night. And the bit with Mom caught up in the different doors was just brilliant! Nearly pissed meself! Have to agree that this one outdoes Nemo, Shrek, or Monsters Inc.

Bravo Spack!!
But I think it’s worthwhile to start a new thread to discuss this. let’s dream a little here…I am keen to know where do you cut the pyramid to separate the gifted from the general mediocre. Or do we need more bands? I have a gifted little one that is causing me some pain in the head…I cannot find a school to fit, kinda homeschooling now, the problem I believe will only proliferate.

Btw, what do you think of skipping grades instead of having a separate program for such kids since financially it would not cost the government anything…[/quote]

Feel free to set up a new discussion elsewhere. Splitting the discussion off the thread doesn’t really make sense as it would leave half of the posts and the new thread missing context. Besides, ranting and raving? Because somebody used “Fuck you”? What world do you live in? No limits have been crossed here imho. And as little as I’m interested in seeing the movie, it seems like a valid discussion directly connected to the movie. Afaik, my co-mod thinks the same :wink:

So, if you feel you’re going OT, start a new thread somewhere else.

Sorry, guys
Iris

Depends. If it’s only one year, it could - and does - work. But if they’d need skipping much further than that, you risk screwing up their social and psychological development. You think bullying’s bad normally? Imagine what’d be like for a kid say three years younger than the rest of the class who’s smart enough to hold his/her own.

It’s a tough problem, but personally I think one of the best ways to solve it would be to actually pay teachers well enough to encourage more people to take on the job, which would lower student:teacher ratios.

[quote=“iris”]Feel free to set up a new discussion elsewhere. Splitting the discussion off the thread doesn’t really make sense as it would leave half of the posts and the new thread missing context. Besides, ranting and raving? Because somebody used “Fuck you”? What world do you live in? No limits have been crossed here imho. And as little as I’m interested in seeing the movie, it seems like a valid discussion directly connected to the movie. Afaik, my co-mod thinks the same :wink:

So, if you feel you’re going OT, start a new thread somewhere else.

Sorry, guys
Iris[/quote]

Yes, please, somebody start an Incredibles thread. :laughing:
When there are more OT posts than on-topic posts, that is the time for the moderator to start a new thread and direct traffic over there IMHO.

The ranting and raving I was referring to was dragonfly’s mammoth monologue. If you look closely you can even see flecks of foam starting to form at the corners of his mouth by the end of it. To answer your question, I live in the real world.

Depends. If it’s only one year, it could - and does - work. But if they’d need skipping much further than that, you risk screwing up their social and psychological development. You think bullying’s bad normally? Imagine what’d be like for a kid say three years younger than the rest of the class who’s smart enough to hold his/her own.

It’s a tough problem, but personally I think one of the best ways to solve it would be to actually pay teachers well enough to encourage more people to take on the job, which would lower student:teacher ratios.[/quote]

Hey…I am tempted to respond to this since I asked the question…we can start the new thread later… :smiley:

I totally agree with grade skipping issues. I believe the social and psychological development is something parents have to play an active part from young to assist the assimilation process. Right now, my kid shuns kids same age and prefers to mix with older ones and I am helping to moderate their play now as the older ones tend to push around. But I do wonder how long it will take for the higher EQ to kick in and manage on own. Certainly we cannot expect all parents to do so due to other obligations in life so the issue remains. I too agree special help would be required if more than 3 years grade is to be skipped…that would be almost genius program, right?

Paying teachers higher is certainly an option but not a short term one.
Even if the government is willing to look into this…it’s a whole “supply chain issue” on the teachers. Paying them high enough will not solve the problem as the right training need to be invested in these teachers first before they know how to handle gifted kids. So this process will take longer than we think. Also, gifted has several classifications so to normalise which area to focus on is another area to look into… So now you know how I ended up with “You take care of your own problem for now until official schooling age, we write you a letter of recommendation for grade skipping” when I attempted to seek some help from the professionals. They were impressed with kid but felt so helpless. Instead I was told, " We are better in programs for the less privileged, i.e. kids with developmental issues like autism, dyslexia etc…". Well, what can I say, certainly I agree they deserve the most attention. So I left the place thinking “I have a good problem on hand, don’t fret!”

I’ve just seen it and was disappointed by the humour in it. I was expecting it to be as sharp as Shrek.

As for the hidden abilities debate…just listen to Bill’s monologue in Kill Bill2 about Clark Kent…the same thing is in all super hero comics/movies etc…certainly not groundbreaking.

Except that Kill Bill sucked.

I thought that about the first one but I loved the second one. DIfferent strokes for different folks.

Haven’t seen the second, mostly because the first sucked so hard I would rather stick bamboo under my fingernails than risk wasting any more of my life on that pile of self-indulgent wank.