🆔 The "New format for TARC number is not accepted, either"-Thread

Two years ago, I complained to E.SUN bank that I was unable to use the e-payment functionality of E.SUN Wallet. They told me they’re unable to provide this to foreign nationals because of … reasons.

Now as a ROC national (and not one of those foreigners that are so difficult to support!), their app tells me that a national ID card is required.

Of course, this means another complaint is incoming… :whistle:

Hello E.SUN Bank Complaints Team,

I am writing because I still cannot activate E.SUN Wallet electronic payment or join e.Fingo, despite now meeting the conditions E.SUN previously outlined to me.

I formerly resided in Taiwan as a foreign national holding an Employment Gold Card. In 2024, I complained about being unable to activate E.SUN Wallet. E.SUN’s letter No. XXXXXXX said that applications by foreign nationals remained under “continuing evaluation” and that the service process and information system still needed to be built.

I subsequently acquired ROC nationality and am now a national without household registration in the Taiwan Area (NWOHR). Because I have not yet established household registration, I cannot legally obtain a National Identification Card and instead use a Taiwan Area Resident Certificate (臺灣地區居留證, TARC) and UID as proof of identity. E.SUN’s Linkou Branch verified my TARC and updated my records. Now that I am an ROC national, I expected to be able to register for E.SUN Wallet’s electronic-payment service, but was still rejected. This time, the system said that only National Identification Card holders could use the service and that foreign nationals could not register.

On the same day, I also noticed that I was unable to sign up for e.Fingo. Mobile Banking displayed “This service is currently only available for natural persons in Taiwan” (EFGMS-M007). E.SUN’s FAQ says a “domestic natural person” (本國自然人) with a primary credit card or NTD account may apply. I am a natural person in Taiwan, an ROC national, and an E.SUN NTD account holder, so I satisfy both the English system prompt and the Chinese FAQ’s stated criteria.

FSC rules expressly provide for resident-certificate verification; fair-treatment principles call for fair and inclusive service, and Immigration Act Article 62 prohibits discrimination on grounds including nationality. I have activated iPASS MONEY, LINE Pay, Pi Wallet, icash Pay, PX Pay Plus, JKOPay and Easy Wallet with the same TARC and UID. Their acceptance demonstrates technical and regulatory feasibility. Among the payment services I have used, E.SUN Wallet remains the only exception.

Please answer the following:

  1. How does E.SUN define “domestic natural person”? Why does E.SUN not consider NWOHRs to be “domestic natural persons”?
  2. What specific legal, risk or policy basis supports E.SUN Wallet accepting only National Identification Cards while rejecting government-issued residence certificates?
  3. Why do I still fall under the same restriction as foreign nationals even though I am now an ROC national?
  4. What was the outcome of the 2024 “continuing evaluation”? What work remains, and when will it be completed?
  5. Why am I unable to join e.Fingo despite meeting its published qualifications? How and when will E.SUN correct this?