The Japanese criticize Taiwan's dirty streets, water

Taipei Times wrote:

Minister Chang Kuo-lung,

If I do my job the way you do yours, I would have been fired a long time ago.

Civil Society. At it’s very core it entails an awareness/basic consideration of one’s immediate surrounding environment.
Most Taiwanese are not even aware that they live their daily lives in a society that time-warped it’s development and as such, any amount of social nicety that existed previously has been utterly abandoned.

The concept of face must have served some vital purpose in feudal times, but it’s continuing holdover is a continuing affront to basic common sense. Most Taiwanese I know who DO realize the extent of the problem here, do not regard it as THEIR problem. They realize something should be done (somone else will deal with it), and they often get quite defensive when one suggests that they should share some responsibility ( “why don’t you go back to your own country!” ).

How they can maintain such an opaque bubble around their own shallow egos for such an extended period of time? I wonder if this results in the psychic stress one sees all too often…

The only consolation, for me at least, is that one can still see a few diamonds in the rough amongst Taiwan’s children. The ones that have not yet beed corrupted by the Shites. Shine on, SHine on!

Great posters! Too bad nothing like that is ever going to happen here. “好惡心!” :unamused:

Haha I laugh from here in Shanghai. It’s MUCH worse. Spitting, people not taking care of their environment, rude behavior, etc. etc. etc. Only good news is there’s not a lot of dog crap because pet ownership (and strays) is low. In fact I don’t recall seeing any dogs on the street.

That’s because they’re all in the restaurants.

:roflmao:

Hope they get better service than I do… :wink:

HA HA! I remember seeing that wheelchair poster for the first time one extremely hungover Paris morning and puking my guts up all over the pavement. :laughing:

Seriously though, what a dumb prick.

“This place is filthy!”
“No it’s not. Stop making a fuss. Anyway, it’s cleaner than Paris.”
“Sayanora, sucker! We’ll be sure to tell all our friends back home about this.”

Way to go, fellah! Ever thought about a job in PR? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Actually, right after I took the photo of the blind guy poster, a woman’s poodle defecated in front of the sign. She said “Merde” and cleaned it up before I could step back and get an even better picture. :smiley:

Thinking about it, maybe in that other thread we should chop the suggestion to complain to the government about being hit by a taxi driver. The complainee might just get a clip around the ear for their trouble.

HG

What’s really funny is that both Malaysia and Indonesia run very successful retirement systems for foreigners. I know quite a few living in Bali, Sumba, Jakarta and Jogja.

" For example, Sun Moon Lake is a world-class attraction but travelers only needed three days to enjoy it, one travel consultant said. "

Sun Moon Lake is a world-class attraction? It’s a lake. A lake. Not even a big lake…it’s a small lake. I’m sure I’m missing something here…anyone want to explain it to me?

Husband: Hey honey lets go to Taiwan for our Vacation

Wife: …

Husband: C’mon it’ll be fun. They have a lake.

Husband: It’s got a cool name…Sun Moon Lake…eh? eh? You wanna go?

Husband: You’re a real bitch…you know that don’t you?

Wife: sighs

Classic. I’m going to save that one for when I meet the tourist board again. :laughing:

Do they have a KTV there?

Not sure, but apparently the sewage treatment plants have not worked for years. That’s one world class toilet they got there. The throne of Ishtar, perhaps? Or is that Shitar?

Bumping this topic to ask forumosans: remember this debacle? Puli foolishly presenting itself as a longstay destination for Japanese before getting its house in order. Let’s just say it didn’t work out.

So fast forward to 2023. Surely things are better now, right?

Not so fast, say this brilliant Taiwanese couple, who seem to actually care about Nantou. We still need to get our house in order.

Guy

4 Likes

Yes it does! I hope the aforementioned couple—bless their souls—can help to get things improved. Nantou deserves better than this.

Guy

1 Like

The jungle smells from the dump—what a wedding aphrodisiac :laughing: :laughing: :clown_face:

What type of sex act is associated with bad smells? Can you give just one example?
:thinking:

1 Like

Nooooooooooooo!