The Night Night Show: Political satire in Taiwan

This young fella is trying to crowd fund a political satire tv show, by using comedy to enlighten the next generation of what is happening in the world.

All the best of luck to him I reckon, and more of it.

Knowing how often the talk show hosts find themselves in hot water -being sued by the politicians they criticize- I wonder how long he can last. He will need a lot of funds to cover those.

The world stops at the Taiwan coastline!

Paaahhh! You bunch of pessimists, at least give him a chance.

He has a youtube channel which is doing quite well apparently.

You should watch. It’s literally the first thing he talks about, and he plans to take Taiwan’s criminal defamation law to the supreme court to have it declared unconstitutional.

This is the trial show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8OmT2rSSaE&ab_channel=STRNetwork

That’s a ridiculous law, you can kill someone on the road and get off with nothing, get sued for defamation and you are looking at a huge fine and jail time.

1 Like

Good luck to him; they only problem with these kinds of shows is that they tend to push one side/party over the other and end up just preaching to the choir.

https://youtu.be/QaEBYegFABY

Brian did an all English skit mockingly introducing Taiwan to the world.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0feFeDeq-Q

Brian did an entire segment in English mocking NBA players who pandered to China.

3 Likes

Brian on DPP’s seemingly failed attempt to amend the Mining Act.

Actually all parties already agreed on removing the worst parts of the Mining Act, and Asia Cement Corporation have agreed to submit to environmental review.

Yet, the amendament failed to pass because people can’t agree on asking for Aboriginal permission and sharing revenues in future mining operations.

Uh…

The article this amendment aimed to remove:

Article 47

After approval of the land use, the mineral right holder shall consult with the landowner and interested party to secure the right to use the land. If an agreement can’t be reached, either party may request the governing agency for settlement.
Landowner and interest party may institute civil proceedings if they fail to accept the settlement as stated in the previous Paragraph; however, the mineral right holder may commence to use the land after depositing the land price, rental or compensation and filing for the reference of the governing agency.

WTF?

2 Likes

I came across this article while trying to find out what really stalled the mining act amendment.

It’s absolutely brilliantly written. At the same time it’s also heart breaking to see the injustice Asia Cement Corp inflicted is tearing Aboriginal Turku communities apart.

玻士岸Bsngan大部落的組成和分布

So there are 6 tribal villages in the vicinity of the Xincheng mine. However, only two are directly under the hill that ACC is hollowing out. Of the two, only Ayu village is entirely under the mine, and Rowcing village is only barely under the mine, with just two households that might be affected.

The thing is, Ayu village wasn’t always called Ayu. It was in fact called Bsngan village. It changed its name because when it was time to negotiate with ACC and the MOEA, only the village lawfully recognized by the government can represent the villagers. The government recognized the larger Truku tribal village consisted of these 6 villages as a whole. This tribal village union is also called Bsngan.

The Ayu villagers living under the mine are the minorities in this larger tribal village union, making up less than 10% of the households. Most of the people in the tribal union, living farther away from the mine, don’t mind the ACC mine. In fact, many of them work at the mine and benefited from ACC.

With even their tribal name robbed from them, the Ayu villagers had no choice but to rename their village from Bsngan to Ayu, and are fighting to shut down ACC against the wishes of most people in their Bsngan tribal union.

The villagers of Ayu have reasons to be angry. ACC acquired the lands through unlawful means and abused Article 47 of the mining act to commence mining without actually securing agreements from Ayu villagers.

In all government negotiations, Ayu representatives not only have to fight against false claims made by Asia Cement Corp, and MOEA, but they also have to go against their own Truku families.

3 Likes

Looks like this episode is set to be the last. I’m sad to see it go, the show was really good.

By the way, Chillseph from the Night Night Show is also the funniest Taiwanese stand up comedian.