The narratives about Trump thread

Trump reminds me of an alcoholic redneck blowhard who was the only one brave enough or foolish enough to apply for the job of going into the swamp to hunt down the creatures preying on our children and our livestock.We had high hopes for him and while there was a flurry of gunshots early on all we hear now is him singing at the top of his lungs somewhere deep in the swamp, obviously drunk out of his mind.

Nice try, Orange Tool:

1 Like

Well there goes spygate…along with pizzagate, Benghazi and the rest.

1 Like

No way is Trump strong enough to crush a beer can.

You know what they say though, to the weakest of the weak, anyone can look strong. :brain:

You seem to be forgetting about Bernie “boom boom” Sanders. AKA White Tyson.

Trump certainly reminds me of John Wayne, projecting a he-man image for the media while being a draft-dodger who refused to fight for his country.

Which probably explains why Biden is leading by 31 points among women to Trump’s 13 point lead among men.

1 Like

Not all AGs are created equal:

An Assistant U.S. Attorney who worked in the Department of Justice for more than three decades and under “19 different attorneys general and six different presidents” is leaving the department because he’s had enough of Attorney General Bill Barr’s “slavish obedience to Donald Trump’s will.”

Phillip Halpern wrote in an op-ed for the San Diego Union-Tribune on Wednesday that Barr is a “well-trained bureaucrat” and a “career bureaucrat” who “seems determined to turn our democracy into an autocracy.” This is a criticism that has been levied against Barr more than a few times during his second stint as attorney general of the United States.

In “I won’t work in Attorney General William Barr’s Justice Department any longer,” Halpern painted a picture of Barr, a person who has “never actually investigated, charged or tried a case,” pulling the strings of the criminal justice system in order to help the 45th president and his allies. Halpern said he had hoped that Barr’s “preemptive misrepresentation” of the Mueller Report was “an honest mistake or a solitary misstep — rather than a deliberate attempt to conceal potential presidential misconduct.” He does not have those hopes now.

Here’s a narrative. Straight from the mouth of Republican Senator Sasse:

'What the heck were any of us thinking that selling a TV-obsessed narcissistic individual to the American people was a good idea?’ It is not a good idea."

“The way he kisses dictators’ butts. I mean, the way he ignores that the Uyghurs are in literal concentration camps in Xinjiang right now. He hasn’t lifted a finger on behalf of the Hong Kongers,” Sasse said in response to a constituent’s question about his relationship with Trump and his past criticisms of the President.

“The United States now regularly sells out our allies under his leadership. The way he treats women and spends like a drunken sailor. The ways I criticized President (Barack) Obama for that kind of spending I’ve criticized President Trump for as well. He mocks evangelicals behind closed doors. His family has treated the presidency like a business opportunity. He’s flirted with White supremacists,” the Nebraska Republican said.

"If young people become permanent Democrats because they’ve just been repulsed by the obsessive nature of our politics, or if women who were willing to still vote with the Republican Party in 2016 decide that they need to turn away from this party permanently in the future, the debate is not going to be, you know, ‘Ben Sasse, why were you so mean to Donald Trump?’ " he said. “It’s going to be ‘What the heck were any of us thinking that selling a TV-obsessed narcissistic individual to the American people was a good idea?’ It is not a good idea.”

The Republican party is splitting into two factions - The Lincoln Project vs Trump Sycophants. In the coming days, I expect more Repubs to come forward. Republicans will, for years to come, have to answer to why they let an incompetent moron of a reality TV star bring our democracy to the brink, undermined our allies, tanked the economy, and failed to respond to the pandemic.

No love for the crooked DNC screwing Bernie…twice and running Godzillary despite her not being a hip young black fella?

To the brink of what? Empty rhetoric?

Ha…that’s hilarious. They have been backing away from us since GHWBush’s New World Order wasn’t followed through on by Clinton. To blame Trump for this demonstrates your total lack of geopolitical chops.

All by himself…in three years…despite all the jobs, record employment and soaring foreign investment?

You can beat that drum as much as you want. You do you. But you’re supposed to use your hands, not your face.

