The most recent garish display of affluence, social standing

How do you feel about the fake EU plates affixed to cars in Taiwan?

• I like them.
  • I hate them.
  • They’re stupid.
  • I don’t care.

0 voters

The most recent garish display of affluence, social standing, prestige, stupidity, and ignorance has got to be the foolish fake EU license plates you can see affixed to cars in Taiwan. This fad began in late 2005 to early 2006 and was a minor annoyance at the time. However, you can now see them everywhere. Today, I counted 34 vehicles with these fake EU plates while driving my daily round trip commute between the office and my home.

Aside from being fake EU license plates and Taiwan not being in the EU, there are all kinds of mistakes as well. I’ve seen them with the letters of countries that don’t belong to the EU. The most egregious mistakes appear to be the letters “J” and “K”. What are those for? Japan or Korea? Then there are the cool dates in the yellow on the right side which are meaningless for Taiwan.

So what does everybody else think about these fake EU plates?

Here are a couple examples of the recent trend in Taiwanese foolishness.

French plate

Korean plate (when did Korea become part of the EU?)

Actual Member States of the EU
Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom

Absolutely retarded, especially when it’s a German plate on a Japanese car, or a Japanese plate on an American car driven by a Taiwanese guy who has never left Pingtung and probably thinks foreigners are lame anyway. Where’s the national pride here? Oh yeah, that’s what the fake EU plate with a ‘T’ is for. :unamused:

I saw a Yankee one.

I am buying a couple of those when I go home next week, so when I come back I will put it on my scooter and car. I am also thinking of getting my license plate number engraved/silkscreened on the plates and switching the plates on my car in Taiwan. Will the cops even notice or care? Probably not

Here in Taichung the Tai-Ke scooter trash have started affixing these EU plates to their scooters too, their made in Taiwan Kymco scooters… :roflmao:
Naturally the fake EU plates stick out 5" on either side of the scooter plate, so maybe the inevitable lacerations when they bin it will discourage this kind of simple mindedness…

[quote=“plasmatron”]Here in Taichung the Tai-Ke scooter trash have started affixing these EU plates to their scooters too, their made in Taiwan Kymco scooters… :roflmao:
Naturally the fake EU plates stick out 5" on either side of the scooter plate, so maybe the inevitable lacerations when they bin it will discourage this kind of simple mindedness…[/quote] On their scooters??? :noway: Please take a picture of one and post it. I would love a copy for my book.

I do find this trend – and for the longest time, I couldn’t work out what the J and K stood for – to be stupid. Then again, so much of what does happen here is. I mostly don’t even think about this stuff anymore because there’s too much inane bullshit that I largely can’t avoid that does my head in on a daily basis. I don’t need more. For me, sanity in Taiwan is about trying to set up ways of avoiding dealing with 95% of Taiwanese and restricting my interactions to those who are actually reasonable human beings. There are a ton of wankers in this country and peasant world views run incredibly deep.

That said, do they really give a shit what foreigners think? Since when has fashion ever made sense? Like a whole lot of other stuff here in Taiwan, there’s an internal logic to it and no one even notices, let alone cares, what someone outside the circle thinks. I’m sure even if you pulled out an atlas and showed them where Japan and Korea were on the map, they wouldn’t give a shit because it’s not even about that. So why worry about it? Much like with a whole lot of other people who have to literally display their idiocy with what they wear, etc., I’m actually really grateful these tossers have these plates. Much like any clown with ears on his scooter helmet, I know they’re exactly the kinds of people to avoid like the plague under all circumstances. You’ll never have an accident with one of these fools. It’s the boring looking guys with non-descript vehicles who bushwack you with some crazy lane change or unannounced turn.

Fashions never make “sense”. An EU plate on your scooter may not impress the expats but, seriously, why would a Taiwanese give a shit about that?

Get over it!

Same with Taiwanese trying to look “American” by dying their hair to whatever color you’d normally find on a Caucasian. Problem is that some Taiwanese tries so hard to make their skin look white that it’s getting harder and harder to tell the difference! I almost have to look at them closely (which often attracts some stares) to see if they’re American or Taiwanese. As for national pride?? I don’t think they exist here. I think I am more worried about the lack of morale in the military than substandard gear, should China ever invade. History has examples of people issued substandard gear and still kicked butt.

Are nose jobs next?

You guys are a little rough aren’t you… Every damn place in the world has stupid trends. Why ya gotta hate?? Too bad not everyone can live up to such great coolness.

Precisely.

I could write you a list as long as my arm about stupid shit in the West, especially the fact that so much of it is financed by credit. However, we’re not talking about other places, we’re talking about Taiwan and the idiocy encountered here on a daily basis.

It’s not a matter of living up to such great coolness. It’s a matter of people trying so hard to be cool in such stupid ways. If I saw someone trying really hard to achieve something like getting better at playing a musical instrument, studying hard, or trying to become a top athlete, fair enough. However, we’re talking about people trying hard to be cool by fixing a badge of idiocy to their car by saying Japan or Korea are in the E.U. If I went around telling everyone that 2 + 2 = 5, or that the sky was green, they’d rightly think I was stupid too.

RElax, they dont even know what EU stands for. All they think is its a cool looking plate.

Well, I had an American friend back in New York who wanted to do the Angelina Jolie thing of tatooing oriental words on the body. He went to Chinatown, asked for the Chinese word “Tiger” to be tatooed on each bicep and the shop guy did the tatoo. When he came to Taiwan for a short visit, my taiwanese friend read his biceps and asked him why did he put the words “cock” there. Now he is trying to have the tatoos removed and is trying to find the tatoo artistic to remove him from this Earth.

if this is the worst thing, then Taiwan can’t be that bad. I think its more embarrassing that taiwanese women worship the Louis Vutton bag.

[quote=“daisyhotkiss”]
Well, I had an American friend back in New York who wanted to do the Angelina Jolie thing of tatooing oriental words on the body. He went to Chinatown, asked for the Chinese word “Tiger” to be tatooed on each bicep and the shop guy did the tatoo. When he came to Taiwan for a short visit, my taiwanese friend read his biceps and asked him why did he put the words “cock” there. Now he is trying to have the tatoos removed and is trying to find the tatoo artistic to remove him from this Earth.[/quote]

A. Your American friend is an idiot for tattooing something on his his body that he couldn’t read, write or understand. While it sucks that he got “cock” instead of “tiger”, hopefully he learned his lesson about writing something on his body in a language he didn’t understand.

B. For your amusement I present Hanzis matter: dedicated to the use and misuse of Chinese characters in western culture.

I think they’re stupid, but I don’t really care what someone puts on a car for looks. It just gives me more to be amused with. :laughing:

BTW, this topic has been raised before, over [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/whats-with-the-eu-plates/45691/1

Next they’ll be putting rail tracks on their teeth to get them all straight and lined up like…then they’ll be showing them off at high school…what’s next I ask ya?