The not-sure-if-racist thread

1 Like

WTF!? So the word “Thug” is now a racist slur against blacks? When did this change?

John McWhorter, associate professor of English and comparative literature at Columbia University

Yeah, I noticed that around the time of Trayvon Martin, particularly Michael Brown. But in reflection probably before. I think it’s more an American thing because in the UK “thug” is still going to be associated with a football hooligan.

4 Likes

Some people are triggered by words.

1 Like

I’ve been doing some research on this. Apparently, “Thug” is now exactly like the word “N*****”.

Blacks can use either and it’s considered endearing or heroic. But whites can’t use either or it’s racist.

“What’s up my thug!” Almost as stupid as the ok sign now being considered a symbol of white racism.

Nougat?

1 Like

When rappers started using it.

1 Like

Rappers started using the word thug → “If you use the word thug you’re racist!”
People on 4chan started using the ok sign for the lulz → “If you use the ok sign you’re a white supremacist!”

I’m starting to see a pattern here, and it’s not exactly the kind of pattern that makes me think of people with an IQ higher than Koko’s…

3 Likes

This is cultural appropriation. The word “thug” derives from a similar-sounding Hindi word, meaning a group of armed robbers. Therefore only Indians should be allowed to roam around in packs, relieving passsersby of their property and giving them a good kicking.

2 Likes

That’s sexist. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Weren’t those the guys who strangled their victims?

*mention people with an IQ below that of a trained Gorilla
*Dr_Milker thinks of women

Really makes you think…

In before:'But he didn’t specify sexist towards which gender!" → it’s current year, can’t be sexist towards men. Checkm8.

1 Like

Well, Koko was a female. Are you denying her womanhood?

I was just checking the Wikipedia entry on it to make sure I’d got that comment right, and it turns out - surprise! - that history is being rewritten to portray thuggee as an invention of the British. It might be the case that thugs have been mythologized, but at the time Britain invaded, law and order in India was … lacking, and there were undoubtedly plenty of muggers around, organised or otherwise.

At least you can call them thugs without being a racist.

Even if the specific group of robbers-and-stranglers didn’t exist, the word itself, and its meaning, is undeniably Hindi in origin. Black urban boys calling themselves ‘thugs’ are no better than those horrible white urban boys wearing cornrows.

I appreciate that the Wikipedia entry includes a photo of the OG Thugs. They look pretty badass.

5 Likes

yeah, you wouldn’t want to cross a bunch of guys with facial hair like that.

I think there are two ways to go from here:

a) You are implying her higher-than-the-average-gorilla IQ was due to her lack of a penis, and Turdo will soon summon you to the Canadian Imperial Palace or whatever they have to give a war hero medal

b) “How come that talking about female gorillas makes you think of women??”

nowayout

2 Likes

I’m going with a). Booking my flight to Ottawa now. Do you think Trudeau will reimburse me? Great likeness, by the way. :grin:

2 Likes