The oddest foreigner you've met here -- share your story

Wasn’t very Jesus-ish. Except maybe when he stormed the market throwing over tables.

1 Like

It was really the Wild West in East Asia in the 80s. I wasn’t around, but I’ve heard the stories. You still meet the oddball foreigner every now and then, but things aren’t quite as crazy and unprofessional. Still a little. But not like before.

PS: I also used to teach in Korea. Was in Seoul 2007 to 2014. Can vouch about the former law students who mysteriously decide they want to be low-paid ESL teachers. Some said handling money or the demands of being a lawyer were too much, but sometimes I got the feeling there were some other, less socially acceptable reasons…

People probably said the same thing then.

“Hey Jesus, that isn’t very Jesus-ish, dude”

“The Galilean screaming in Aramaic like a madman in the temple this afternoon. What a dumbass. People just trying to do their job and this guy acting like he is going to blow the place up or something. The entire place was freaking out at this guy looking around trying to figure out what to do. I distanced myself by moving the the other end of the room. Didn’t want to be associated.”

5 Likes

My name is… Judas, but I don’t know him, and then the cock crowed.

1 Like

Does this mean that Jesus has risen again and was in a Chunghua office corner of Dunhua and Heping this afternoon !? :astonished: Presume they hit him with the no foreigner contracts line and he hit back with the Do You Know Who I Am bit!

I suppose after getting his bearings he’d head for CKS memorial hall and assault a cotton candy vendor or something.

I was there then at yeah it was crazy and there was quite a high body bag count from road fatalities, drugs, suicides and mental illness. plus the odd foreigner getting thrown off roof tops in Buffalo Town. Anyone here went to Buffalo Town. If yes then congrats on making it to being at least over 50 but probably 60

2 Likes

You mean Peter…

1 Like

The saddest is when you meet these old guys and they complain that it’s not like the good ole days , easy money and girls and they desperately try to reenact that life at 60 by going to Cambodia and buying women. Ragging on about western women aging badly or being fat or whatever and they don’t look so hot themselves.
I mean you could have grown up or changed but nope they’ve turned into an old creep who people avoid without even knowing it (source: actual folks I was acquainted with in Taichung ).

I also know some really nice and hard working folks here who had to deal with substance abuse issues or other issues that held them back, but they turned that ship around. Well done says I.

2 Likes

When I was 25 and just starting working in Korea a decade ago, there was this old guy Les who would always hang around us younger expats and he drank more than any of us. Would always go off on rants about Koreans, his ex-wife, this, that… never anything nice, always something he was bitter about. Sometimes he would talk about going “whoring” after drinks, which none of us would take him up on. Actually, most of us tried to avoid him. Dude dropped dead of a heart attack a couple years ago while downing his sorrows (as usual) at one of the seedier ex-pat pubs. Kinda sad.

1 Like

there are a lot of young creeps these days. I didn’t know any folk that did that. I know plenty of 30 something guys that go " whoring " in Cambodia NOW. Most of those creeps had no reason to come to Taiwan in those days as Thailand was where they would go. Most of the guys I met in Taiwan back then where artists, musicians , run aways, and Vietnam vets. Thailand had way more perverts, and in fact in the 80s the UK had more whitey perverts than Taiwan, the likes of Jimmy Saville etc

1 Like

A few more years in Taiwan and I will be the oldest foreigner I have met here…

4 Likes

Seriously, I ain’t bullshittin back here, how is it that every single white guy I’ve seen out there for the last couple months is a dead friggin ringer for Mose Schrute??

you mean not “in a relationship”?

Jaysus, now I got to take care of you too?

Single = aonair

For feck’s sake…

Take to the hills and meet some priests.

Eh they aren’t foreigners anymore.

3 Likes

you telling me… :slight_smile:

just for clarification that is a song by a guy who is pining about being separated from his boat… he never saw her again… a beautiful song, sob

Have you been hanging out under bridges again?