The not-sure-if-racist thread

Looks like it’s been a shitbag county for a while.

Following the Reconstruction era, white Democrats regained control of the state legislature and continued to impose white supremacy across the state through Jim Crow laws. Violence by whites against blacks increased in the late 19th century, with 22 lynching deaths of African Americans recorded before the mid-20th century.[6][7]

Racial terrorism on a larger scale took place in the Wilmington Insurrection of 1898, when a group of white Democrats rejected a duly elected, biracial city government. After overthrowing the Fusionist government, the mayor and city council, they led mobs that rioted and attacked the city’s black neighborhoods and residents. A total of 60-300 blacks are believed to have been killed in the rioting, leaders were driven out of the city, and the presses of a black-owned newspaper were destroyed, along with many houses and businesses.

The insurrection was planned by a group of nine conspirators, who included Hugh MacRae. He later donated land to New Hanover County for a park; it was named in his honor. A plaque was installed there explaining the donation and his life; it does not refer to his role in the 1898 coup d’état.

Soon after, the state passed a new constitution raising barriers to voter registration: this effectively disenfranchised most blacks and imposed Jim Crow laws, forcing blacks out of the political system and into legal second-class status. These civil rights injustices were largely maintained into the 1960s, three generations later.

And then after the 1960s, what’s been going on?

Small town on the south shore of N.Carolina? Never been but I doubt there’s been much of a turnover in the town’s population. If it’s a racially motivated mob, it’s reprehensible.

1 Like

Progressive racism in a nutshell.

1 Like

Isn’t this cartoon attacking standardised testing?

1 Like

Among other things.

No. I think standardised testing is the only thing the cartoon is lampooning.

What else is being criticised?

It helps to know a bit about progressive critiques of standardized testing. The claim is that standardized tests are racist.

1 Like

Therefore a critique of standardised testing. But you used a cartoon that lampoons standardised testing because it’s unfair due to identity, not because it’s unfair.

I think you’ve walked onto a jab here, but I may be wrong.

Look at the cartoon again. The animals being tested are from different species. Standardized tests are for humans who, presumably, are all from the same species. The monkey has an innate climbing ability that none of the other animals there do. One would assume that all humans, no matter what race or ethnic background they come from, wouldn’t have any innate genetic advantage when it comes to performance on tests, right?

I get it, and I’ll be first in the queue to criticise progressives. However, the cartoon is a critique of standardised testing from a progressive viewpoint, is it not?

Right, so it’s saying that different groups, usually racial/ethnic groups when it comes to progressive critiques, should be judged by different standards…otherwise known as the soft bigotry of low expectations. The cartoon also seems to be implying that different groups of humans are as innately different as different species of animals, which is rather bizarre.

I agree, but the cartoon remains an attack on standardised tests.

I’m probably not making myself clear here. You are supporting a progressive cartoon for the same reasons than the cartoon was created for. Does that make sense?

Well, I’m hardly supporting it. Anyway, my problem with the cartoon is the way it’s using different species of animals to make its critique of standardized testing. Humans all belong to the same species and presumably all have the same innate human potential.

Or maybe species is a social construct and that elephant has just been conditioned to think it can’t climb a tree.

The article of course didn’t mention Asian American students.

The test isn’t that hard. It’s ridiculously easy. I can’t see students doing well at uni if they struggle with it. I don’t think the issue is with the test itself.

Unless they’re rather attractive non-identical twin sisters in which case we could organise a training session.

1 Like

Hope you’re talking about humans here. :grin:

That’s where many progressives would differ with you. Math and English are racist.

I’m not so sure.

The test itself is very close to an IQ test. In theory, there is a limit of what a person can do on the test and they can improve it by learning how to take the test itself. But they wouldn’t be able to do better than what they can innately do by potential. The test is also graded based on relative scale to others.

But that innate potential wouldn’t depend on race, right?