The Morgue 2021

I feel like I met her once. Anyway, very sad. 65 is too young and sounds like she was an important member of the expat community. RIP

1 Like

True, but I had this vague sense of “Oh, there was segregation, and then there was Jackie Robinson, and then problems solved relatively quickly after that.” I get annoyed with myself when I realize how many different levels of complexity or fascinating stories I’ve missed. What I’ve read this week about what Aaron went through, oof.

I think the Babe’s wife was at the game where he hit the 715th HR. When asked if Babe would have wanted to be there to witness, she gave a hard no. There are several theories as you could imagine.

Hmm, I do not get that feeling. When I see celebs or soccer stars die, I barely register a blip of empathy. My wife told me what I said about Larry King dying was mean, but he did finally catch up to his career.

1 Like

I kind of remembered hearing specifically otherwise about Ruth, a quick look turned this up

Yeah, that’s a slightly biased article and the author says it’s his opinion. Who really knows? I mean the guy in this article brings up the old Ty Cobb racism rumors that have also been challenged.

Sure, but it provides a good number of verifiable events, and basically agrees with what I remember hearing about Ruth. I think that’s better than “who really knows” but I’ll leave it there.

Yes.

He’s been married like 7 or 8 times. He must have cheated a lot on his exes.

I also never really liked his interviews.

1 Like

He was a shite interviewer and a very odd guy.

1 Like

Yeah. He used to cut people off mid answer and then ask unrelated questions. Really poor. My favorite interviewer, Dick Cavett. He would ask questions and then question his own question, saying things like, “I guess what I’m really asking is…”

2 Likes

Dick Cavett interviews were outstanding. I strongly advise people to youtube them. I didn’t particularly like David Frost - but he was similar. Larry King was like Michael Parkinson.

1 Like

He’s not in the Morgue—thank goodness!—but I’d be hard pressed to think of a better interviewer working right now than Trevor Noah.

Guy

1 Like

Jonathan Swan from Axios is a great interviewer. He’s the one Trump had his train wreck interview with over the summer.

1 Like

Rest in peace, Frau Blücher [horse whinnies in distance]

2 Likes

I find him annoying and his humor very dry.

5 Likes

His sense of humor just doesn’t grab me. He’s pretty corny.

4 Likes

I think he’s awful. And I’m South African.

5 Likes

I much prefer Jon Stewart. There were much better potential replacements. Then again it could be worse. At least he isn’t as bad as Jimmy Fallon. Or James Corden. shudder

3 Likes

Gentlemen, I was not referring to Mr Noah’s comedic talent as such.

I was referring to his interviews, in which I find him to be thoughtful, prepared, self-effacing, and smart.

I make no other claims about the man, other than to say I find him to be a breath of fresh air amidst the brokenness around us.

Guy

2 Likes

I did like his Ben Carson impersonations.