The Joys of Bathroom Renovation

It that extra plumbing a mixture of (white) plastic piping with (silver) metal 90° bends? Or is it an insulated metal pipe?

No U-bend on the sink drain?

The white pipes are insulated metal for hot water, grey being plastic for cold.

U-Bend will be under the sink itself - as it was with the old one.

1 Like

once you take the toilet out, you need to redo the tiles I believe. I was quoted 50000 for new tiles, door, toilet and sink, but no bathtub (good riddance).

Not necessarily. It depends if you want to move the toilet or just replace it with a new fixture (old ones sometimes get coated in crud that will not clean out especially if it has not been flushed in years).

But it really largely depends on the kind of tiles you want to replace it with… it takes no time at all to remove and redo the tiles.

yea, the worker probably get 2000 or less, and the boss keeps the rest…

I’ll be following this thread with interest. We are not far behind you. Have a builder lined up but still selecting tapware, basins, tiles etc. Got a bit of a shock at the prices of the German shower sets, but our builder insists the local ones “no good”. Hopefully I can learn something here. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

3 Likes

Yea of course all the German stuff is “better”. they probably make better profit on those anyways.

I see Taiwanese fixture used all the time and they are not “crap”. It’s all down to whether or not they are maintained.

Couldn’t agree with you more. Problem is convincing my wife that the local stuff is fine.
I’d be very happy saving near enough to 50%.

Well too many Taiwanese think anything from Europe is good. They have too little faith in their own craftsmanship.

If I have a starting price of 100,000NT for a custom guitar everyone thinks it’s too expensive but they’ll spend 5 times the price on a guitar from a European maker.

You could convince a Taiwanese that a Trabant car is better than a Taiwanese car… it’s made in Germany, and it’s a piece of junk.

1 Like

Yep, we are both on the same page here. Same when we were shopping for a car. Local product not good enough. Neither was Korea. Japan OK. US OK, Europe better. I would have been happy with a Luxgen. Its the same with everything. When I remind her she was made in Taiwan it shuts her up for about 20 seconds.

1 Like

US cars are not even that good. They’re too expensive, have too many problems, and have poor fuel mileage. Japanese makes good cars.

Also every Toyoda and other brand cars are actually made here. They just slap on a Toyoda logo on it. It’s a lot cheaper than importing them.

1 Like

Make sure what they’re selling is actually made in Germany, there’s a lot of stuff with German names that don’t exist in Germany and also a lot of “designed in Germany”, made in China stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I suspect some of the stuff we saw in Hola might fit into one of those categories.

Personally I wouldn’t be comfortable with the routing and number bends/fittings on that hot water piping, especially if it will be buried in the concrete floor. Have they at least done a full pressure test of the whole system?

1 Like

Likely, I always google the brand names, at least 50% of the time they only come up with Taiwan/China search results.

1 Like

Even better, Canadian dollars. And materials are largely more expenaive in Canada than the US. Wood being the main exception perhaps.

I live by the system that something will either cost time or money. And the variations of price are based on those 2 points.

This is kind of the point. 60k bayhrook should be NICE. Nothi g wrong with them spending that money on skmethu g they want. Everyone has the right to spend their money. Lets just hope they dont regret it because 60k can buy a crappy house outright in many states.

For my place (have 2 houses on acreage, this is the small one that needed a rebuild) it was cheap as to rebuild if a peraon spends the time to figure it out. Of couraeb the second you hire a contractor to do that, forget it. Again not a bad thing. But i am in the wood business so it was logical and morally not ok to let a contractor F me. I could have done solid rick counters etc but frankly i dont like them. I did everything wood cause i love the natural warm look. If i was going to do stone i would import slabs from here and hire 2 strong guys to do what i say for a day. Just depends…time or money. I was on a half year break from taiwan at the time and inhave to remain busy, so it made sense to do this myself. Hire some muscle for help and enjoy the build.

Money is well spend on intelligent electricians/plumbers.

I would strinly stronly suggest not having that electrical out there at all. If ou insist on having an electicity aource open to your shower, at the very least have them put in a gfi switch as the grounding in the house is more than likely not adequate. Even if it is to code, still put in a gfi. Like 100nt more and maybe get another second or so which may be enough to not stop your heart.

A “Leak test” is to be done before the floor is poured. presumably thats a “Pressure test”.

Err…isn’t Gogoro designed and made in Taiwan? Is there anything like Gogoro made in Europe? I specifically am referring to electric scooters.