The new index page

ORIGINAL TITLE: Can’t get FF off main menu – and the annoying talking ads

1. I can’t get to this forum off the main menu. Broken link. I had to tap the last post icon and then choose “New Post”.

2. What is with the incredibly annoying, loud ads on the page when you logout? I don’t associate Forumosa with irritating Mucinex ads. Print ads are one thing but animated stuff with sound is really going some. Unless it’s a major source of income, it’s awful IMO.

[quote=“ironlady”]
2. What is with the incredibly annoying, loud ads on the page when you logout? I don’t associate Forumosa with irritating Mucinex ads. Print ads are one thing but animated stuff with sound is really going some. Unless it’s a major source of income, it’s awful IMO.[/quote]

Seconded–just awful. The ads are on the new posts page as well.

Third. Those ads should be relegated to hell. Or stay on my free tv websites. :aiyo:

Perhaps I shouldn’t says this, but I never notice ads and I’m not hearing any music here either.

But I never logoff either. I have one tab that remains logged on to Forumosa and when I’m done I close the tab.

the right side of my Forumosa is all adverts now. The good stuff, the forum stuff, is all squish-squashed onto the left. Thought for a minute I’d been redirected to Tealit :smiley:.

Ads to the right of us, ads to the left of us, into the valley of Flob, rode the six hundred.

I can’t see most of the new posts menu due to a Forumosa Friends ad and can’t seem to close it.

I’m getting the same thing.

It’s like that at work on my Windows XP, but at home on the Windows 7, it looked all right this morning.

Thank you for the bug reports and feedback!

Where off the main menu were you trying to click – the main forum listing on the Forum Index page? Or the site map down below? I’ve tried both and did not have a problem. Plmk if you still have this problem.

[quote=“ironlady”]2. What is with the incredibly annoying, loud ads on the page when you logout? I don’t associate Forumosa with irritating Mucinex ads. Print ads are one thing but animated stuff with sound is really going some. Unless it’s a major source of income, it’s awful IMO.[/quote]Banner advertising is our PRIMARY source of income at Forumosa. And it has been our local sponsors to whom we are most grateful (please support them in return). The annoying and loud video ads are a different story.

We are learning to use OpenX OnRamp, the remotely-hosted version of OpenX. When the OpenX Ad system calculates that it does not have one of our local Taiwan sponsors to deliver to your browser, it inserts an “OpenX Market Advertiser” – apparently similar to Google AdSense’s way of determining what is an “appropriate” ad for you based on your IP Address and other factors. Why the Mucinex-type ad is being shown to you in Taiwan, me in China, or Iron Lady where she is, is apparently a calculated decision.

I dove back into OpenX and found where to restrict certain ads (Note to Maoman: in the Inventory/Websites page under the OpenX Market - Content Restrictions tab). Let me know if you still encounter any video ads (particularly the auto-playing variety).

When you report these bugs, please let me know what browser and operating system you are using. For example, I’m presently using Flock 2.6.2 on LinuxMint to post this message. When I was testing out this new sidebar, the video ads only seemed to appear on certain browsers on my WinXP machine.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]I can’t see most of the new posts menu due to a Forumosa Friends ad and can’t seem to close it.[/quote]I’ve added some code to squish the Forumosa Friends ad in the sidebar. I only noticed this problem when using IE7 on Win7 – before I added the squish code this morning, I did not encounter this problem in any of the other major browsers I use (Opera, Chrome, Safari, Rockmelt, Flock). Unfortunately, I forget to check using IE and FireFox because I hardly use them.

[quote=“Joschka”]Perhaps I shouldn’t says this, but I never notice ads and I’m not hearing any music here either.

But I never logoff either. I have one tab that remains logged on to Forumosa and when I’m done I close the tab.[/quote]What Forumosa “theme” are you using? Sounds like you might be the old Forumosa theme. I plan to add a lot of advertising zones there to encourage Forumosans to switch and use the more stable and secure prosilver-forumosa theme. You can change the theme you are using at the User Control Panel (UCP)

[quote=“Goose Egg”]We are learning to use OpenX OnRamp, the remotely-hosted version of OpenX. When the OpenX Ad system calculates that it does not have one of our local Taiwan sponsors to deliver to your browser, it inserts an “OpenX Market Advertiser” – apparently similar to Google AdSense’s way of determining what is an “appropriate” ad for you based on your IP Address and other factors. Why the Mucinex-type ad is being shown to you in Taiwan, me in China, or Iron Lady where she is, is apparently a calculated decision.

I dove back into OpenX and found where to restrict certain ads (Note to Maoman: in the Inventory/Websites page under the OpenX Market - Content Restrictions tab). Let me know if you still encounter any video ads (particularly the auto-playing variety).[/quote]

[quote=“Nuit”]the right side of my Forumosa is all adverts now. The good stuff, the forum stuff, is all squish-squashed onto the left. Thought for a minute I’d been redirected to Tealit :smiley:.[/quote]What web browser and operating system are you using?

[quote=“Nuit”]Ads to the right of us, ads to the left of us, into the valley of Flob, rode the six hundred.[/quote]Hear, hear! And about freakin’ time to, right? We have long been remiss about designing the website to be friendly to paying sponsors. The webhosting is paid for by our sponsors, so it behooves us to get their message out to Forumosans as much as possible. Please support our sponsors – they are fellow Forumosans like you :notworthy:

I don’t like the new look and find it very intrusive, particularly the way I can’t remove the ad block by scrolling or minimising, and also because it repeats stuff that is shown underneath the page.

While we’re on feedback, Gus, the Advanced Search link in white font is not visible atop the Forumosa banner at the top of the page with the blue floral pattern on white, with red flowers.

Or with the monochrome one that’s like a Greek design with flowers on it.

Folks, thanks for the feedback – constructive and otherwise.

Forumosa Friends gives us surprisingly enough for the very little we have done. But it doesn’t need THAT much exposure.

I don’t understand what you mean by removal by scrolling or minimising. I do plan to remove it from the bottom of the pages where it appears on the sidebar.

[quote=“urodacus”]I may not have used quite the same language as the Cowboy but I share his sentiments. I don’t like the new look and find it very intrusive.[/quote]What is so intrusive about it? Are you referring to the Squish effect I noted when using Internet Explorer? I think I took care of this already

Or with the monochrome one that’s like a Greek design with flowers on it.[/quote]
Noted, and thanks. I’ll move the Advanced Search link below the header

Win2000 (yes), Firefox. Am sure it’s the same for everyone, on Actives it’s a 75-25 split, posts on left & ads on right. Heck I’ll get used to it. But I preferred it with the ads at either top or bottom.

I’m using firefox, 1280x720 res, and the foromosa friends sidebar ad takes up about a quarter of the screen width the last few days. quite obtrusive.

also the images of the vagina cookies and that ad are somehow mixing in my mind when i see it, which is not all bad, but i don’t think I can blame anyone for that but myself.

that’s what i find too. The obtrusive ads on the right hand side. Would far rather have an ad banner across the top of the Actives page, and then perhaps further ads barriers inbetween the LIFE, LEISURE, DISCUSSION, LEGAL sections. KWIM?

[quote=“Goose Egg”]The webhosting is paid for by our sponsors, so it behooves us to get their message out to Forumosans as much as possible.[/quote]I would think it’s better to get their message out as well as possible. Ads actually don’t do so well on ad-heavy pages.