The Jordan Peterson Thread

I know a Canadian who a few years ago returned to Canada from 15 years in Taiwan. He was a ‘never Trumper’. He has done a 180 degrees turn because of what he has experienced in Canada. He escaped the USSR when he was younger and gets to hear students talk of how great it was there and try and lecture him about it. He said if his kid returned home and told him the teacher said he could be a girl and dad said that was nonsense then the kid told the teacher the next day, he would be worried the authorities would take the kid.
Canada sounds fucked to me.

I always find the outrage accusations amusing. I wonder whether people think I’m screaming red faced at the computer screen?

My level of interest increases in the evening, when I occasionally get a bit lively.

2 Likes

We’ve been over this before, but if we’re going to do it again, why don’t you show us the law and explain exactly what’s wrong with it, not in political/philosophical sense but in a practical go-to-jail sense.

:yin_yang:

Is it a bigger problem than saying “that’s not hypothetical” about something that never happened and never would?

1 Like

@cake, you haven’t answered my question.

You can’t just accuse people of condoning Nazism with no basis for the accusation and expect to get away with it. Back it up or retract it.

1 Like

Then we don’t need to go over it again.

I took “them” to refer to the employees who were in floods over JP’s self-help book which might lead to their relatives becoming radicalized. Perhaps they are also opposed to the publication of Mein Kampf but have chosen to keep their outrage to themselves?

1 Like

If only there were a thread dedicated to a man who takes clear pronouns seriously!

1 Like

Pronouns can lead to all sorts of confusion when people start messing about with the rules.

1 Like

you, me, and JP :wink:

1 Like

I just looked at C16 again as it’s been a while. All the defense of how JPs claims were false can be summarized as the bill can’t directly sentence someone to jail. That’s true.

All the defense saying it’s false say that the bill doesn’t criminalize pronoun use — because the penalty is a fine or a “non-financial remedy” (being ordered to behave differently in the future). That’s also true. Jail time isn’t one of them. They keep saying this like that’s that.

But what they never explain is this. What happens if you refuse to pay the fine? Or, if you defy the order of the tribunal? Can they send you to jail?

Seems like the tribunal can based off previous cases where people refuse to comply with the order to stop. I found one example here where they were sentenced to 1 year of jail time after refusing to comply with the order of the tribunal.

1 Like

Smooth editing there to get rid of the pauses…

So in the end, he doesn’t say outright that he does believe it’s a Marxist plot, but he finds a polite way to say he doesn’t believe it’s not a Marxist plot. And he does concede there’s some benefit to it despite the not-not-plot he fears so much.

And he admits his views are “confused”. I respect him for that part! :+1:

Expert question dodging there! :clap:

1 Like

I answered the question.

It was it depends. You then tried to make your own scenarios to get the answers you wanted. Not going to work.

Problem is, there’s zero evidence for that. If I’m not mistaken, it’s just a shameless attempt to smear people. So come on @cake, set the record straight.

Evidence for what?

Evidence that the people at Random House are closet Nazis.

I don’t think he made the claim they were closet nazis. That publisher does publish Mein kempf. Maybe the people there also objected. But doesn’t seem like it.

1 Like

The USG sold the copyright to Houghton Mifflin decades ago. When did Random House publish it?

And if the company does publish it…

…those same people who complained about JP would probably be the last to say they have no problem with AH. (Duh.)