The Jordan Peterson Thread

This is exactly my point. Hypothetical outrage. That’s the Peterson way. He got rich on his hypothetical outrage about a law which he mischaracterized as forcing him as a teacher to say gender neutral pronouns or end up in jail. No one asked him to say anything and he led the crusade

Has he said anything about this? Where’s the outrage coming from?

Just took a quick look in the news, I see nothing but I see he could be going to Cambridge as originally planned. I’m glad to see the result of the conversation they were having about “respect” and “tolerance” (in general, and not about Peterson specifically.)

1 Like

He got rich complaining about failing to use gender neutral pronouns potentially sending him to jail.

2 Likes

@eCanada may just be hypothesizing it… There may be no actual outrage here to speak of!

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I said. Manufactured outage about a hypothetical situation that wasn’t real

The situation was potentially real.

Peterson made an enormous deal out if it, but jail time related to pronouns was a potential eventuality. That’s not hypothetical.

2 Likes

Your outrage seems real.

Probably not healthy to have such strong feelings for someone like that.

1 Like

I would say his launch to superstardom is from the outrage against him and the ridiculous reactions and hits on him. People think of Cathy Newman’s hour long strawman “so you’re saying” when they think of him these days. Even the article posted above writes about the lobster he mentioned on the very first sentence.

4 Likes

And Peterson only got rich because people were so keen to make him an outrage. He’d otherwise still be a Sociology lecturer.

2 Likes

You beat me to the punch!

I would point to the interest of people in political correctness issues (I think the first videos were titled “Professor speaks about Political Correctness” or something), a result of PC coming more and more to the fore. I remember him going viral and then getting the press attention. He’s definitely shown an interest in promoting himself, not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I seriously doubt he imagined anything more than professional consequences coming his way when he made the first videos.

3 Likes

It’s a phenomenon that seems to have become a thing over the past decade at the most. I find it interesting and alarming to observe.

1 Like

Nope, I’m cool. Thanks for the concern.

That’s just false. He said he could get a ticket. Then if he didn’t pay the ticket for long enough he could end up in jail. Hypothetical. It’s not a slippery slope. It was imagined

How many people ended up in jail? The answer is zero and peterson’s book is being published.

Your outrage is not hypothetical

So he had to have been given the ticket and refused to pay the fine to see if he would be put into jail for this to be real to you? That’s silly. You don’t have to have it actually happen before you call out bad legislation. In fact, you probably should fix it before the situation happens.

Any kind of legislation backed by the penalty of law should be thought through. There are only 2 real ways to enforce them, monetarily or through the criminal justice system.

The fact that you could be given a ticket for pronouns is ridiculous enough in itself. I can’t believe the defense is that you probably won’t go to jail for it.

1 Like

Saying “That’s just false” is a big part of the problem.

Peterson putting forward the possibility that he might get imprisoned for pronoun usage was not false. It was highly unlikely and he was possibly being a drama queen, but his claim still wasn’t false.

People then claiming that it was false made his claims valid (which they already were in theory, but weren’t in reality).

Personality-wise, do you consider yourself very different to Peterson?

1 Like

You and Andrew have been saying the same thing for the past two years. I’ve already shared the article from the Canadian lawyers who explain the bill and why what you’re saying is false. Search this thread from 2 years ago.That’s why I’ve said I don’t want to get into it.
Keep imagining possible new ways you can get outraged

The reasonable thing would have been to make sure the legislation had some sort of wording that would prevent such situations. Instead, people got outraged and called him a transphobe. Because reasonable thinking is too much.

1 Like

You’re the only one outraged about JP here the last two years.

It’s not false no matter how much you keep saying it. I remember your article side stepped the issue.

1 Like

I’m not sure where you’re getting the idea that I am outraged from, I’m mostly just killing time in this thread. Please, rest assured that there is zero outrage on my end.

3 Likes