The Jordan Peterson Thread

One could use the same argument against his detractors (ahem). But since JP in the Cathy Newman interview said that it was good for her to be tough on him, this clearly doesn’t count. Next!

I don’t follow, but I will ask a second time for your justification on this one.

You haven’t answered my original questions, so this makes you seem like a hypocrite.

A. For the third time, what is your justification for this?

A. Not that I’ve noticed. No more than you. I won’t ask for justification on this one, though, until you sort out the sacrifice

A. I haven’t memorized everything he said. Is there more context and quote than this in your book?

You the author? No. Is the entire book written in this style?

I gave one of the videos a chance on his youtube.

His argument for JP being a nazi is this.

JP talks about how many people would have been a nazi in the time of Nazi Germany. His point is clearly that humans are capable of evil, he explains the psychology of group think under those conditions and how propaganda was effective towards those people.

The author however equates this as a nazi signal to other nazis to reimagine themselves as nazis.

I find this disturbing. There are many books that goes into the psychology of people like SS and how they can commit those atrocities. That doesn’t mean we excuse them, we are simplying trying to understand how people can as a group do horrible things.

It doesn’t help that he purposely takes random shots of him doing nazi salutes when he was probably just gesturing normally like anyone else is doing.

I also agree with JP, I’m obviously not a nazi…that would be weird…but CKS son was one so I guess there are Asian Nazis. But it’s not hard to imagine how people at the time would have became nazis. One of JPs point is that you are not as good as you think. You might disagree and think you would have never became one and resisted, and maybe that’s true. But that doesn’t make JP or me a Nazi for thinking humans fall under group think and propaganda under certain consitions.

Take POWs for example, we see POWs wanting to return to their captives and defending them. It’s not really unthinkable to think the average person would have fallen into the Nazi ideology with what the Nazis were doing.

I think most people interpret what he says as a warning not as a signal to become a nazi.

you’re more generous with your time than i am, i’ll wait to see if @Ed_travels_again can manage to respond to any of my growing list of questions and comments here before bothering to look elsewhere for more of their opinions…

I thought Hitler comparisons got tired in 2016… Maybe not to the lefties though as they are obsessed with comparing him with people even though many have no idea what Hitler was about.

I watched another one where the author equates JPs explanation of how Hitler was so popular and able to take control of Germany as him being a Nazi sympathizer.

I taught history part time in Taiwan as one of my first jobs. Thinking of people in history as good or bad is what children do. Kids often ask “so he is a bad guy” or “he is a good guy?”. That’s not how adults understand history.

For example, CKS. I think he was a awful dictator. But that doesn’t mean I can’t recognize that he built Taiwan up and industrialized (at the expense of locals). He did build some foundation towards democracy even if he never inteded for democratic elections during his time. He protected the island from Maos China.

Understanding these issues and being able to separate them from the evils of CKS is what adults do when they look at history to understand.

It sounds basically like JP said Nazi so Nazi. And I have a book.

JP did use the Nazi salute once that I know of…but he was demostrating how much discipline and dedication Hitler had to hold that position for 8 hours basking in the glory for himself with people surrounding him. I think most people can grasp the point JP was making as that Hitler wasn’t just some random lunatic that wants to do evil. He had a specific psychological thought process to the evils he was doing.

But he likes to use that picture as evidence of JP being a nazi…

If you really think you wouldn’t have become a Nazi, there are so many examples of how people behave in those conditions. It is a warning rather than a justification of being a nazi.

That’s why I do the Nazi salute too.

I finally got the plagiarism angle.

JP says Hitler was very organized and that’s how he got power during a time of chaos of the German people. Hitler offered a organized society and the German people accepted it in a terrible chaotic time.

JPs self help books talks about getting organized with your life literally (clean your room) and figuratively.

So therefore, JP plagiarized Hitler.

Guys, we already debunked this crap hundreds of posts ago! :grandpa:

Who knows, maybe he’ll make a slight profit. :cactus:

In 2016 there were also righties literally calling Hillary worse than Hitler, just fyi.

Oh yes, they were calling her Hitlery.
I am still waiting for Trump’s conscripts to march into Central and South America to spread the Trump Reich. Only a few weeks left for him to do it, it seems.

Anyone can publish a book on Amazon. There’s no gatekeeper or editor, so every crazy person can publish a book of nonsense as they like.

I looked up Mr. Parfitt’s new book on Amazon. It has two reviews. Both are one-star reviews. The review titles are: buying the book encourages and rewards uninformed nonsense, and complete hatchet job by a lunatic.

Looking forward to more reviews!

Of course there’s a gatekeeper! :upside_down_face:

(No, that’s not Mike Myers, or Donald Pleasance, or Christoph Waltz, or…)

Ah, an expat lobster community. How encouraging. I hope everyone has learned a lot by thinking about the all-seeing eye of Horus. What self-help guru doesn’t talk about the wisdom of Horus? The Egyptian falcon god can really help get lobsters’ lives in order. Thanks JP.

Here’s another video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvtWWJD_0o&t=146s

Uh…how about ignore it? You know, like everybody else.

So you divide the world into two groups, those who believe everything in your book without question, and lobsters? You might find the world more interesting if you consider spectra, nuance, and shades of grey…

I have learned a lot in many ways, and I suggest you try it some time. One way I learn is by asking questions, and you still haven’t managed to answer any of mine…

I would say more, but I don’t want to give anyone free material for a future book or video.
:tumble: