The Morgue 2009

Vincent Ford, author of the classic “No Woman, No Cry”.
Died, Sunday Dec. 28th, 2008.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7806778.stm

I have played this song to absolutely everyone i have met.
Including the younglings…
Oh, it resonates, yes it does!

[color=#BF0080]
[i] "cause I remember when we used to sit
In a government yard in Trenchtown,
Observing the 'hypocrites
Mingle with the good people we meet,
Good friends we have, oh, good friends we have lost
Along the way,
In this great future, you can’t forget your past;
So dry your tears, I say.

No, woman, no cry;
No, woman, no cry. Eh, yeah!
oh little darlin’, don’t shed no tears:
No, woman, no cry. Eh!"[/i][/color]

Yrie!

Freddie Hubbard died a few days ago. He played with all the greats: Miles, Thelonius, Coltrane and many more.

abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir … id=6543764

Tom cruise and john travolta must be devastated…

[color=#FFFF40]
ok,i’ll get me coat…[/color] :blush:

Seeing as no one else is going to start it, I will…

Helen Suzman has died at the age of 91 at her home in Johannesburg on January 1st, 2009.

Helen Suzman has a special place in South African history, being generally recognised as the most effective parliamentary fighter against the old National Party’s apartheid policies when the NP was at the heyday of its power. For 13 years – from 1961 to 1974 – she was the sole representative in Parliament of the liberal Progressive Party, forerunner of the Democratic Party.

In recognition of her role, Suzman received honorary doctorates from a number of leading universities throughout the world and South Africa. Among them were Oxford, Cambridge, Columbia (New York), Harvard, Witwatersrand and Cape Town.

Suzman was twice nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and for the Chancellorship of the University of the Witwatersrand. Former South African president Nelson Mandela, whom Suzman visited on Robben Island during his imprisonment there, has referred to her as “a remarkable South African woman”.

In an interview with Sapa on the eve of her 90th birthday in 2007, Suzman said her greatest life lesson was “Go see for yourself, don’t take what the press tell you, don’t take what other people tell you; go and see for yourself”.

She was really a remarkable woman, and stood up to all the fire and ire dished out by the NP during the 60’s and the 70’s, not a very nice time to have been anti-Apartheid in South Africa. People disappeared and were imprisoned for less. She was a true South African hero. God Bless her. May she rest in peace.

[color=#FFFF40]
ok,I’ll get me coat…[/color] :blush:[/quote]

That’s L. Ron Hubbard

[color=#FFFF40]
ok,I’ll get me coat…[/color] :blush:[/quote]

That’s L. Ron Hubbard[/quote]

and THAT was also a joke :wink:

[quote=“dablindfrog”]john travolta must be devastated…

[/quote]

Yeah, he is.

latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedish … oltas.html

[quote]The teenage son of actor John Travolta died suddenly on Friday during a family vacation in the Bahamas, according to police and the family’s lawyer.
Jett Travolta, 16, suffered a seizure at his family’s vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay resort on Grand Bahama Island. The teen apparently hit his head and a caretaker found him unconscious in the bathroom on Friday morning. He was taken by ambulance to Rand Memorial Hospital in Freeport, where he was pronounced dead, according to a statement from the Royal Bahamas Police Department.[/quote]

uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20090102/te … 34b85.html

You guys do realise it’s 2009? I started a Morgue 2009 thread already…

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75649&p=943246#p943246

Thanks for the heads-up; merged!

Awesome. :smiley:

John DeFrancis.

This one’s a bit personal for me.

[color=#008040]MOD NOTE: Discussion of the late, great DeFrancis has been moved to a thread in the Learning Chinese section. -DB[/color]

Too bad about Travolta’s kid. I recognize that I don’t know diddly about the case and I know it’s not PC to say such things, but I wonder if it might have been preventable if his parents weren’t believers in hocus-pocus witchdoctery.

[quote]Jett Travolta’s body showed no sign of head trauma despite a police statement that he hit his head on a bathtub, and the death certificate says he was killed by a seizure, an undertaker said Monday.

The 16-year-old son of actors John Travolta and Kelly Preston had a history of seizures . . .

Travolta, 54, and Preston, 46, have said Jett became very sick when he was 2 and [color=#FF0000]was diagnosed with Kawasaki syndrome[/color], which leads to inflamed blood vessels. [color=#FF0000]Preston [/color]has blamed household cleaners and fertilizers and [color=#FF0000]said a detoxification program based on teachings from the Church of Scientology helped improve his health[/color]. . .[/quote]
latimes.com/news/nationworld … 2630.story

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_disease

The Stooges Guitarist Ron Asheton Found Dead at 60

[quote]Asheton’s powerful, distorted guitar on songs like “I Wanna Be Your Dog” and “T.V. Eye” was a hallmark of the group’s sound. His “technically adept but also beautifully raw” style was heavily influenced by free jazz and created “beauty out of noise,” said Brian Cogan, a punk-music historian at Molloy College on New York’s Long Island.

“He invents the template for punk-rock guitar,” Cogan said. “He’s the one who allows Johnny Ramone and the guys in the Dictators to play the way they do.”

When he was named the 29th greatest guitarist of all time in 2003 by Rolling Stone, the magazine described Asheton as “the Detroit punk who made the Stooges’ music reek like a puddle of week-old biker sweat.”[/quote]

2009 will see the death of Old Blighty. Once a great Empire and now a sack of shite under Mad Crash Gordon of Scootland and his government of loons :loco: May my homeland rest in peace.

2009 will likely see the passing of Amy Winehouse too. But let’s write the obits after the fact, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

i wouldn’t be so sure if i were you,she’s presently on holiday on St Lucy and ,except for the hideous Tats & beehive, not looking as bad as she used to, also with a much more “normal” looking companion…
this could be her redemption.

No way, she’s a Courtney, not a Kurt.

The Yook is pretty borked, right now, Anyone, but strangely, there’s quite a bit of optimism from many. OK, admittedly from those who had nothing to lose anyway, but. There’s a definite feeling of sloughing off the old skin, out with the old and creative destruction. An amused chuckling about certain sectors of society getting their come-uppance, and thing only being able to stretch so far before changes are made/occur.

It’s not all doom and gloom.

Now way, she’s a Courtney, not a Kurt.

The Yook is pretty borked, right now, Anyone but strangely, there’s quite a bit of optimism from many. OK, admittedly from those who had nothing to lose anyway, but. There’s a definite feeling of sloughing off the old skin, out with the old and creative destruction. An amused chuckling about certain sectors of society getting their come-uppance, and thing only being able to stretch so far before changes are made/occur.

It’s not all doom and gloom.[/quote]

I agree. I am even considering changing my name to Mike_Indawonderful.

Dorothy and her husband Cliff Wasem lost control or their SUV in Idaho, collidided with an oncoming vehicle. 3 dead and many friends and relatives left saddened. He was a good guy and helped me out in many situations. I will miss him and his wife greatly.