The Life Engine

https://thelifeengine.net/

This is sort of like the Life game where you can watch complex behaviors evolve out of simple rules, except there are 6 building blocks of life, producer, mouth, mover, eyes, attacker, and defender.

You can just watch things naturally evolve, or play god by adding walls, dropping food, or design your won creatures. You can also change the rule of evolution, allowing animals to produce their own food, change mutation rates, penalize reproduction, and more.

You can even design a working computer inside the game, which you can load one from Community Creations.

1 Like

I made a special flower protected by armor all around.

It will deposit a layer of food inside its protective shell. I then made a bee that will rotate its mouth into the shell to collect the food.

A bee getting food from the flower.

After some evolution, this world is filled with flowers and different kinds of bees.

2 Likes

Can you add a different kind of bee, like one that’s quicker but requires more food and watch them compete?

I’ve got several kinds of bees now.

These guys protects themselves a little bit while foraging.

This one is as small as a bee could get

This guy stings whoever’s in front of it

I call these guys balloon poppers, they are not very good at hanging around, but drop a couple of them into an area and they will pop one or two purple shelled flowers.

Lastly, these guys seems to be the ones they hang on the longest.

They’ve got two eyes.

1 Like

A more efficient purple shelled flower killer, which I dubbed the killer bee.

If you turn on one-touch kill, then it’s too good at killing the purple shelled flower.

Looks like fun. Can’t wait to waste the last hour of company time on this!

Basically you just let it evolve in the background. Unless your goal is to design every creature, you can’t accomplish much by staring at it.

Yeah that’s kinda what i mean, just nice to have something visual to peek at

A more efficient purple shelled flower. I’ve been trying to design a parasite that can live inside the flower, and then hop into another host once the first one dies. Not as easy as I thought…

Wasp, even more efficient at killing them unevolved purple flowers.

Worker bee. As efficient as the two eyed bees.

1 Like

How do you measure “efficiency”?

With unevolved purple shelled flower, the efficient flower killing wasps can clean out a full screen of purple flowers in a couple of minutes.

1 Like

To sustain the wasps drink from the flower while killing it in the process, I created a version of the flower with fewer cells to increase raid of reproduction.

I call this one dual leaf. The original purple flower is called chip.

1 Like