The oddest foreigner you've met here -- share your story

Probably helps they’ve tightened standards a tad so felons who never graduated highschool can become ESL teachers.

Giving them a second chance. Commendable.

@DrewC I thought we had a deal! Don’t blow my cover! :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

I miss the Trucking Days!!! :joy: :laughing: Damn, the picture in the Pressreader link is so funny.

PhD in Taiwan - degree verification - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

I knew this Canadian guy that used to always try to pick up local straight couples. I can’t believe the number of local men that like to watch a foreign guy bang their missus.

I just read through most of this thread, and this quote from a 20-year-old post stood out to me. I don’t know what kind of shenanigans you older people got into 20 years ago, but it definitely sounds a lot more interesting than our Tinder dates today. Looks like I was born in the wrong decade.

5 Likes

That era’s fun-and-games also included dealing with the outcomes of chatting, in what is perceived to be an overly friendly way, with some gangster’s girlfriend, and the resulting mayhem . . . :grimacing:

Guy

2 Likes

Has technology eliminated that possibility?

More (ahem) experienced users of today’s tech will need to chime in to answer that question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

We’re living in an amazing time.

1 Like

One of the first times I went to Costco in Taiwan, in the checkout queue an American guy in front of me with a small 5 year old, who has taken ALL the stuffed animals available in Costco in the shopping cart, starts talking to me (I look foreign) explaining to me how Taiwan is the freest country in earth and how he has build a chemical lab to make explosives for some American companies on the second floor of his house in Taiwan without a problem and how much of a problem it was to do the same in US because of regulations about things potentially accidentally exploding.
He goes on forever about how dangerous the chemicals he works with are and how nobody really cared here after he applied and got the permissions.

When checkout time arrives for him he proceeds to dump ALL the stuffed animals into the counter but tells the clerk he doesn’t want them and proceeds to apologize to his now crying 5 year old about how he will buy they next time.

15 Likes

TicTok recommended him as a potential friend.

2 Likes

Scrolling quickly down the threads, I read this as “the oldest foreigner…” for a second before my bad eyes readjusted.

My encounter was with a guy in his 60s. I’m sure there are many older than him (probably even a few on this forum).

3 Likes

Well, I’m 58 and a serious fucking weirdo.

8 Likes

I prefer the word character.

3 Likes

What’s a “word character”?

1 Like

A bit of a

1 Like

I met an older guy, Jack from Isle of the Man, must be in his late 50s. I used to work many nights in Taiwan, next to main day job to repay off my debt. So during break at 3 am he was drinking outside of 7/11 talking to his best friend in London. I said hey and he went on with something oh god Jonny you won’t believe what happend, a white guy says hello in English in the middle of Chinatown. Call you back my friend. He was extremely happy to met me and we clicked. Drunk bottle of whiskey in no time.

Jack is an old timer, lived in Taiwan since 1996, ex military guy. He knew few old roc generals too. Anyway, rumours have it his ex Taiwanese wife kicked him out and since than alcohol is his best buddy. Jack likes to talk, has ability to tell stories,he is actually very knowledgeable of history, military history, philosophy and geography. Misunderstood by Taiwanese cause of his drinking problems or by Jack words lack of intellectual capacity of Taiwanese people made him lonely and drink more in Taiwan.

Anyway, he had a troubles with eyes and cause of not arranged status he couldn’t do surgery for it. So I helped him going around, was morning in Hsinchu, he had small can beer in his hand, instead of breakfast. He hit food vendor in middle of sidewalk and cursed like crazy. Couldn’t see it coming. Local dude thought Jack is drunk, cause holding a small beer in hand. Vendor guy got mad at him, and came back, backed by up by four wannabe gangsters.I tried to explain he is blind, while Jack says leave it, they are bloody peasants and want our money. Either you pay them to shut up or… Jack locates with his hands where gangster stands. When he has it, bum bum fist left right straight to face. Somehow other gangster fall on floor too like potatoes beg, got dizzy from pollution or what. Rest of them run away like chickens.
Jack says we have a minute or so to get a taxi to get hell out of here, before they call real gangsters and 20 of em come heavy with baseball bats. Chinese know no honour, they fight 20 on 1. He grabs my shirt and we run like crazy. Run faster, I won’t die in this shit hole, are words I will never forget

He was fun to hang out,but very unpredictable. Still invited this madman to my wedding. He surprised me when he came with priest who blessed my marriage. “What kind of marriage party is this without alcohol and priest. Listen young man don’t let Taiwanese have it their way”

Year ago he called me from Colombia, where he lives in exile after hitting police car in Taiwan with his bicycle. Has a new local wife and this days drinks no more than 5 beers per day. He invited me for a visit, but for my well being I decide to skip it.

16 Likes

This guy should at least get a mention. Saw him in a couple of different places.

1 Like

Taiwan tattoo Paul has now moved to China. I hope his drunken Tourette’s has stopped for his sake.

First thing he does when he gets there: finds a bar and sits there drinking by himself. Then goes on a mission to find fags. He is very impressed that you can smoke inside taxi’s in China.

Then he explores the streets of Nanjing, beer in hand. On the hunt for a bar. He finds some hip bars and complains to them their beer is too expensive. Ends up getting (another) can of beer at some local uncles grocery store and sits on a stool outside drinking it.

10 Likes

Well at least he is still alive and kicking. They seem to be letting anybody into China again.

9 Likes