2 Likes

I don’t vote for the DNC and Hillary didn’t let 300K Americans die easily preventable deaths on her watch.

Doing absolutely nothing about election interference from a foreign power.

Claiming mass voter fraud despite no evidence. Pressuring Republican electors to overturn election results.

Using the DOJ to attack political opponents.

The list goes on and on.

Trying to criticize me instead or my ideas? Those words come straight from the Republican Senator of Nebraska.

He grew the economy all by himself. None of that was happening before him under Obama. He did all by himself. But the worst decline in GDP, employment etc. in history. Nah thats the democrats fault.

Can’t have it both ways.

It ain’t me JD. Its the vast majority of Americans who think he has failed. But that’s just fake news right??

If your own Republicans leaders are saying what we always knew was obvious, then it’s time to wake up! You criticize me all you want. But it ain’t me JD.

Trump’s towner.

I have a glass of water and I’m thirsty. When he speaks an actual complete sentence, I will drink.

I have a bad feeling.

Just watched the Biden townhall and thought how could anyone argue he was senile. It was refreshing to hear cogent responses.

The right wing media has certainly gone out of their way to turn a speech impediment into a conspiracy theory questioning his mental capabilities. Sad really that people buy into this crap.

Someone still doesn’t understand individual or state’s rights.

It sucks people are dying, but you gotta have stuff that sucks to enjoy what’s cool.

@ScottAdamsSays
The alternative hypothesis is that the media is capable of convincing most (but not all) of the public of any-damned-thing, and the left-leaning brainwashers decided to tell the public Trump is a racist. But what about all of the examples that prove their case, you ask?

Democrats don’t have access to this information because the news is so siloed. But Republicans generally know the racism examples are fake news. The Fine People Hoax is the prime example. Half the country actually believes Trump called neo-Nazis “fine people.” He did not.

Many believe Trump once took out a full-page ad in the NY Times saying the accused Central Park Five should be executed. But his ad was about violent crime in general, not that one. And why would you think Trump would oppose execution for white criminals in the same situation?

Most of the other “racism” complaints about Trump would be more accurately labelled provocative or offensive. Take the so-called “shithole countries” comment. Offensive? Sure. Racist? Not if you consider how provocatively Trump speaks about everything else.

I could run through the other examples, all fake or out of context. Or I could show you the compilation clip of Trump mocking lots of people using the same gestures he was accused of using to mock a reporter with a disability. Did you fall for that fake news?

I don’t know how we climb out of our national division, but learning to not trust our own news sources has to be the starting place. The political Right is no better, by the way, but their brainwashing is on different topics.

2 Likes

How narratives are manufactured:

No no no. I want people to really get mad about this. Made enough that they demand change. Codified change. Then when rich people start just leaving the country and taking their money with them, peace and prosperity will be had by all that remain. It makes perfect sense.

This is important in consideration of what Rattner’s trying to sell us now. Not only did he swing and miss on the economic and market implications of Trump’s presidency, he’s trying to create the false perception that Trump inherited an economic boom. Sorry, but that’s not what Rattner was saying back in 2016. It’s also not what Summers and Krugman were saying. Not only were Trump’s policies going to destroy the U.S. economy, but that same economy had entered into a period of stagnation that policy couldn’t overcome. Rattner ignores all this. And then he just gets silly.

He claims Trump’s economy “amounted to nothing more than a continuation of the recovery engineered by President Barack Obama.” Ok, but implicit there is that as opposed to reversing Obama’s economic policies, Trump mimicked them to Rattner’s delight. As opposed to pursuing policies that would lead to an “historic” market crash, Trump pursued policies that investors mostly liked.

It’s a reminder that when Rattner makes the laughable claim that Trump is wholly riding Obama’s coattails, he’s fibbing. At least twice. An economy that was supposed to collapse under Trump, was suffocated by “secular stagnation” before him. This was all very much known in lefty circles in 2016. The quotes from Rattner, Summers et al that confirm the previous truth are all over the internet. In suggesting Trump merely inherited what was already great, Rattner forgot that the internet is forever.

So how many Trump supporters actually believe that greedy doctors and nurses are lying about the causes of death because they make more money if it’s covid?