The Japanese criticize Taiwan's dirty streets, water

Puli’s notorious garbage pile (with no solution in sight) continues to get attention as legislative candidates jockey for votes before the January election. One eye-opening report is here:

https://twitter.com/taiwanplusnews/status/1735970523405054002

This report got me thinking. How could such a problem accumulate without a solution? What sorts of incompetents are running Nantou County? So I starting looking at the historical timeline of leadership, which looks something like this:

Yes that’s right. Aside from one brief four year interlude in the early 2000s during which Nantou had a DPP magistrate, it’s been blue all the way. And from what I’ve observed in Taiwan, it’s the counties and cities that (almost) never switch things up where things (almost) never improve.

It still astonishes me that this place thought they could market themselves as a long-stay destination for Japanese retirees. Then and now, it appears they don’t have a clue about what they are doing.

Source of the image above: List of county magistrates of Nantou - Wikipedia

Guy

3 Likes

Funny, this story about Nantou trash just now in news.

Could be an election issue

1 Like

That’s the report I linked above, via twitter. Thanks for embedding a more accessible version.

Yes, as I wrote above legislative candidates are talking about it (or more accurately simply begging for authorities outside Nantou to clean up the mess).

Guy

1:31 “We must actively promote upcycling of waste”.

What should the residents be doing, making little macrame kits out of their used takeaway cartons and plastic bags?

3 Likes

Houli City central has a huge unidentified facility with trash trucks. It even appears the trash is immediately moved underground.

The only indication of its purpose is the bus stop labeling on the street outside.

Houli Cleaning Unit

I guess labeling the facility would not look good in and on the tourist guides.

Could also be some kind of steel or metal related facility.

also water worries, people still do not trust tap water something Japanese will find 3rd world. There are still water trucks for drinking water here. I still avoid tap water even to boil pasta or noodles in

1 Like

What do you use instead? Depend where you live, you can buy a filter and will be the same or better than bottle water.

I been drinking tap water for a year now in Taipei… no ill effect.