The oddest foreigner you've met here -- share your story

now at a radio station?

Weirdest one I never met: tattoo Paul.
Weirdest one I did meet: some guy who told me to read his how to be successful book he just wrote. Never heard from him since, he just disappeared.

Weirdest one I met in china: some guy called Van. He looked just like Iggy pop. Over some beers he told us about his fave full body massage joints - where the women use their full body to massage you. (to be fair the place we were at was full of massage joints) and how he had a kid in Malaysia and how he did jail time there for beating his malaysian wife apparently.

Found his business card not so long ago, googled his name. Turns out pretty recently he committed suicide where he was living -in cancun, jumped off a not so high bridge into traffic and met a grisly end.

1 Like

Just read this entire thread - it definitely took me back. What a fun read.

2 Likes

I think I just found my new favorite thread. Will definitely be taking some time today reading through this entire thread.

1 Like

Johncox Van Michael?

Crazy name, crazy guy.

2 Likes

I need to get back and read that post again… Holy shit xD

Based on what I have read so far, I would like to nominate this as the best post by a still-active forumosan in this thread! :grin:

Posting date: May 2004!

Guy

7 Likes

Here’s my take.

In part, Taiwan has grown up. This doesn’t mean that the entire labour market is open to us (obviously it’s not) but there are a wider range of work opportunities than before, and hence a wider range of people than before (example: all the students and researchers from India).

And also in part, at least in my part of the labour market, the utterly sh%te opportunities in the US and elsewhere have brought educated people here simply looking for work.

I’ve also noticed further diversification after the successes (at least so far) of the LGBTQ+ movement and the passing of the same-sex marriage law, with folks moving to Taiwan due to its progressive image in this way.

The changes I’ve seen have been quite something!

Guy

10 Likes

Is @Mwalimu still doing the vegetarian diet?

Fun to go back in history.

I think it’s just part of the labour market. I certainly met very very few that moved to Taiwan in my industry. The few I met mainly stumbled into it after arriving.

Although… if you look at the salary survey on here there were quite a lot of people that weren’t actually working in education and universities.

And we seem to have quite a few retirees or semi retirees and freelance workers popping in and out of here. Which is a good gig if you can swing it!

1 Like

Yes it’s not across the board is it.

Certainly though we are getting a more diverse (if not necessarily more colourful!) mix of folks nowadays, as per @DrewC 's query.

Guy

1 Like

What industry is that?

Thats the guy! How on earth do you also know him?

The magic of the internet

2 Likes

In the 80’s and early 90’s arc’s were a light orange and would not fit inside a wallet.

Anyone remember the really terrible Busker that was so terrible he was good.
First time I saw him was late 80s last time was about year 2012.
Then I guess he passed on. Tall, white , about 185 cm and sung really loud but about as out of tune as humanely possible.

3 Likes

Yep I remember him, used to sing in the underpasses. Man he was bad.

2 Likes

LMFAO I knew someone would recognize him by being THAT bad. :rofl:
God bless him anyway.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the begpackers…

1 Like

What if Tony was an Aspect of You?