It’s a westerner!

I’m talking about the movie genre! :lying_face:

1 Like

Than it would be … a western.

1 Like

Oh well…
Good thing I’m not an English teacher, then! :rofl:

What were they thinking?

What about for artistic purposes when story telling? What if you can’t find any qualified people of color to perform the parts?

@anon38216271, please weigh in with your opinion.

I like it. We’re all monkeys, truth. Probably a bad idea though :slight_smile:

I get why people would glance at it as a bad idea, on the other hand knee-jerkism and glossing over context shouldn’t be accepted. If one looks at it from a perspective of generating conversation towards addressing racism, it’s actually a great idea to stick with it.

Fugazzotto, who always uses monkeys in his work, added: "For an artist there is nothing more important than trying to change the perception of things through his own work.

"I decided to portray monkeys to talk about racism because they are the metaphor for human beings. Last year I was at the stadium to see Inter v Napoli [a match in which Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was racially abused] and I felt humiliated, everyone was shouting ‘monkey’ at Koulibaly, a player I respect.

“I’ve always been painting monkeys for five to six years, so I thought I’d make this work to teach that we’re all apes, I made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from. The monkey becomes the spark to teach everyone that there is no difference, there is no man or monkey, we are all alike. If anything we are all monkeys.”

The problem is that there’s a long history of black people being compared to monkeys. Other races, not so much.

Reminds me of what happened in France earlier this year:

The whole blackface thing is just one more occasion to gain power by screaming murder. There was a historical context where blackface appeared, where the practice was used for mockery and demeaning purpose. The outraged are nowadays implying that passing for somebody of another skin color can only be used in a racist way–which is just not true, as in the example of storytelling Malcolm raised.

2 Likes

I get that it makes sense for us people who don’t think of black people as monkeys. But a major problem with series A with racism is the crowd making monkey noises and even throwing bananas towards black players. So in that context, it’s pretty bad idea imo.

You never saw Keith Jardin fight then.
Total chimp style.

:whistle:

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve recently come to find out, many of these black supremacist groups also have a deep hate for East Asians as well.

!@#&!* hell, good to see they rescinded it

2 Likes

But it’s free speech, isn’t it? Better to have those racists and their vile ideology out in the open.

Meh, they don’t have to invite who they don’t want to.

1 Like