The Jordan Peterson Thread

I neither confirm nor denying having an iphone, but this is interesting. On the one hand you characterize civilization as brain dead and about to (properly) collapse, while on the other hand your definition – civilization is just a set of ideas – implies that civilization exists as long as one person carries the ideas of civilization in its brain, even a hermit on a mountain, even after everyone else has died. I’m not saying that’s wrong, just that it doesn’t seem very useful as a definition, and that if it’s the definition you want to stick with, the total collapse of civilization is not just harder than you think but nearly impossible.

At one level I find this very logical, in the vein of the more a regime persecutes its own people, the less successful it tends to be, and the more people have faith in social customs like paying for something and then getting it or vice-versa, the more successful the society tends to be.

At another level, I think you’ve lost perspective. When in all of recorded history were people not living in a web of lies? They can be more cognizant or less cognizant of how much lying is going on, but it’s always going on. When a large number of people figures out something is a lie, there may be consequences, but you’re more likely to get some kind of reform than simply a collapse of civilization.

Again, when was objective reality not replaced by narratives? The shape of the planet doesn’t change (not very fast anyway), but the narratives about it do. A narrative can be closer to or farther from objective reality, but it’s still a narrative. What really matters is how useful it is. If people avoid sailing somewhere because the prevailing maps say “here be dragons”, that probably restricts economic growth and so on. So once people figure that out, a new narrative prevails, and they sail places they didn’t use to.

If a huge number of people sail to somewhere on the map marked “Avalon” or whatever, and it turns out it’s actually a deadly place they shouldn’t go near, then okay, that’s sad, but it’s still not the end of civilization, and the narrative will change again.

I really don’t know why corporate personhood is such a favorite of yours. It’s attributed to the Romans. Speaking of which, did the Romans understand that X, Y, or Z narrative was just a convenient fiction? Take the emperor’s divinity for example. Rational basis? Sure, strengthening and maintenance of a power structure. Totally rational. Also totally fictional and very dangerous. Yet the empire persisted for centuries…

We have a horrible situation now, but that’s what we’ve always had. It’s a bold new arrangement but still the same symphony underneath. :2cents: