The Morgue 2005 (I)

Ossie Davis, dead at 87.

arthur miller passed on friday feb 11th …

death of a salesman - read it again.

or The Crucible, especially in times like now in America.

Jack Chalker.

qis.net/~ewhitley/eva/
jackchalker.com/

RIP Jack.
And you were right, no VC got east of Albuquerque on your watch.

Jimmy Smith. RIP.

suntimes.com/output/music/cs … ith10.html

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.”
John Vernon

Must have been a weird guy. I read pretty much all his books up until about 1990 when I stopped reading sci-fi. He seemed to have a thing about getting transported into another body, especially involving the body of someone of the opposite sex. Lot’s of weird sexual stuff in those books. :slight_smile:

Brian

Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like ``Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,’’ fatally shot himself Sunday night at his home, his son said. He was 67.

Damn!

[quote]
Author Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

ASPEN, Colo. - Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” fatally shot himself Sunday night at his home, his son said. He was 67.[/quote]

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … t_thompson

When the going gets weird, the weird turn suicidal.

RIP H.S.T.

OK, now everyone can stop using the phrase ‘gonzo journalism.’

that’s a shame that. still at least he went out the same way he lived his life…like a homicidal maniac… :laughing:

Sadly, the article only mentions the Johnny Depp/Benicio del Toro film. One of the best movies I’ve ever seen is the Bill Murray/Peter Boyle vehicle Where The Buffalo Roam.

NIXON! Growl, snap, snarl…

“The only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing more depraved or helpless (?) than a man in the depths of an ether binge.”

He will be missed.

The Bill Murray film was brilliant.

Thompson is gone. Another one is lost from our ranks.
Too depressed to write, need to get drunk, drink some cough syrup with a Xanex and scare some Republicans.

I first read Hunter S. Thompson’s Hell’s Angels when I was 11 years old. The lady in the book mobile that would drive a library on wheels told me that it would’t be appropriate for a young reader, I told her that I was just interested in motorcycles.

It changed my life.

The second time I read Hell’s Angels was last weekend in a dingy hotel room in Bali. Strangely enough I found a worn copy in a 2nd hand book store in Kuta for $3.00 and re-lived my childhood.

He was a gun nut, an acid eater, he had bad taste in clothes and football teams. He shouted instead of debating. But he was a loud, clear shotgun blast in that dark conservative wilderness of the stunted American mind.

We need him the most considering the current situation the world is in.

It’s too bad he had to take a coward’s death,being a person who never seemed to prostate himself at the altar of Corporate American greed and uncreative stupidity. He always had time to freak out the squares.

Gone like the last American Buffalo---- we’ve lost a free mind.

It is a shame. He was one of a kind: eloquent, independent, drug-addled, hilarious political junkie.

[quote]It was the fall of 1969 and the Aspen Mayoral election was coming up. Thompson was so disgusted by the candidates that he and a group of local friends ran their own candidate for mayor: a 29-year-old hippie bike-racer named Joe Edwards. Their campaign began three weeks before the election and nearly caused the upheaval of the small Western town.

This wasn’t a whim or joke. Thompson noticed that there was a very low voter turnout in previous elections and determined that for the most part, it was the 18 to 25 year olds who were missing. So the theory he perpetuated was that if any candidate could garner the young vote, they would have the power to not necessarily win, but at least change the outcome of the election.

But the Freak Party got more than it bargained for. With only three weeks to organize, Joe Edwards lost the mayoral race by one vote. . .

Thompson himself ran for sheriff and his platform was pretty direct: an end to the selling-off of Aspen. . . The Freak Party campaign was unique to say the least. The Party posters bore a red fist clutching a peyote button. Thompson shaved his head clean. The Freak Power Party proposed changing the city name to “Fat City” to scare off investors. It’s hard to gauge if people actually believed this. On the question of drugs, as Thompson wrote, “We ran straight at the bastards with an out-front mescaline platform … marijuana got lost in the scramble.” Thompson relented a bit before the election, saying he would refrain from taking mescaline while on duty. In the end Thompson lost the race 1500 to 1065 . . .[/quote]
litkicks.com/BeatPages/page. … rSThompson

Only in America.

[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-morgue-2005-i/14641/29

Yes, this news really depressed me. Of all things, why didn’t he leave a note?

writer’s block?