The Killing of Daunte Wright

Businesses all over Brooklyn Center and Minneapolis are being looted and vandalized, so “a handful” is probably a poor choice of words.

Here are a bunch of accounts of what is going on in Brooklyn Center right now. We already know what narrative RW media is going to push. And why. Let’s keep the focus on the vigils going on.

For a more balanced look: Protests continue for second night in Minnesota after medical examiner rules police shooting of Daunte Wright a homicide / Twitter

Rioting and looting aren’t narratives. They’re actually happening. The attempt to downplay and justify them, on the other hand, is part of a narrative.

2 Likes

I’m often mocked for pointing out that poverty is a mindset, but I think this rather proves the point. If you’re poor, you go to Dollar Tree. It’s the Way Things Are. Whether you’re buying or stealing is immaterial.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve been known to shop at Dollar Tree! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Instead of a zingy retort, maybe you could look at the link I just provided, which shows vigils all across the country. The ‘rioting and looting’ make up a very small part of the reaction, no matter how much cynical right wingers want to make the narrative about this.

It’s really so predictable its sad.

Family of Daunte Wright expresses frustration at Minneapolis vigil

The 20-year-old was fatally shot by a police officer during a traffic stop. The officer reportedly thought she was deploying her Taser when she shot him.

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. — You could hear the words dedicated to the latest Minnesotan killed in a police officer-involved shooting echo seemingly for blocks in the city of Brooklyn Center Monday night.

“Say his name, Daunte Wright, say his name, Daunte Wright,” the crowd chanted.

It was part of a Daunte Wright memorial vigil repeated by the crowd of hundreds to say his name. The vigil took place where the 20-year-old died from a Brooklyn Center police officer’s gunfire. Faith leaders joined the vigil honoring Wright’s life and demanded justice.

A local pastor spoke to the crowd over the loudspeaker, saying, “Isn’t this child’s life worth more than that of an accident.”

Other speakers included Rev. Janet Rupert, who works the night shift in a local intensive care unit. Rupert conducted one of the corporate prayers during the vigil, where she called for peace as well comfort for the family of Daunte Wright. She also lead the crowd in a quiet moment in honor of Daunte.

“I just want us to take a moment for us to close our eyes and look up or have a moment of silence,” Rupert said

I’m not poor, but I love Dollar Tree and Family Dollar. I am stingy though.

3 Likes

No offense, but there are probably a few thousand other people that died recently more worthy of vigils.

This was a tragic mistake, but the guy brought it upon himself.

2 Likes

And yet here you are pushing a narrative downplaying the rioting and looting. Notice that I didn’t make any comments attempting to downplay your posts about the vigils.

1 Like

More worthy?

Wow, what a shitty thing to say about someone that was just killed in a homicide. Maybe you’re just saying it get a reaction. You wouldn’t say it to that family’s face, I’m sure of that.

2 Likes

“ In the body camera video, it appears he tries to get away from the police and get back in his vehicle when the officer shouts, “Taser! Taser! Taser!” The she shoots what turned out to be her gun. And then she says, “Oh, (expletive), I shot him.””

Yaaaaaa right. Such a sloppy show. Everyone knows it’s fake. This is probably part of the secret training.

Unfortunately jurors buy into it.

The racist cops are such cowards that they have to resort to tactics like “oh I got confused” “oh I thought he was a danger”. At least man up and admit you shot a black man due to the color of their skin.

2 Likes

Because its in poor taste, the degree to which people are ‘looting’ to ‘enrich themselves’ is amplified, and this reporting is distorting the bigger picture of the incident. I’m not downplaying it, I’m pointing out the obvious RW media angle of talking only about the looting–to deflect away from the police killing of Wright. Same formula, over and over. Nothing new.

I encourage everyone to donate to Wright’s GoFundMe page and that’s where I’m going to put my focus in this discussion.

Nothing wrong with this, but the looting and rioting is an important part of the picture and also deserves to be noted and discussed.

So there is special training due chips to kill black people now?
LOL, get real.

4 Likes

Of course I wouldn’t. They are mourning. Such a false equivalency.

2 Likes

“ The officer was identified Monday evening as Officer Kim Potter, who has been with the department for 26 years. ”

A 26 yr old veteran cannot handle pressure and distinguish 2 objects she has handled everyday for so long. Pleeeeease

Just a killing by someone who wanted to do it and typical American police excuses

2 Likes

It’s just this kind of thinking that’s inflaming racial tensions and making things even worse. Good thing @DesiInTaipei isn’t an American citizen. There’s more than enough race baiting going on as it is.

3 Likes

When you revel in the idea of death and killing like we’ve seen repeatedly, I guess it’s easy to see the same in your fellow humans.

2 Likes

Wow. I didn’t know you’ve examined my “papers”

Uh-oh. Please tell me you aren’t an American citizen.

1 Like